AmeriBen Reviews

Reset
3.1
AmeriBen CEO T. Andrew Fujimoto
T. Andrew Fujimoto

1. "Great Culture...Not for everyone though."

Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Meridian, ID

I have been working at AmeriBen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The values and emphasis on leadership is the main focus.. probably more than your actual work. 2. There really isn't a lot of stress involved, and you get to listen to music at your desk. 3. Flexible, livable work hours. Staff wants to help you succeed.

Cons

1. Insurance world. I don't know many people that are passionate about insurance (even those who work here. So it can be frustrating for those who want to live with a purpose.) 2. Workaholics. If you are looking for a place to make friends, this probably isn't the place for you. Work is work, and social life is somewhere after work. 3. Management team is very (private) and leaves the rest of us "normal folk" confused on how and why decisions are made.

Advice to Management

Open an anonymous questions poll to the entire company once a year. Record all the questions, and fill out an answer sheet giving a specific answer to each question being asked. (No not a company survey, where everything is the same... a chance for the employees to give questions to the management team and allow them to answer it openly and honestly.)

2. The idea of building good leaders is noble. I wish they paid better.

Pros

I like upper management. They have the employees best interest in mind.

Cons

Salary isn't comparable to other companies. The wages are barely liveable.

Advice to Management

You have some loyal people that work for you.

3. Systems Specialist Representative

Current Employee - Specialist In Systems in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Specialist In Systems in Meridian, ID

I have been working at AmeriBen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executive team is great they seem to really care about the employees. The purpose and culture about this company is also great. Overall good people to work with on a daily basis. I get to make up my own hours we really didnt have that in customer care.

Cons

The middle management is not so great. They are nice but not really supervisor material. Pretty much had to suck up to get the position i wanted. Thats all you can do with middle management or they will not help you. People work too hard and not enough recognition.

Advice to Management

Send out survey so we are able to give feedback on supervisors.

Short Term Disability

Former Employee - Disability Assistant in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Disability Assistant in Meridian, ID

I worked at AmeriBen (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the culture; the people; and the opportunities available to grow personally. I liked the "family" atmosphere and the open door to upper management. I liked the weekly Leadership Forums and the monthly Company View. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

The only con I have would be the small percent in raises.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and stay true to the cores. Andy is a true leader!

I Love it Here

I have been working at AmeriBen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company: The company is a market leader in the niche where it competes: helping massive employers create custom benefits plans with a dominant healthcare network. There isn't another administrator in the country who can do what AmeriBen does for its clients, and it saves them millions of dollars annually. Culture: The culture is extremely positive. This is a workplace that encourages you to learn and participate and give back. It is family focused and does a lot of extracurricular activity to help the employees learn and develop. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars annually on the employees professional development that would not be done at another company. My coworker, who is a mother of teenage/tween children, just graduated with her bachelor's degree that was fully paid for by the company, in a field that wasn't directly benefiting her immediate job. My other coworker is able to keep her kids on traveling soccer teams thanks to company sponsorship.

Cons

Pay and Benefits: The benefits aren't stellar, and pay could be higher, though if you are in Idaho it's not bad. Culture: The culture is a pro and a con. It's definitely not for everyone. The majority of the negative reviews on this site are from ex-employees who it didn't resonate with and say it's a "churchy" culture. Churchy=Positive, Family Friendly, Inspiring, Motivational. There is a lot of that at other large firms that are mission-driven: Chik Fil A, Hobby Lobby, etc. AmeriBen is sincerely trying to inspire its employees to be super people. That is a worthy cause and one I can get behind. For people who are cynical, it is a terrible fit.

Advice to Management

None, I love my job.

gone are the halcyon days

I worked at AmeriBen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO truly lives by the 'Cores'. Good people working there back when I was there.

Cons

Way too much emphasis on non-work activities. Nepotism rampant. LDS culture runs throughout and those who are 'in the fold' are alienated.

Advice to Management

Promote and incent your good people to get them to stay. Less stress on extracurriculars and more emphasis on actual work and process improvement. Please get an actual HR professional in there and conduct compensation and benefits benchmarking: if you're going to be below market in comp (and AmeriBen/IEC is!), you need to be above in benefits and other perks.

If you like pulling a knife out of your back

Current Employee - Non LDS
    Current Employee - Non LDS

I have been working at AmeriBen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a place to work. There are some good people there.

Cons

It is very fake, it seems that all company meetings are encompassed with with messages of sadness in an attempt to motivate the masses (literally every meeting and company event). All these messages are similar to what you would hear if you went to a particular church( without mentioning it) Management all but forces you to join committees and donate to charities and do work in the community. This is very hard for most to do when the pay is so low you can barely pay your own bills. Benefits are beyond terrible and unaffordable if you have a family. Don't expect to promote unless you are an attractive individual for clients to look at. Lots of shady activity in management. If you excel at your job don't expect to promote because they don't want to lose you in that position. More backstabbing than an episode of the Sopranos.

Advice to Management

Accept feedback from low level employees! Mid management is deceitful and destroy people mentally. Stop turning a blind eye and pretending this is a utopia.

Bullying workplace

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

I have been working at AmeriBen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck. I am actively looking for employment, I need to escape - this place is a prison - and that's the Pros.

Cons

Bullying culture. Terrible benefits. Too much 'god' in the work place. Need to sign waiver to attend christmas party stating you or your guest will not embarass the company if you or your guest drink alcohol. In order to get thru this party you have to drink - the party is a Mormon sermon. If you want to be supressed and not allowed to think on your own - this company could be for you. If you have a brain in your head and want to use it - avoid this company.

Advice to Management

Stop walking around with fake smiles on your face - it's sickening.

This company is a front for the Mormon church

Former Employee - RN Boise in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - RN Boise in Boise, ID

I worked at AmeriBen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some nice employees.

Cons

This company is a Mormon organization which embraces a culture of bullying from the top down (done with a big smile on their faces). Employees are required to attend mandatory meetings whereby they are then subjected to subliminal messaging and brainwashing in order for 'management' to control and indoctrinate their workforce. God comes into these mandatory meetings, which is pretty much illegal in 21st century USA. Being grateful is another thing 'management' expect of their staff. Yes, we should all be grateful for the 3 days vacation they so kindly give us each year. For the non payment of holiday pay for the first 90 days of employment. For the continuous mention of 'CULTure' whereby there is none. The CULTure is Mormon values. You have 5 choices within this company: 1. You are LDS 2. You are willing or bullied into converting to LDS 3. You go to work, you close your eyes (for whatever reasons you may have) 4. You get fired for not embracing the CULTure 5. You leave! Doing a good job is secondary to embracing the LDS CULTure.

Advice to Management

How about being honest about what this company really is. I'm sure some of your clients might be interested!

11. Great culture

Pros

The company is very focused on culture and having a positive impact on people's lives.

Cons

Sometimes the attention put on growing and changing the world is overwhelming. Some days are like work to just be work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing whT your doing. But remember even good things need moderation.

RSS Feed </> Embed