Amedisys

Updated November 21, 2014
2.4

Amedisys Chairman and CEO Bill Borne
Bill Borne

Pros
  • Good benefits for health vision dental (in 19 reviews)

• great Benefits good Pay and local office fantastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay per visit, easily burned out as the only focus is on productivity (in 13 reviews)

• There are no raises or bonuses for the staff (minus upper management) (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

THIS COMPANY NEEDS HELP

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Home Care in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Home Care in Amherst, NY

I worked at Amedisys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good compared to other companies.

Cons

I worked for this company for 5 years. In the last year it has become a mess. The staff is so negative. The pay per visit just breeds greed. LPNs are not welcomed or valued. I do not believe there is one person in management that knows how to tell the truth. The Amhearst NY location has fallen apart. The bottom line it is a business and all that they care about is driving numbers. I used to believe in the core values they too are a thing of the past.

People need to be treated like they are a valued member of the team. Raises would not hurt. Keeping a position filled with less than competent workers is a bad decision.

good in short term

Current Employee - Support Staff
    Current Employee - Support Staff

I have been working at Amedisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they are always hiring because turnover is so high, so if you need a job, this is the place. patients and families are wonderful. Good staff in field.

Cons

wasteful of time and money. poor decision-making. take on too many patients when not enough staff. was encouraged at one point to break a regulation.

there will be greater profit if good employees are retained by being given appropriate number of visits. Check NHPCO for typical visits per day and week then work to hire appropriately. IT is very expensive to be constantly hiring and training.

Don't even bother with this company

Current Employee - Business Office Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Business Office Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Amedisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are none, none at all...

Cons

Managers are horrible, salaries are even worse. Blame game is in place always, managers are lazy and ineffective.

Advice to the people at the top, fire everyone and start over...starting with yourselves

Management is not reasonable

Former Employee - Scheduler in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Scheduler in Portland, OR

I worked at Amedisys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

excellent pay, benefits, and co-workers.

Cons

Management was unclear about expectations, and changed their mind often.

Very stressful; not what I was given to expect

Former Employee - Home Health Liaison in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Home Health Liaison in McHenry, IL

I worked at Amedisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits were good; salary was good

Cons

Partnered with another person who didn't have same work ethic

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - RN Field Nurse in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - RN Field Nurse in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Amedisys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The initial training on the computer was a nice review.

Cons

All they care bout is their profit. They give you (RNs) impossible situations, and don't pay you for half of what you do. ie give you a 5:00pm admit, tell you it must be in by 11:00pm that night, but say they won't pay you for that time--only for the visit. I recommended anyone who's worked for them and been cheated out of hours, pay, mileage file a complaint with the Federal Wage and Hour Board. They can't "require" you to take call without paying you a stipend, $2 or so, but they do. That's illegal.

Stop requiring RNs to work for free.

Painful for a Psych nurse

Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse

I worked at Amedisys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the patients. Coworkers care
     Good clin mgr. Director made visits as well as clin mgr.

Cons

Run like hell if you are a psych nurse who does not want to be a medical nurse. After promises to invest in Beh Health and 4 months in..
    I had only 3 MH clients and NOT ONE REFERRAL FROM OTHER STAFF. Sad that patients who need MH intervention are not getting it. Director thrilled to hire me but never talked with me when I had to resign from lack of any psych work.
    Never felt like part of the team. Ignored.
    I am a good psych nurse and care deeply but nurse is a nurse attitude prevails . And I was hired for my psych skills . You will be considered a medical nurse. I had no positive feedback even when I saw primary medical patients. Most coworkers nonreceptive to psych and power of mind.

Hurt by this experience and how devalued I felt. Goodbye Butler Amedisys.
    Pay is low. Nurses seeing 10 patients at times and sometimes at 8 pm. C'mon.
    not compensated for drive time. Ridiculous repetitive charting.

Your compliance staff needed to address the devaluing of the Behavioral Health program. Invest in your psych nurses and respect their comfort levels just as you do with a medical RN who goes overboard and says" I'm not seeing any of your psych patients!"
    Change pay system.
    Focus on how to incorporate psych nurses into your exclusive club.

Favoritism and Bully Supervisors

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Amedisys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling. Good electronic documentation system. Good initial orientation training to home healthcare documentation and legal requirements.

Cons

Staff not notified when office procedures change, then reprimanded for not following appropriate procedures. Bullying of specific employees that performed well, ultimately resulting in less work being given to those employees.

Critical conversations with management and more involvement of the Director in the daily activities of the supervisors is needed. Inconsistencies in communication between the office staff and field staff lead to significant errors and re-work. Excessive travel time between clients is a significant issue with this company, and should be addressed in a meaningful way not only for improved employee satisfaction, but for improved company productivity.

Great in the beginning, went downhill afterwards

I worked at Amedisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and support from team members.

Cons

Company grew too fast but didn't plan accordingly. Some employees didn't want to follow policies and procedures. Management and Board wanted to make profits in not so legit ways, a lot of legal issues.

Be legit!! Plan accordingly, don't try to grow so fast.

horrible company

I worked at Amedisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

corporate IT support, HR, and help desk is very useful and does a great job

Cons

Working as a successful account executive in the Northeast is a struggle. Horrible management and upper level executives don't know what they are doing and are running the territories into the ground. Large turnover rates because of a particular female manager who doesn't know what she is doing, and rambles on and on for sales calls with reps. Distasteful and inappropriate upper level managers that are less talented than any others I have seen.. Oh, and if you do extremely well in sales - expect to make peanuts for bonuses...yet your goals continue to increase.

get rid of the management in the Northeast and start over with some truly talented mentors that are strategic and professional.

Amedisys Photos