AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk

Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job(in 22 reviews)

• Do not pay student loans while working(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself(in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit(in 10 reviews)

Amazing range of experiences!

AmeriCorps NCCC Member (Former Employee) Vinton, IA

ProsYou get a chance to work with so many different people in various settings that lend to a myriad of skills that you can take away with you!

ConsWith NCCC you have to be flexible since your next project is a mystery but this is also a pro because you get the travel to all these new places!

AmeriCorps allowed me to travel across the country for an assignment that enabled me to assist low income individuals.

AmeriCorps VISTA (Former Employee)

ProsThe experience was a true "eye opener". I witnessed a parallel economic universe in America. I grew up in the Boston area, so one of the most affluent regions not just in the USA, but the whole world. However, serving in rural America introduced me to debilitating poverty. It was frustrating to witness so many of my countrymen struggling. However, I was glad that I serve as an AmeriCorps for 2 years and work to alleviate poverty.

ConsAmeriCorps assignments are a mixed bag. My assignment involved running a tax site, so I had to recruit volunteer tax preparers and write grants. So, the position was challenging and provided me with financial and people skills. However, I had friends in assignments in small non-profits, so they only had menial administrative tasks. Also, one friend worked at a small non-profit that ran out of money, so she lost her position.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the tax on the education award. Also, please provide real health insurance and not the watered down plan that just covers ER visits.

Alright experience depending on your host site

AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsThere are some really great pros to this job; The Educational award matching up to the Pell grant (pro-rated for half-time members), the experience you gain, the training, the networking, the loan forbearance, the face that your interest is paid by the CNCS, friendships gained, food assistance, insurance (albeit crappy). I have served at my host site for two years and love this program, especially the ability to serve low-income individuals. i would recommend this to any individual trying to gain more experience.

ConsThe mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself. You sometimes get into more debt than when you leave, you have to consider that. I don't know how VISTA members do it. The insurance is pretty crappy, given the fact that it does not comply with the ACA standards. Good job government, at not letting your OWN service members be wavered, but Peace Corps people who serve OUTSIDE the country be waived. Depending on the host site, a lot of demands can be placed on the member and agencies do not know what a member's role is at that specific agency. And it is extremely crappy that the Segal Educational Award is taxed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the educational award un-taxed. Have better communication between the CNCS and other agencies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor experience.

ProsExperience teaching. Do not pay student loans while working.

ConsHorrible pay, must complete 1700 hours in a school year and can only gain hours within the school. Anything outside the school you do does not count towards your hours. A lot of work, and mandatory trainings for little reward. All of the mandatory orientations, meetings and trainings are all very, very unorganized. It takes forever to get any type of answers to questions you may have. And when you do get an answer they are often very vague and dont really answer your question.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining sessions do not need to be as long as they are, orientation needs to be more well thought out with less "get to know you" games. And now with limited ways to gain hours, the total number of hours either need reduced, or volunteer hours should be allowed to be included like they once were.

Making a difference

ProsDefinitely depends on the site and your fit with the site. If it's a good fit you will be making a meaningful difference in someone's life

ConsWorking with americorps state office is awful, very disconnected from your work at the site

Intern Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice working with kids, colleagues were awesome

ConsLimited professional development, limited time to complete assignments and check-ins

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more closely with the interns to see where the program can improve

It has been a humbling experience

AmeriCorps VISTA (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsTop access to experience in non profits

Consthe pay is very low and one is barely able to live

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your service workers more.

It is a great experience for future careers

Literacy Coach (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsWork with children
    School holidays
    Only work during school year
    Academic Award

ConsNot a lot of money due to being a stipend volunteer job

Once in a lifetime chance to change NCCC

AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) Perry Point, MD

ProsGained lots of experience and leadership skills, room for personal growth, unlimited opportunity, satisfying work

ConsNo personal space, hard to get any time off (only a ten month program so not a huge deal), training doesn't prepare you for the work you actually do, pay could be a little better

NJ

ProsGreat people great mission great environment

ConsCompensation is not enough to live on

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!