AmeriCorps Reviews

Reset
5.0
AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• You get money towards student loans/school (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• It depends on the non-profit that hires you (in 12 reviews)

1. Great Program for Getting foot in the door

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AmeriCorps is a great program to accrue many job skills necessary to obtain a permanent job. It looks great on a resume because those hiring know it means you worked hard for little financial compensation and were willing to sacrifice. You will meet many people in the field you work, its all in who you know. I personally have already met everyone who would be on an interview board if I were to apply for a permanent position. This is a good way to prove yourself before you even apply for a permanent job.

Cons

The only downside I can think of that would be common for all facets of AmeriCorps is the low "living stipend." It really isn't enough to live on; I can't imagine how individuals who aren't married to a working spouse or living with parents can make do. But money isn't the reason you work for AmeriCorps, its making a difference in your community and getting valuable experience you won't get with any other job. This is by no means a permanent job.

Advice to Management

I can't really give any advice on this since the only con I present is really out of management's hands. This is a grant program and therefore there are many loopholes and federal requirements that must be met.

2. AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

It is really dependent on the site. It is definitely a lot of work but it is very rewarding and you meet amazing people. I was hesitant to join at first because of all the negative reviews but I ended up getting one of the best sites in the Midwest, and potentially in the entire program. Also, if you're doing this, then its probably not for the money so don't let people talk you out of potentially doing something that you love because they don't understand the idea of giving to something greater than themselves. Also, the PSO is a blast and you'll meet some amazing people that you'll stay in contact with. Also, they let you work a second job now if it doesn't interfere with your service. I applied to City Year and got in, but didn't want to wear a uniform. VISTA turned out to be a way better fit for me and I still don't have to wear a uniform. So there is also that.

Cons

Low pay while paying rent and buying expenses if not living at home

3. Service Member

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time

Pros

To help children get ready for kindergarten and to help my community

Cons

The only con is that they do not pay that much which makes it hard for me to provide for my family.

5. Tutor

Current Employee - Tutor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Riverside, CA

Pros

Everyone enjoys doing their job. It is a very rewarding experience to work here. You get to help a community and see a positive difference.

Cons

There are no cons working here. Some may say low compensation but it heavily relies on funding. Besides we work here because we love making a positive difference in people's lives not for the money

Advice to Management

None

6. Vista Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

You feel as if you're doing something for your community and you're truly making a difference

Cons

The pay is not much, but eventually you'd have to learn to manage or get a part time position on the side

Advice to Management

None

7. Loved AmeriCorps!

Pros

Loved working with AmeriCorps! It allowed me to have a lot of fun while also getting experience with a variety of nonprofit organizations and government agencies.

Cons

Low pay, not very much time off.

8. The American Way!!! :)

Former Employee - Receptionist in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Mobile, AL

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to help any community !! kids seniors .. the benefits were wonderful and you git a stipend.

Cons

I hated that you could not finish you fight. I know that there are people still needing the help!!

Advice to Management

Keep the Vision!!!!! A Live it works. Strive for new and innovative way to work this man made machine!!

9. Amazing Experience with Lots of Opportunity for Growth

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Great networking opportunities, wonderful way to explore potential career goals and settings, offers good support, education award, excellent community, lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Very challenging at times (but in a good way, as well), stipend makes it tricky to find ways to live minimally, healthcare (if offered) was very minimal, program quality varies from location to location, tax on education award is frustrating.

10. community Outreach

Pros

I have enjoyed giving back to the community one household at at time. Helping the people of the county in which I reside is a great feeling to me.

Cons

The pay is not that great so all work is because I care. I would pass this opportunity on to someone whom I think would be a good fit

11. I learned a lot in the AmeriCorps VISTA program.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Marlinton, WV
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Marlinton, WV

Pros

- Gained professional work experience - Gained professional post-college work experience - Helped a community that really needed it - Learned soft skills like diplomacy, tact, and good communication

Cons

- None. I loved it!

Advice to Management

- None. They do an excellent job!

RSS Feed </> Embed