Ameren

Ameren President & CEO Warner L. Baxter

Warner L. Baxter

management sucks

Telephone Customer Service (Current Employee) Jefferson City, MO

Prosthey pay you a ton of money for doing nothing

Consthe rules change from day to day

Advice to Senior Managementdoes no good to offer management advice, they are smarter than everyone else.

Infrastructure Specialist

ProsThe medical benefits are good. I cant think of anything other Pros

ConsPoor working environment and poor hours. Work environment is like you will work these hours and do off hours work or ...leave. So you should keep your resume updated. You cannot trust what management tells you. This has been a long standing theme at Ameren. If management tells you one thing, expect just the opposite. Senior management is looking to fill their pockets only. IT should just contract out all of the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. Or wait...let's find a company to buy you out and 'clean house.'

Don't Trust Your Career Here

Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsA regulated utility is a monopoly and people love their product.

ConsAs I write this some good people that I know are losing their jobs. Ameren's foray into the deregulated merchant electric business is ending badly. I'm sure the board members and senior management people that decided to make Ameren the next Enron or Calpine about 15 years ago aren't being hurt by their bad decisions, but many people poured many hours of effort into a lost cause. The ex-CEO once called their merchant generating affiliate the "growth engine of Ameren". Well thanks a lot for letting me put my career into a mis-managed mess that was a waste of time. Ameren is "selling" their deregulated generating business to Dynegy and the Dynegy folks don't need too many of the Ameren people. Now I find myself wishing I never worked there because it's always better to be part of a success than a failure. Avoid this company like the plague, you will be sorry if you put your life's work into this organization, I am.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting relatives and people married to relatives. Your stock value won't go up while nepotism is the defining element in promotions to senior management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If VP is your buddy and you enjoy bureaucratic top-down only management, this is the place for you!

Field Engineering Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay in some areas for work performed. Benefits are better than many newer companies but are under pressure. Many types of jobs are available all over state.

ConsWhere to begin? It would be hard to imagine how a company management could drive employee morale much father down. Since Ameren swallowed up the moderately well run utility company I worked for in Illinois, it has been one bad decision after another. Annual employee surveys consistently give horrible ratings to upper management year after year yet no changes. Need new board & management.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture 180 degrees. Stop the "bad news gets buried". Eliminate layers and layers of bureaucrats. Require managers to directly ask first line employees what would help them be more efficient Get rid of stone-age software that actually slows down work. Fire the top half of the management if necessary.

Application Development Specialist

Applications Development Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsMedical benefits are good. Company location is okay. Free parking.
    Company 401K(but others are just as good and better too)

ConsI agree with others. Get experience and get out. The company wants to look good, (thats what they got Karen Foss to try to do and fix) but the company isn't fooling anyone.
    The work IS 24X7X365. l would not recommend if you have a family; it is a stepping stone to another position elsewhere. No pay raises. The company can talk about integrity, respect and stewardship in the value; but as the saying goes; "do as i say not as i do."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood. Both union and non-union employees, it's overdue to do some housecleaning and cut the dead wood headcount. Many "paycheck collectors" and this needs to stop. I mean some departments have 24 people doing what 3 people do.

Human Resources filled with managers with no bench strength.

Human Resource Associate (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBenefits, vacation and pension are excellent. I would recommend to a friend based on compensation and benefits only. Wasn't enough for me to stay.

ConsManagement in HR more concerned with their "titles" than what they produce. Inconsistent hiring practices. The on-boarding processes are unprofessional -- no one can answer questions related to benefits or other employee perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlim down the layers of management. Also, get industry leaders in HR that know fair hiring and will model it. Modernize hiring and interview techniques. Hire more support staff!

Slow & Steady

Ameren Leadership Team (ALT) (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat benefits and work/life balance

ConsLittle to no career growth, difficult culture if you did not grow up in the company, performance has very little impact/recognition

Little to no challenge and not much to be learned

Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPay was satisfactory for an internship, interesting to visit the power plants and facilities across the state

ConsWork was tedious and not challenging, contributions did not seem to be fully appreciated, supervisors often failed to listen to suggestions, co-workers are constantly avoiding work by socializing

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you run a government sanctioned monopoly doesn't mean that you should allow employees to slack off so much

Not for career focused or forward thinking leaders

Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsOne of the more stable employers in the St. Louis area

ConsLeadership likes to talk about being innovative, but new or innovative ideas are often crushed under the culture of "We've always done it this way."

Too often management does not look for cost effective ways to manage the company which leads to the constant requests for rate increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to ask what the leadership can do to make the company more viable and increase the value to shareholders.

Good job, very poor career choice! If you must start here, get some experience and get out!

Career Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLocation.
    Good work colleagues to be around.

ConsPoor career path.
    Poor pay growth.
    No trust in senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the propaganda about being the best company and actually put some action behind the hype!

Worked for Ameren? Contribute to the Community!