AmeriChoice

No longer AmeriChoice

Manager (Current Employee)
Reston, VA

I have been working at AmeriChoice

ProsIt's a pay check--that's the best I can say.

ConsCompany is now called UnitedHealthcare Community & State, but it's a shell of its former self. Some of the other reviews nailed it: all decisions come from uninformed senior managers in Minnesota whose charter is to save money by denying claims. It's true: emphasis is on profits, at the expense of employee morale or customer care.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do their jobs and dispense with the micro-managing.

Morale is non-existent.

Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at AmeriChoice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking remotely so you are not part of the toxic environment.

ConsIf you offer to hep someone who is swamped, you are called out on it. If you are behind in your work, you are called out on it.

Negative, unhappy work environment.

Senior IT Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AmeriChoice as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThere was once a great supervisor who left the company for the same reasons.

ConsEntire dept. under constant duress and fear of losing job.. Mantra is "Work Harder" "The 40 work week is dead" All promotions are lateral never up. Progressively more work, hours challenge and struggle, but salary never changes which is a joke to begin with as you work 60-70 per week for $66k. They get angry if you use PTO so then you cant enjoy your vacations because you spend the entire previous week hearing them tell you what an inconvenience you're causing. You also need to take your laptop everywhere you go to try and squeeze in some work because if you don't you fall way behind. This includes trips, daily outings, weekends, etc. Upper management enjoys behaving in a sadistic manner. Not worth the expense of your good health and family's well being.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother, they'd never heed advice anyway.

AmeriChoice doing good work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at AmeriChoice

ProsCompany with good heart for making health care better for most disadvantaged, leading program development in new services to health disparity groups.

ConsType A personality organization, achievement and ROI orientation predominates. Must be able to work in an ambiguity filled, fast moving environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew Employee Orientation and mentoring programs need more development to engage new employees and provide support in assimilation to company culture and values.

Sounded A Lot Better Than It Was

Director (Former Employee)
Vienna, VA

I worked at AmeriChoice

ProsWill give you better pay than your last job.

ConsJob descriptions are meaningless -- you don't get to do what they say.
No organized reviews for work done -- everyone is too busy to take the time to do that.
FIckle - company decides to go one direction and hires people to do that, then it changes direction and those people are left hanging or laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalking "happy talk" while you lay people off is demoralizing. Get real. It makes the company look very out-of-touch with the workers when senior management is talking about how great everything is while everyone else in the company is wondering about who is going to get laid off next.

Horrible place to work !

I have been working at AmeriChoice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salary, but no raises or bonuses.

ConsIf you develop a handicap which requires a small accommodation, you are told you were NOT hired with a handicap !

Advice to Senior ManagementAct on the employee reviews, don't just collect them.

Stable place to work

Senior IT Business Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros* Stable place to work
* Flexible time and work from home options
* No much politics at a lower level

Cons* Most of the decisions now a days happens in Minneapolis (UHC)
* Pay packet and benefits are on an average scale

Advice to Senior Management* Do a llittle bit more to retain the talents at lower levels

The most dysfunctional company I've ever worked for.

Leader At AmeriChoice/UnitedHealthcare (Current Employee)

I have been working at AmeriChoice

Pros- Fair pay for some. Others are not compensated fairly.
- Good intranet.
- Human Resource intranet/system is better than I've seen in other companies.
- Other than MN executives, the organization is full of employees who take a personal interest in helping their membership populations.

Cons- Sr. Leadership in Minnesota is a mixture of Three Stooges mixed with the Keystone Cops.
- Decisions, even by Sr. Leaders, is based on politics and survival. Even Sr. Leaders won't push the CEO for progress, which makes these Sr. Leaders completely worthless.
- There is a strange arrogance in the MN office. Lots of Ivy League degrees but very little knowledge of the industry and what it takes to succeed. I agree with others' comments - they don't listen to the COUNTLESS experts in their markets - they make their own decisions and ignore expertise and leadership outside of Minnesota.
- I can't make one single decision on my own - except for when I use the restroom. If you knew my title, you'd be even more surprised by this.
- Contrary to propoganda, focus is on PROFIT, not people. Helping members is secondary at best.

Advice to Senior Management- 90% (not an exaggeration) of the people I talk to agree that they'd find another job at the competitor if the job market was stronger. Once the job market recovers, there's no chance that the expertise AmeriChoice has now will still be available.
- Immediate, and significant, changes need to be made with leadership in Minnesota (administration, marketing, finance) or AmeriChoice/UnitedHealthcare will not be a top player in public health administration by 2013. I'd bet my house on that prediction.

Don't Believe The Employee Satisfaction Surveys

I have been working at AmeriChoice

ProsDecent salary, although a good percentage of that salary will go to subpar health benefits.

Cons- Leadership is ruthless - say they care about employees but then cut even top performers loose.
- Unless you're based in Minnesota, you aren't taken seriously regardless of position.
- Senior leadership changes direction on a daily basis - impossible to get anything done.
- All decisions run through only a few people in MN, after going through countless committees.
- Very high degree of favoritism and "cronie-ism" by Senior Leadership.
- Internally focused - more worried about internal procedures than actual progress.
- All but 3-4 leaders in AmeriChoice are completely handcuffed and can't make decisions.

Advice to Senior Management- It's simple - let employees do their jobs.
- Remove the compensation implications from the employee survey - you're an encouraging a false perception and people are afraid to say how they really feel as rumor has it, survey results are attached to annual compensation reviews.
- Let leaders lead.
- Eliminate the focus on internal processes and focus on external successes.
- Stop blaming dysfunction on being a large company. Other large companies seem to manage without the dysfunction.

Worked for AmeriChoice? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AmeriChoice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AmeriChoice CEO Rick Jelinek. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by AmeriChoice employees.