Amedisys
www.amedisys.com Baton Rouge, LA 5000+ Employees

Amedisys Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014
Amedisys – Baton Rouge – “Amedisys Corporate HQ”

Amedisys Chairman and CEO Bill Borne

Bill Borne

Pros:
  • "Good benefits for health vision dental"
    in 13 reviews
  • "is very easy to get hired in other home health jobs after having amedisys experience"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay per visit policy encourages competition among nurses instead of teamwork"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There are no raises or bonuses for the staff (minus upper management)"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great patients, some flexibility

RN Case Manager (Current Employee)
Charleston, WV

I have been working at Amedisys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome flexibility with schedule, decent pay, nice coworkers

ConsHigh turnover causing stress on dedicated nurses.. Living in rural area mileage can easily be over 100 a day. LOTS OF CHARTING!! Can be hard to maintain work /life balance due to lots of charting and phone calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix high turnover. Take care of dedicated staff. Update software so it shortens charting, patients don't like to feel you came to there home to type on a computer.

Opportunity

Director of Operations (DOO) (Current Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Amedisys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHires and promotes from within as much as possible

ConsCorporate structure undergoing significant change

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and retention will save you money in the long term.

No Good

I have been working at Amedisys

ProsGood people in the city.

ConsThe worst management, corrupt, investigations by the government.

Horrible experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amedisys full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe only pros were most of the people at the local office. Great people for the most part.

ConsToo many AVP's who were more concerned about income rather than patient care. Inconsistent AVP's - say one thing one day, then something else the next. Often contradictory. Non-supportive, always critical. Don't hear all sides. Have a tendency to listen to those that say what they want to hear. Unfair. Some of the worst employers that I've ever experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet another job and let the field staff take care of the patients.

Storm's a'brewin'...

Field Nurse (Current Employee)
Ringgold, GA

I have been working at Amedisys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love most of my coworkers and patients. There are always a few thorns among the roses anywhere you go. I love the flexibility of setting my own schedule. It used to be that Amedisys pay was very competitive among the home health companies, but that is rapidly changing as corporate initiates major changes and finds ways to save money.

ConsWhere do I start?
(1) Despite excellent annual reviews, I have never had a raise in almost four years. They also eliminated bonuses over a year ago.
(2) Mileage reimbursement needs to come up to par.
(3) Staff retention is poor. For those of us who have been with Amedisys for a while, I think we are just holding out hope that things will improve or revert back to the way that is was.
(4) IT support team is terrific, but the equipment and software is rapidly becoming outdated with repeated promises from corporate that there will be a new roll out soon. I doubt that, considering the storm that the company is in. I spend much time on the phone with IT without adequate compensation.
(5) Staff is OVERSTRETCHED. Back up call nurses should be reserved for unusual circumstances and not relied on routinely due to lack of planning.
(6) Speaking of taking call...call pay is not sufficient for giving up 15.5 hours of your evening "just in case". Either raise the call pay rate or eliminate some of the unnecessary prn calls that we get.
(7) Communication is sometimes not adequate for prn or auxiliary staff. A good old-fashioned way of giving report on patients would serve us well. Once a week case conference is sometimes not enough to catch changes in status with certain patients.
(8) Amedisys is quickly burning out staff and losing quality people. Perhaps they should take a step back and really listen to what their field staff is saying? Most of us are very reasonable and are in it for the right reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sorry for the storm brewing and that it is affecting your clarity of vision. Good people are jumping ship. Conduct exit interviews and really LISTEN to what they are saying. Websites like this one make it fairly easy for prospective employees to get the scoop on companies before deciding to take a position with Amedisys. Look at the review history and see how the overall rating has declined significantly over the past year. See what your staff is saying. Things are tough all over in this economy, but there ARE other options for employment in the healthcare industry. Amedisys needs to remain competitive in benefits and internal corporate climate to keep it from going down in this storm.

Too much instability and restructuring

Mid Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Amedisys full-time

ProsCompetitive salary and decent health benefits

ConsI would not depend on the stability of your tenure with this company to fulfill any personal goals. It doesn't seem to value the dedication of their staff AND THE CONSTANT corporate reorganizing confirms...

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter and more honesty with your team's

Worst job I ever had

RN Case Manager (Current Employee)
Port Charlotte, FL

I have been working at Amedisys full-time for less than a year

ProsNurses I work with are awesome

ConsManagement sucks. No support. Spend more time (unpaid time) doing paperwork then patient care. Management worries about the numbers only. Condescending to a lot of the staff unless you tell them what they want to hear. Tired of arguing with the "CAM" to correct my OASIS paperwork. Not enough visits to make money to live off of. Patients are not screened effectively and we get tons of non starts.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Offer a thank you once in a while instead of screaming insults. Look at all the good employees that are leaving in droves.

Awful place to work

Business Office Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Amedisys full-time for more than a year

ProsYou are employed.....that's about it!

ConsSome of the challenges of working here are: Your wage will be significantly lower than others in home health industry. You will be expected to do mounds of work with little to no assistance. Training lags far behind the rest.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Improve processes based feedback and results, do not base everything on a bonus or profit.

My coworkers and my supervisor are great. Upper level management and corporate are incompetent.

I have been working at Amedisys full-time for more than a year

ProsI work for a great team and a great boss who care about our patients. The job is very gratifying and what I do never feels like work. Compensation/benefits although are not perfect are competitive.

ConsUpper level management is incompetent. They do not listen to the concerns of field staff and mid-level management. There are questions of upper level management's ethics. The Justice Department recently levied a $150 million fine against the company due to their questionable ethical practices. Upper-level management recently took field staff's cell phones away to save money. This makes communicating between team members to provide the best care possible for our patients much more difficult. I have yet to get a raise after working for two years and receiving above average performance reviews/regular praise from the patients I serve. I would avoid working for this company until upper level management issues are addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to listen and communicate in a straight manner with mid-level management and field staff.

Change is coming

I have been working at Amedisys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people that I work with in my office are great hard working people. The take care of the patients in a caring and professional way.

ConsRVPs, VPs All the regional Regional Clinical and Office People who do not have a clue. One group comes in and tells you one thing and then 6 months later someone else comes in and tells you that you are not doing the job correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Bill is leaving maybe the board should consider getting rid of the RVPs and AVPs and let the DOOs and BOMS report directly to corp. They could give a few raises and Amedisys would get the job done with a lot less expense by people who know what they are doing. Take the POD idea and kick it to the curb. And much of the other crap can be stuck somewhere else. I am looking for another job and waiting to be standing in the unemployment line. They can blame everything on Medicare reimbursement if they want but you can not treat employees like crap and expect great things from them. It is not going to happen.

Worked for Amedisys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amedisys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amedisys CEO Bill Borne. All 209 reviews posted anonymously by Amedisys employees.