Ameren

Warner L. Baxter

management sucks

Current Employee - Telephone Customer Service in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Telephone Customer Service in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they pay you a ton of money for doing nothing

Cons

the rules change from day to day

does no good to offer management advice, they are smarter than everyone else.

Infrastructure Specialist

I have been working at Ameren full-time

Pros

The medical benefits are good. I cant think of anything other Pros

Cons

Poor working environment and poor hours. Work environment is like you will work these hours and do off hours work or ...leave. So you should keep your resume updated. You cannot trust what management tells you. This has been a long standing theme at Ameren. If management tells you one thing, expect just the opposite. Senior management is looking to fill their pockets only. IT should just contract out all of the work.

Resign. Or wait...let's find a company to buy you out and 'clean house.'

Don't Trust Your Career Here

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A regulated utility is a monopoly and people love their product.

Cons

As I write this some good people that I know are losing their jobs. Ameren's foray into the deregulated merchant electric business is ending badly. I'm sure the board members and senior management people that decided to make Ameren the next Enron or Calpine about 15 years ago aren't being hurt by their bad decisions, but many people poured many hours of effort into a lost cause. The ex-CEO once called their merchant generating affiliate the "growth engine of Ameren". Well thanks a lot for letting me put my career into a mis-managed mess that was a waste of time. Ameren is "selling" their deregulated generating business to Dynegy and the Dynegy folks don't need too many of the Ameren people. Now I find myself wishing I never worked there because it's always better to be part of a success than a failure. Avoid this company like the plague, you will be sorry if you put your life's work into this organization, I am.

Stop promoting relatives and people married to relatives. Your stock value won't go up while nepotism is the defining element in promotions to senior management.

If VP is your buddy and you enjoy bureaucratic top-down only management, this is the place for you!

Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative
    Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative

I worked at Ameren full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay in some areas for work performed. Benefits are better than many newer companies but are under pressure. Many types of jobs are available all over state.

Cons

Where to begin? It would be hard to imagine how a company management could drive employee morale much father down. Since Ameren swallowed up the moderately well run utility company I worked for in Illinois, it has been one bad decision after another. Annual employee surveys consistently give horrible ratings to upper management year after year yet no changes. Need new board & management.

Change the culture 180 degrees. Stop the "bad news gets buried". Eliminate layers and layers of bureaucrats. Require managers to directly ask first line employees what would help them be more efficient Get rid of stone-age software that actually slows down work. Fire the top half of the management if necessary.

Application Development Specialist

Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Medical benefits are good. Company location is okay. Free parking.
    Company 401K(but others are just as good and better too)

Cons

I agree with others. Get experience and get out. The company wants to look good, (thats what they got Karen Foss to try to do and fix) but the company isn't fooling anyone.
    The work IS 24X7X365. l would not recommend if you have a family; it is a stepping stone to another position elsewhere. No pay raises. The company can talk about integrity, respect and stewardship in the value; but as the saying goes; "do as i say not as i do."

Get rid of the dead wood. Both union and non-union employees, it's overdue to do some housecleaning and cut the dead wood headcount. Many "paycheck collectors" and this needs to stop. I mean some departments have 24 people doing what 3 people do.

Was great at the beginning, but as I got older and made more money it really went down hill fast.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They offer great benefits, a 401k and a pension.

Cons

They don't value people of experience, they prefer younger employees who they can pressure into a constant "value added" tenure. Always have to prove your worth, you are only as good as last month, and if they don't have future plans for you then you are made out to be stupid and worthless....old. The few that made it into upper positions are set, but those who haven't are devalued and shoved out the door.

Practice what you preach, you spent so much money on Project Unfreeze and don't live by it's principles. You need to realize everyone's strengths and utilize them, don't try and shove them into the same mold as everyone else.

Human Resources filled with managers with no bench strength.

Former Employee - Human Resource Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resource Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, vacation and pension are excellent. I would recommend to a friend based on compensation and benefits only. Wasn't enough for me to stay.

Cons

Management in HR more concerned with their "titles" than what they produce. Inconsistent hiring practices. The on-boarding processes are unprofessional -- no one can answer questions related to benefits or other employee perks.

Slim down the layers of management. Also, get industry leaders in HR that know fair hiring and will model it. Modernize hiring and interview techniques. Hire more support staff!

Slow & Steady

Former Employee - Ameren Leadership Team (ALT) in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Ameren Leadership Team (ALT) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Little to no career growth, difficult culture if you did not grow up in the company, performance has very little impact/recognition

Little to no challenge and not much to be learned

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was satisfactory for an internship, interesting to visit the power plants and facilities across the state

Cons

Work was tedious and not challenging, contributions did not seem to be fully appreciated, supervisors often failed to listen to suggestions, co-workers are constantly avoiding work by socializing

Just because you run a government sanctioned monopoly doesn't mean that you should allow employees to slack off so much

Not for career focused or forward thinking leaders

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the more stable employers in the St. Louis area

Cons

Leadership likes to talk about being innovative, but new or innovative ideas are often crushed under the culture of "We've always done it this way."

Too often management does not look for cost effective ways to manage the company which leads to the constant requests for rate increases.

Be willing to ask what the leadership can do to make the company more viable and increase the value to shareholders.