AmeriCares Foundation
www.americares.org Stamford, CT 150 to 499 Employees

AmeriCares Foundation Reviews

Updated Jan 24, 2014

Curt Welling

Great mission, but can't say the same about everyone there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsThe energy level and passion in what they do.

ConsHowever great their mission, there are certain people who should not be where they are due to the lack of either people skills, knowledge in the field, or management skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the management is to listen to the reasons why people leave and eliminate the causes before the organization is ran by egotistical higher ups!

Passionate people, great opportunities!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have been working here for several years now. Currently, this organization is going through a positive, revolutionary transition. With the advent of a new CEO in the beginning of 2014, I believe that evolution will catalyze faster. AmeriCares is slowly transitioning from a medical aid and humanitarian aid organization to a more development and program oriented organization, still maintaining its emergency response and humanitarian aid as its strongest base. This is a place to work if you have a passion to work in the humanitarian development and global health fields. People here love what they do, they are an energetic, passionate bunch who truly care. Apart from that, friendly community, great work-life balance especially for females.

ConsSome departments can seem a little disconnect with the overall mission of this organization. But the higher management is working on regular communication and education.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency on the direction AmeriCares is heading in the next 5 years.

Strong community despite high turnover on some teams

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsReal opportunities for responsibility growth available to employees

ConsWork on some teams can be the same day-in and day-out so it can take some effort to stay motivated towards larger goals

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology overhaul is advisable and they are already planning for it

Big hearted people, but fairly inefficient

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsEveryone really is passionate about what they are doing and cares about the company. Everyone is very friendly and always says Hi.

ConsThings are very inefficient and move extremely slowly as a result.

Great Place but Stagnant Career Ops

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsVery supportive environment. People who genuinely believe in the mission of the organization.

ConsDifficult to grow, career wise.

Make what you want of it.

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsA great working environment.
An amazing place for people with family as lot of flexibility is given in times of personal need.
Efforts are constantly being made to make you feel a part of the family and give you sense of belonging.

ConsThere is no opportunity for professional growth and advancement.
A clear strategic vision of the organization is missing.
There is no sense of competence to levels of compensation or title.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate strategic vision
Professional advancement opportunities

Who's on first?

Associate Director (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsGood mission and execution and coverage of less publicized crises

ConsSenior management is secretive and spends more time talking and holding meetings than putting plans into action. The culture prescribes that you "kiss the ring" of CEO and other senior management. Confusing fiefdoms

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop action and implementation plans. Then measure progress

This foundation is a wonderful place to work in the non-profit area.

Not Given (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsThe culture is great. We were doing work to benefit those in need. You left for the day feeling good that you had benefited others in need. The world of non-profit is much needed in today's economy and AmeriCares does wonderful work through out most of the world. They have great pharmaceutical companies that are donating drugs and relief supplies. Their work deserves better recognition as a good place to contribute. Almost all of the money given is used for goods. The percentage of money that is used for administration is minimal compared to many non profits. You have a good feeling when you work here.

ConsI was really happy there. It was unfortunate that I was caught in downsizing as the economy sank. The only downside is that when donations are down, the organization cannot do as much for others and when they had to let people go save on funds, some experienced people were let go and severance was minimal although the organization offered some time of re-employment workshops. I think that we were such a close group, I am sure that the environment has changed and it will be a while before things get somewhat back to normal. I wish them well. thanks

Advice to Senior ManagementReally think about the work that people do don't get too top heavy - you need to have experienced employees at lower levels. It is great that you are getting lots of volunteers, many having some experience so they can help fill needs.

A good place to "get your feet wet" in international assistance before moving on to a more developmentally focused NGO.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsAmong NGOs that provide in-kind medical donations, AmeriCares is a leader in the field for the quality and volume of donations distributed. The organization has a history of being among the first to deliver assistance both internationally and within the USA when disaster strikes. Unknown to most is that AmeriCares does much more than disaster response. Much of AmeriCares assistance helps support on-going healthcare programs overseas managed by local charitable organizations who, without AmeriCares donations, would have difficulty delivering critical healthcare in many of the world's poorest regions. Additionally, AmeriCares implements three important domestic programs: providing free medical care for the uninsured, organizing teams of volunteers to carry out critical home repairs for the poor and elderly, and providing a summer camp experience annually for HIV/AIDS affected children. Staff at AmeriCares are generally young, enthusiastic and dedicated. AmeriCares gives many their first opportunity to work in a humanitarian organization with international and domestic activities.

ConsFor individuals interested in a career in international health, there is little actual healthcare programming that takes place as the primary task for managers and associates in the Program Department involves assigning the medical donations that AmeriCares has received to the various partner agencies overseas, ensuring that these donations are shipped in a timely manner and that partners notify AmeriCares when shipments arrive. At times, international assistance work at AmeriCares can seem more like the operations of shipping company such as UPS, though with loftier goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to create added programming value for the medical donations that AmeriCares distributes by establishing standards of care for partner organizations and by helping them with training and financial support to achieve these standards.

Americares: Great people but needs better, more expert, leadership.

International Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriCares Foundation

ProsThe opportunity to be involved on both a domestic and international humanitarian agenda. The opportunity to feel that you are part of the solution and not part of the problem.

ConsSenior management is extremely disconnected from the reality of humanitarian aid efforts largely due to the fact that none have a relief background. Subsequently, not enough value is given to true experts in the field and the organization often makes decisions based on image rather than results. Most of the time, decisions are made not based on what is correct for a project and its beneficiaries but based on what is in the best interests of the donor and their corporate social responsibility communications goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some real experts, ask them questions, listen to them and act on their recommendations.

Worked for AmeriCares Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AmeriCares Foundation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AmeriCares Foundation CEO Curt Welling. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by AmeriCares Foundation employees.