Amegy Corporation

Amegy Corporation CEO Scott J. McLean

Scott J. McLean

Would recommend

Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-Good bank with positive reputation in the commmunity
    -Good work/life balance
    -Better than average bank products
    -Trustworthy senior management
    -Competitive salary (for new hires)
    -Genuine interest to promote from within and develop employees
    -Good training programs

Cons-Worst benefits around
    -Outdated technology. MS-Dos was the most efficient banker tool and the systems frequently break
    -Small, capped incentive programs

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the benefits affordable or worthwhile to have. In my opinion, people in an entry level spot (tellers or backoffice) cannot possibly afford these services.

Try to take care of the employees you are trying to develop. When employees get promoted (let alone multiple times), a standard 5% increase generally puts them well below market salary and can lead to multiple subordinates making more money than their boss. This compensation plan makes it difficult to retain top talent because they can make significantly more money by going to a competitor for a similar position.

Mangers that want you to excell

Teller III (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMangers that support their staff and work with them to help them better themselves and get further in their carrerrs. The salary is also very competitive and Tellers typically get paid more at Amegy than they would at other banks (even the big banks)

ConsSome of the Managers can be petty and try to screw over other branches in order to help their branch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more of a united front and less silly bickering among the Branch Managers and Assistant Managers. While we have branches that all have different goals we all work for the same company and should work together not against each other.

Good place to start a career in banking

Vice President (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLife / work balance is great, people are easy to work with, lots of opportunities for growing your professional network and starting a banking career.

ConsOwned by Zions Bancorporation which slows down Amegy. No real synergies from Zions' footprint, pretty much a stand alone separate entity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ProsThe bank is financially strong

ConsCurrent banking environment is difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementAmegy has a strong leadership

A place where you can expand your banking knowledge.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt is a very conservative company, family oriented bank and you will learn a lot.

ConsThere's not much growth and promotion within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ready to think on your feet and out of the box. If you don't know, don't be afraid to ask questions.

considerably better than other places but very political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe pay alone is great along with the benefits is pretty good

Conspolitical atmosphere because I wasn't the type to kiss people to get promoted. Other employees can be petty over small issues.

Advice to Senior Managementget both sides of the story before making a decision.

Great People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery talented group of people
    Company does seem to care about what employees think
    Encourages feedback from employees
    Local name recognition

ConsPoor salary
    Could have better benefits
    Not all departments have the same level of training
    Bais towards those in the Credit Analyst Program

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership is what really makes this a great place to work. They do a great job of communicating to the company regardless of whether it is a critical change to the organization or whether it is just a note of thanks. As I mentioned before, they do take employee feedback seriously and try to take their opinions into consideration.

Worked as an intern under great management. I updated and edited credit reports for management in loan review weekly.

Corporate Banking Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat company culture. Perks of working in banking are the numerous holidays that you can get off of work easily.

ConsWork load may seem slightly overwhelming compared to compensation. Sometimes approaching upper management my be intimidating.

Personal Banker

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe hours and work life balance.

ConsSales tactics and numbers to meet. Pay scale varied to much from branch to branch. I started at 38k a good friend of mine started at 44k with the same position, and similar back ground in the field. Continued to tell me that I could not move up in the company because I had no direct management experience. Would not allow me to attempt or train me. Hired from without the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEquality in pay across the board, revamp sales tactics. I asked specificly when I got hired if they hired within and when it came time to it they hired all new ASM from other financial institution.

Little room for growth

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMost people are friendly and respect each other. The company tried not to hire new employees so there is little chance that they will lay off a person if they are no longer needed. They will move an employee somewhere whenever possible. There is plenty of training for retail employees. Management is willing to listen and consider employee feedback. There is a new employee review system that will take effect pretty soon.

ConsIf you are one of the many employees that was not a banker/finance major, you have little room for personal growth or advancement. There is little trust between management and employees at the corporate and back office level.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeleive in your employees more.

Worked for Amegy Corporation? Contribute to the Community!