Ameresco

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ameresco CEO George Sakellaris

George Sakellaris

Great people locally, but HQ lacks direction.

Renton, WA

ProsTalent: Ameresco employs some of the brightest minds I've had the pleasure of dealing with. 90% of the local staff is top notch.
    Communication: Everyone is eager to help each other and knowledge is shared freely.
    Environment: Management is involved and coordinated without being in your business and looking over your shoulder. A high level of trust is shown and earned with competence and not brown nosing.
    Salary: Pay is competitive and fair. You can probably find a higher salary somewhere else, but it's not much more, and it's certainly not worth the headaches.

ConsBenefits: No vehicles. I've put 60k miles on my personal car in 2 years (exactly 2 years as of post date). Bonuses are sporadic and I don't know what they're for or how to get more of them.
    Use of Resources: I've never spoken to anyone from a different region (excluding Framingham). There are solar and utility management divisions that don't ever get utilized when we all exist under the same umbrella.
    Disconnect from Corporate: This is the big one. Ameresco's strategy was to gobble up smaller companies to establish market share nationally. This is well and good, but it seems like they did it without any sort of plan on how they would commingle all of these different offices.Everything from payroll issues, HR problems, expenses and budgets needs to go through the mothership in Boston. It's incredibly inefficient at best and mind-numbingly annoying at worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your regional offices the tools to succeed. Also, quit missing projections and pile driving the stock.

Bright minds crippled by a lack of vision.

ProsAmeresco employees some of the brightest and most dedicated individuals I've ever had the pleasure of working with. The compensation is fair. The company endeavors to pursue innovative projects in the industry, which keeps the work interest.

ConsMuch of the day-to-day life is dictated by your manager. Thus, I find it often unfair that my co-workers enjoy benefits to which my manager doesn't prescribe to (e.g., flex time). Fifty+ hour work weeks are normal for some workers, while others barely work 30. Furthermore, there is a lack of continuity between regions. Operations and communications across the company are disjointed due to the Ameresco's strategy of quickly acquiring new companies without any sort of integration plan into the corporate structure (which is weak to begin with). I also find that there are few growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement mandatory corporate polices for all regions/acquisitions so information and expertise become accessible to all employees.

Good place for experience, but don't expect career advancement.

ProsGood benefits, salary is OK, people are great

ConsUnannounced late nights and some weekends

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting industry with lack of employee recognition

ProsAmeresco is in one of the hottest industries
    It has offices all over the country
    In previous years, it has grown wildly and still has the potential to
    People are generally nice friendly and smart

ConsAmeresco values its employees just slightly more than the toner that it prints it's proposals with
    Salaries are minimized (and probably the lowest in the industry), benefits are being cut, and any incentive to employees (virtually none anyway) are being taken away as the company tries to become a proper large public company
    Bonuses have been nonexistent for several years and are likely to stay that way with the huge misalignment between bonus structure and individual performance
    Office perks are limited to bad burnt coffee that is touted as something the company doesn't have to provide
    Upward mobility is virtually nonexistent as the company structure hasn't changed in a decade

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that the people are the most important asset and worth spending more money on - start with hiring the very best to get out of trouble and grow, then put in place and incent individual performance

Company with strong focus

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsOther employees are good to work with

ConsPoor internal communication
    Break neck work pace
    Do not appreciate employees

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove internal processes to assist work flow effectivness
    Communicate more effectively with rank and file

Great atmosphere, but a bit disjointed.

Commissioning Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere, good pay, good benefits. Knowledge and experience of employees is very good. Encouraged to ask questions and get job done right the first time.

ConsExpansion practices leave regional offices disconnected from HQ. Antiquated expense proceduretakes up time and reimbursement is slow. Lots of travel and no company vehicle.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpenses should be handled in a way that it doesn't take a month or more to get reimbursed. Greater collaboration between offices while detaching a bit from HQ could be beneficial.

Entry Level Project Engineer

Junior Project Development Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAmeresco offers fair pay, good benefits, a generally autonomous work environment. It is an exciting industry to operate in and a highly reputable company therein.

ConsOften too little oversight and poor internal communication, occasional lack of internal transparency, not by design so much but seemingly more due to stretched resources at certain levels of company hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the needs and thoughts of your teams are being listened to (not just heard), appreciated, and acted upon.

Engineering

Project Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood company, they treat staff well and pay well

ConsThe company seems to be a bit disorganized and segmented from office to office

Advice to Senior ManagementI think as they grow they have to being to implement better wholistic company practices.

Flexible work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe office location was easy to get to and the flexibility interns of timing. Also, ability to opportunity to networking through seminars and conferences.

ConsNot opportunity to advance quickly enough and no formal structure in the organization. All the offices operate as an independent office.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to bring cohesiveness to the organization in order to operate and function properly. Better leverage resources between offices and peoples.

Worked for Ameresco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ameresco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ameresco CEO George Sakellaris. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Ameresco employees.