Ameren Reviews

Great Benefits, terrible employee development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ameren has great employee benefits: domestic partner benefits, matching 401K and employee discounts and services. Work flexibility is decent for the most part for management employees. Pay is decent, but could be better. The company has made great strides in increasing public image and employee branding and culture.

Cons

Movement in the company is uncommon. It is easier to make a lateral move than to advance your career. The strong focus on diversity is more polarizing that it is uniting. Hires and transfers seem to be made based on image rather than skill.

Listen to the employees about what matters to them rather than listening to what the business world says should be important to employees.

Slow & Steady

Former Employee - Ameren Leadership Team (ALT)  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Ameren Leadership Team (ALT) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Little to no career growth, difficult culture if you did not grow up in the company, performance has very little impact/recognition

Infrastructure Specialist

I have been working at Ameren full-time

Pros

The medical benefits are good. I cant think of anything other Pros

Cons

Poor working environment and poor hours. Work environment is like you will work these hours and do off hours work or ...leave. So you should keep your resume updated. You cannot trust what management tells you. This has been a long standing theme at Ameren. If management tells you one thing, expect just the opposite. Senior management is looking to fill their pockets only. IT should just contract out all of the work.

Resign. Or wait...let's find a company to buy you out and 'clean house.'

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, too short handed in quality positions..

Current Employee - Distribution Systems Operations Supervisor  in  Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Distribution Systems Operations Supervisor in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is good, benefits are even better (for now). Somewhat care about what you think and will allow you to make the job better for everyone involved. Rebuilding their system to meet future demands.

Cons

If you are good at your job, and would like to transfer to another department, you can forget it. They use whatever they can to keep you where you are. Changes the pay scale of jobs without reflecting those changes with current employees. This is only done with new hires.

Be a true leader. No more do as I say and not as I do.

OK but no growth

I have been working at Ameren full-time

Pros

Great benefits and pay is good

Cons

Zero opps for growth-no advancement

Stable, Slow Paced, Nice work-life balance

Former Employee - Project Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Satbility, Work Life Balance, good retirement benefits

Cons

Slow Pace, few growth opportunities

Provide greater growth opportunities

Little to no challenge and not much to be learned

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Pay was satisfactory for an internship, interesting to visit the power plants and facilities across the state

Cons

Work was tedious and not challenging, contributions did not seem to be fully appreciated, supervisors often failed to listen to suggestions, co-workers are constantly avoiding work by socializing

Just because you run a government sanctioned monopoly doesn't mean that you should allow employees to slack off so much

Good IT Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work groups
    Benefits are good
    PMO is structured
    40 Hr weeks
    Pay is decent

Cons

Hard to get promotions
    Union workers get OT vs. Management IT workers

Don't Trust Your Career Here

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A regulated utility is a monopoly and people love their product.

Cons

As I write this some good people that I know are losing their jobs. Ameren's foray into the deregulated merchant electric business is ending badly. I'm sure the board members and senior management people that decided to make Ameren the next Enron or Calpine about 15 years ago aren't being hurt by their bad decisions, but many people poured many hours of effort into a lost cause. The ex-CEO once called their merchant generating affiliate the "growth engine of Ameren". Well thanks a lot for letting me put my career into a mis-managed mess that was a waste of time. Ameren is "selling" their deregulated generating business to Dynegy and the Dynegy folks don't need too many of the Ameren people. Now I find myself wishing I never worked there because it's always better to be part of a success than a failure. Avoid this company like the plague, you will be sorry if you put your life's work into this organization, I am.

Stop promoting relatives and people married to relatives. Your stock value won't go up while nepotism is the defining element in promotions to senior management.

If VP is your buddy and you enjoy bureaucratic top-down only management, this is the place for you!

Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative
    Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay in some areas for work performed. Benefits are better than many newer companies but are under pressure. Many types of jobs are available all over state.

Cons

Where to begin? It would be hard to imagine how a company management could drive employee morale much father down. Since Ameren swallowed up the moderately well run utility company I worked for in Illinois, it has been one bad decision after another. Annual employee surveys consistently give horrible ratings to upper management year after year yet no changes. Need new board & management.

Change the culture 180 degrees. Stop the "bad news gets buried". Eliminate layers and layers of bureaucrats. Require managers to directly ask first line employees what would help them be more efficient Get rid of stone-age software that actually slows down work. Fire the top half of the management if necessary.

Worked for Ameren? Contribute to the Community!