AmeriCorps Reviews

Reset
3.6
AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• You get money towards student loans/school (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• It depends on the non-profit that hires you (in 12 reviews)

1. Loved AmeriCorps!

Pros

Loved working with AmeriCorps! It allowed me to have a lot of fun while also getting experience with a variety of nonprofit organizations and government agencies.

Cons

Low pay, not very much time off.

2. The American Way!!! :)

Former Employee - Receptionist in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Mobile, AL

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to help any community !! kids seniors .. the benefits were wonderful and you git a stipend.

Cons

I hated that you could not finish you fight. I know that there are people still needing the help!!

Advice to Management

Keep the Vision!!!!! A Live it works. Strive for new and innovative way to work this man made machine!!

3. BHC - Mentor

Former Employee - Mentor in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Mentor in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You may have a lot of autonomy depending on placement of school site. I worked at a really great school with a lot of support from the staff, was welcomed with open arms and was able to form many great relationships with the students and teachers where I felt as if I was able to be involved with the school and making an impact. There was a lot of professional development and training and also an education grant after you complete the required number of hours.

Cons

Since it is a service, you will get paid in stipends is not enough to make a living off of. You may be hassled about meeting your hours on time and not be able to take time off unless you are keeping up. There can be a lot of need to meet program expectations. Local facilitators and program coordinators will be on you about very specific things and it may seem more political than for the actual cause of why you are there.

Advice to Management

If possible, be at the sites more, be more involved and try to have a better/more humble understanding of the reality of the situations regarding each individual student. Don't just make it always about the numbers!

5. Amazing Experience with Lots of Opportunity for Growth

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Great networking opportunities, wonderful way to explore potential career goals and settings, offers good support, education award, excellent community, lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Very challenging at times (but in a good way, as well), stipend makes it tricky to find ways to live minimally, healthcare (if offered) was very minimal, program quality varies from location to location, tax on education award is frustrating.

6. community Outreach

Pros

I have enjoyed giving back to the community one household at at time. Helping the people of the county in which I reside is a great feeling to me.

Cons

The pay is not that great so all work is because I care. I would pass this opportunity on to someone whom I think would be a good fit

7. Good for recent Grads

Pros

Loan Forbearance Meaningful work Educational Opportunities Easy to apply to many positions Networking opportunities

Cons

Bureaucracy In-flexible end date Scholarship and interest payments are back loaded Low pay

Advice to Management

Have more forgiving timelines for ending your service. It's a hard decision stay on a poverty wadge when given a job offer (especially since job offers are hard to come by)

8. Tutor

Pros

Work with great and cool kids

Cons

Supervisors were unorganized and allowed too many people to handle timesheets

Advice to Management

Always strive to do better

9. I learned a lot in the AmeriCorps VISTA program.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Marlinton, WV
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Marlinton, WV

Pros

- Gained professional work experience - Gained professional post-college work experience - Helped a community that really needed it - Learned soft skills like diplomacy, tact, and good communication

Cons

- None. I loved it!

Advice to Management

- None. They do an excellent job!

10. Great company if you want to get stuff done for the community

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sense of fulfillment, a way to give back or pay it forward, basic benefits up to comprehensive benefits plans depending on position

Cons

Often the things you see or hear may weigh heavy on your heart. You will be working most often with disenfranchised populations. You have to learn to care for yourself while caring for others.

Advice to Management

More training on self help.

11. Team leader

Former Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing support system, it really is an amazing program to help children succedd!

Cons

It is volunteer based.. So you don't make a lot of money

RSS Feed </> Embed