AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk

Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job(in 22 reviews)

• Do not pay student loans while working(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself(in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit(in 10 reviews)

AmeriCorps

ProsThis was my first job out of college, so there is not much to compare it with, but this has been a fantastic experience. I had an epiphany about five months into my term, when the project I was in charge of almost collapsed. I realized there was nothing, literally nothing I could do that could get me fired! Basically as an AmeriCorps VISTA, your supervisors will give you tasks they hope are accomplished, but these projects will never be mission critical. For example, they might want to develop partnerships with like-minded organizations so everyone can achieve more together. :) It's a lovely thought, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is social impact, efficiency, and sales--even in a nonprofit, sales (program participants, volunteers, products delivered) are the defining all important goal. Sales are how we achieve funding. Funding keeps the lights on.

The realization that I was basically could not be fired by anyone in my organization gave me a lot of freedom to pursue the projects that added the most value to myself. At the end of the day, this is why I signed up.

ConsIt depends on the non-profit that hires you. I am an advocate of looking on the bright side. So while the company was being mis-managed, and the employees felt the same way, I saw everything as a learning experience.

Not Bad

Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsIt compensates pretty well, and the benefits are nice.

ConsVery stressful, fast-paced and high energy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentives to alleviate stress.

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslearning experience, networking opportunities, education award, free health care

Conslow pay, little to no support,

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvocate for more in service benefits(housing assistance, transition benefits)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing experience

Corps Member (Former Employee) Vinton, IA

ProsUnique travel opportunities, constantly meeting new people, doing meaningful work, personal and professional development, new and valuable skills

ConsCan be stressful at times, as would be expected; very limited personal time

Rewarding was Disorganized

Amiercorps VISTA Summer Associate (Former Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsThe experience was very rewarding. I loved coming to work every day to see the young students.

ConsThe program I was in was new so it was somewhat disorganized. Also, some of the older AmeriCorps members I worked with were very unprofessional.

State Service Corps

AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsExperience, Education Award, Loan Deferment

ConsPitiful salary, not enough career development, housing is incredibly difficult to find

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do more for members after our terms of service, such as paying off a part of student loans, holding career fairs for alumni, career development workshops, etc.

Life changing

Child Mentor (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsVolunteering your time occasionally will make you feel good - immersing yourself as an Americorps volunteer will change your life. If you would like to challenge yourself to see the world from a new perspective and develop strengths you didn't know you had, then Americorps is for you.

ConsI would like to say none because the cons are obvious: little financial gain and short term of service. You must derive satisfaction from the intrinsic value of service rather than financial motivation. Also, your term of service is just that - a term. Service may not lead to a professional position, and again you must be strictly motivated by the intrinsic value of the experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for your work. Keep it up! Get things done!

Stepping stone and and an opportunity to give back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmeriCorps offers a fantastic way to connect with local communities, help worthy nonprofits and promote education. Volunteers get as much benefit as they are willing to put in themselves.

ConsThere's not much support from the Corps. For me, the moment I finished my term I heard practically nothing from the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more of a personal outreach to alumni volunteers - they're a fantastic asset and many would likely be interested in further opportunities and even careers in Corps.

An eye-opening introduction to government and non-profit worlds.

AmeriCorps* Vista (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPersonal fulfillment, community impact, ownership of work, independence

ConsPay/stipend, no health insurance, bureaucracy, decentralized organization, ambiguity with guidelines, restrictions and requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline and centralize

Amazing experience if you can afford to live on a meager wage

AmeriCorps VISTA (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsAmazing experience! I met so many great people and learned a lot of valuable skills that can be used in any position.

ConsLiving stipend is very meager so you will need to apply for food stamps and possibly have financial support from family (unless your living arrangements are provided).

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!