AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk

Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job(in 22 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself(in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit(in 10 reviews)

Give back with Americorps

ProsAmeriCorps gave me the opportunity to serve my local community and earn a little bit of money for college. It gave me job skills that I did not have when I applied, and introduced me to like minded people.

ConsSalary is terrible, and it takes over your life.

AmeriCorps NCCC FEMA Corps

AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDepending on where you are placed and what your position is, you have the opportunity to directly assist disaster survivors, which is an extremely challenging, but rewarding experience. Great for the resume, excellent networking opportunities, $5,500 education award

ConsThis is not an easy program. Be aware that you will be living below the poverty line, and with the same group of people for ten months. There is no such thing as personal space. FEMA Corps is also a new program, so there are still a number of kinks that staff and FEMA are working out. However, it's getting there, and I think has a lot of potential in the future.

It is what you make of it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Helena, MT

ProsTook a year after college as a VISTA to figure out where I wanted to go and what I needed to get there. AmeriCorps provided the responsibility, exposure, and time needed to direct my next steps toward a career. Some graduate schools also provide generous scholarships for volunteers.

ConsOrientation feels misdirected at times, as if they are really trying to get you to drink the kool-aid.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience

AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsAmericorps was a great experience out of college - I was in the AIDS United program which I really enjoyed and it helped me figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my career

ConsLittle support from Americorps, my program (AIDS United) ended up being defunded, pay is not very good

Advice to Senior Managementraise the pay

I was placed at the police department and served as a victim advocate.

Victim Assistance Counselor (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsIt was really good work experience the first year out of college.

ConsYou only get a stipend to live off of. It was really difficult to make it work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy site supervisor worked for the police department and was awesome. My AmeriCorps supervisors were good too.

Good job, good pay, great benefits!

ProsThe benefits are amazing, and the work environment is very professional.

ConsThe politics are hard to get used to, and its hard to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with the the lower level employees. We are on the bottom of the totem pole, and we feel it.

Served as a VISTA for a year.

Vista (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsService with a stipend, education stipend at the end of the year of service.

ConsNot much direction from superiors (must be very self-directed), very small stipend without the opportunity to work other jobs makes it difficult to pay the bills.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose mentors / bosses that have more direction.

Community Service and Education Benefits

AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) Valdosta, GA

ProsWhat I liked most about working in two different AmeriCorps positions for two years was knowing that I was contributing to non-profit organizations whose goals were to better the community in which I lived. I also received two Segal Education Awards for my two years of service, which amounted to 11,000 dollars; I am now using these education awards to go back to school and help pay off previous student loans. I gained some valuable professional skills during both of my terms of service that I can now apply to my current and future career endeavors.

ConsBecause AmeriCorps operates as a grant to the non-profits its employees are placed with, the pay is fixed and is pretty low salary. Depending on the AmeriCorps program you work under, there are various requirements that must be met for your year(s) of service to be considered "successful." This can include hourly requirements, additional assignments while "off the clock," and/or committing to living at the poverty line (for AmeriCorps VISTA members). All in all, I genuinely enjoyed my time as both a State AmeriCorps Member and as an AmeriCorps VISTA Member.

Leave your mark

AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat way to travel the country, learn some skills, and earn some money for college. Also get paid a modest living allowance

ConsCrammed quarters with 7-11 other young adults.

VISTA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGain experience in a field of interest, student loan forbearance, meet people from all over the US, help those in need.

Conshuge financial sacrifice, quality of programs varies greatly

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!