Ameresco

Intern

Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Ameresco

Pros

Excellent company culture. Everyone in the office was very kind and open to giving advice, constructive criticism as-well as listening to what concerns and questions I had. Really enjoyed my experience. Got business cards as an intern.

Cons

I cannot think of any negative experiences that I had during my four month internship with the company. The only thing that comes to mind is that the HR which is located at another office had me on 401K as an intern by accident they didn't pay enough attention.

Keep doing exactly what you are doing. I think the management is very friendly and fantastic. I got to work with the program manager as an intern. He was easily available.

Great company on paper, however, much collaboration and useful insight is lacking.

I worked at Ameresco full-time

Pros

Great benefits, valuable industry to work in and gain experience.

Cons

No room for advancement, most departments are highly understaffed and overworked. They'd rather hire numerous engineers when it's not imperative, but refuse to hire more HR, marketing, accounting professionals etc, while it is indeed imperative; this is very concerning considering Ameresco is about an 1,000 employee publicly traded company. There are companies with 200, 300, 400, etc employees, and even most companies that are in this bracket have larger respective departments that I've listed previously. It's too bad that a larger scale, publicly traded company doesn't value these employees as they should. Long hours; people have had to work during their vacation time, which is quite a shame. A previous colleague of mine had to stay in the office for a straight 36 hours in order to finish a project. This is a high concern, considering that's highly illegal. :/ I left the company because I did not want to catch myself in that scenario, for that is not worth my time and sanity, especially considering overtime rates are not provided, it's really just a complete and utter shame that that had to happen to my former colleague.

No company credit cards, which again, is a little concerning considering they are such a large publicly traded company.

The company's hierarchy and organization is extremely disorganized and confusing, this isn't quite a big deal; I guess as long as things get done, that's all that matters. Some of upper management seems to be a little out of touch, meaning they lack detail orientation. Salary could be better.

Just reflect on the things I've listed above.

Not a great place to work

I have been working at Ameresco

Pros

Flexible schedule, competitive pay, good 401K and health benefits

Cons

lack of raise in some groups. Lack of strategic direction when acquiring new companies

Talk to the technical experts BEFORE the next acquizition

Bright minds crippled by a lack of vision.

I have been working at Ameresco

Pros

Ameresco employees some of the brightest and most dedicated individuals I've ever had the pleasure of working with. The compensation is fair. The company endeavors to pursue innovative projects in the industry, which keeps the work interest.

Cons

Much of the day-to-day life is dictated by your manager. Thus, I find it often unfair that my co-workers enjoy benefits to which my manager doesn't prescribe to (e.g., flex time). Fifty+ hour work weeks are normal for some workers, while others barely work 30. Furthermore, there is a lack of continuity between regions. Operations and communications across the company are disjointed due to the Ameresco's strategy of quickly acquiring new companies without any sort of integration plan into the corporate structure (which is weak to begin with). I also find that there are few growth opportunities.

Implement mandatory corporate polices for all regions/acquisitions so information and expertise become accessible to all employees.

Great people locally, but HQ lacks direction.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talent: Ameresco employs some of the brightest minds I've had the pleasure of dealing with. 90% of the local staff is top notch.
    Communication: Everyone is eager to help each other and knowledge is shared freely.
    Environment: Management is involved and coordinated without being in your business and looking over your shoulder. A high level of trust is shown and earned with competence and not brown nosing.
    Salary: Pay is competitive and fair. You can probably find a higher salary somewhere else, but it's not much more, and it's certainly not worth the headaches.

Cons

Benefits: No vehicles. I've put 60k miles on my personal car in 2 years (exactly 2 years as of post date). Bonuses are sporadic and I don't know what they're for or how to get more of them.
    Use of Resources: I've never spoken to anyone from a different region (excluding Framingham). There are solar and utility management divisions that don't ever get utilized when we all exist under the same umbrella.
    Disconnect from Corporate: This is the big one. Ameresco's strategy was to gobble up smaller companies to establish market share nationally. This is well and good, but it seems like they did it without any sort of plan on how they would commingle all of these different offices.Everything from payroll issues, HR problems, expenses and budgets needs to go through the mothership in Boston. It's incredibly inefficient at best and mind-numbingly annoying at worst.

Give your regional offices the tools to succeed. Also, quit missing projections and pile driving the stock.

Good place for experience, but don't expect career advancement.

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, salary is OK, people are great

Cons

Unannounced late nights and some weekends

Exciting industry with lack of employee recognition

I have been working at Ameresco full-time

Pros

Ameresco is in one of the hottest industries
    It has offices all over the country
    In previous years, it has grown wildly and still has the potential to
    People are generally nice friendly and smart

Cons

Ameresco values its employees just slightly more than the toner that it prints it's proposals with
    Salaries are minimized (and probably the lowest in the industry), benefits are being cut, and any incentive to employees (virtually none anyway) are being taken away as the company tries to become a proper large public company
    Bonuses have been nonexistent for several years and are likely to stay that way with the huge misalignment between bonus structure and individual performance
    Office perks are limited to bad burnt coffee that is touted as something the company doesn't have to provide
    Upward mobility is virtually nonexistent as the company structure hasn't changed in a decade

Learn that the people are the most important asset and worth spending more money on - start with hiring the very best to get out of trouble and grow, then put in place and incent individual performance

Company with strong focus

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Ameresco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Other employees are good to work with

Cons

Poor internal communication
    Break neck work pace
    Do not appreciate employees

Improve internal processes to assist work flow effectivness
    Communicate more effectively with rank and file

Entry Level Project Engineer

Current Employee - Junior Project Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Junior Project Development Engineer

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ameresco offers fair pay, good benefits, a generally autonomous work environment. It is an exciting industry to operate in and a highly reputable company therein.

Cons

Often too little oversight and poor internal communication, occasional lack of internal transparency, not by design so much but seemingly more due to stretched resources at certain levels of company hierarchy

Make sure the needs and thoughts of your teams are being listened to (not just heard), appreciated, and acted upon.

Engineering

Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ameresco

Pros

Good company, they treat staff well and pay well

Cons

The company seems to be a bit disorganized and segmented from office to office

I think as they grow they have to being to implement better wholistic company practices.