AmeriCorps

Updated November 18, 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Non-profit based projects in numerous different states (in 23 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 17 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing experience

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

I learned so much during my year, I don't even know what to say. My horizons here broadened considerably, I made really good friends, and it looks so so good on a resume. You learn a lot about non-profits and NGOs, and a lot of really useful skills like gardening, construction, carpentry, first aid, etc.

Cons

Don't join expecting it to be easy, and don't think you're going to change the world either. The work can be physically demanding and monotonous, but you really are making a difference.

A place for personal growth

Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Constant training programs, scholarship benefits for students, great alumni network, great opportunities around the nation. Great experience working with teams and community building

Cons

Meeting the hours requirement for some institutions may be difficult when balancing school and work. Definitely do the full year program and avoid doing it within a shorter time frame if possible, i.e one semester

I am currently serving- one year total.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone will have a different experience, but mine has been amazing. My supervisor is fantastic and flexible with my schedule. I love serving my community. It's great for your resume and the education award is nice if you plan on continuing your education (or pay some existing loans).

Cons

The only downfall I have experienced is the living allowance. My loan company isn't helping in any way so that's been difficult.

The most stressful yet rewarding experience of my life. It was my privilege to serve with excellent and admirable people

Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent training and compensation. Provides so many opportunities to experience America in such a unique way.

Cons

Challenging to lead, live, and work with the same team of people for 10 months.

A fantastic opportunity for young, service-oriented leaders

Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA
    Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a team leader I had the opportunity to lead a group of young people in disaster response operations. We were literally one of the first teams on the ground for the response to Hurricane Sandy. We collaborated with many state and federal agencies and I can honestly say that while many while have different experiences, no other year of my life has yielded such tremendous growth.

Cons

You will be living on a minuscule budget, making a small living stipend, gain access to an unremarkable scholarship, live life cramped with the same team of people nearly 24/7 if you choose to join the NCCC program. I miss it regularly.

Allow room for your team leaders to resolve problems outside of the tried approaches. While a relationship with the unit leader is important, it is the relationship with the team of corps members that says the most.

AmeriCorps: Target Tigua

Former Employee - CERT Outreach & Training Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - CERT Outreach & Training Specialist in El Paso, TX

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great training opportunities, excellent work environment.

Cons

I don't have any Cons regarding this experience.

Perfect Resume Builder

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

I had an awesome experience and gained some great contacts working with Americorps in Los Angeles. You truly feel like you're making an impact in the community.

Cons

The stipend is absolutely horrible so if you need help paying the bills this is not a good option. Additionally, the hour expectations balanced with a school schedule make it difficult to maintain another job.

I realize this is a government entity so it is impossible to gain too much more money, but if possible a stipend increase or additional benefits is needed to allow the students to survive.

Great opportunity for college students

Former Employee - Intern in Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work hours will not conflict with school hours. Americorps provides excellent opportunities to learn how to lead individually and how to cooperate with large groups of people. Students will learn valuable skills such as grant writing, how to work with various groups of people, multi-tasking skills, and will have hundreds of hours to devote to community service and non-for-profit projects within their community.

Cons

Outside requirements may be time consuming. The application process is about 40 pages long and requires 3 references to write and send in to the student's application office for Americorps. Not all schools participate in Americorps. The program I selected provided me with a monthly allowance and by the end of my service term, I received a $2000 grant which helped greatly with school housing fees.

Generally the program is overlooked by a superior and actually run by grad students. It is easy for your supervisor to get caught up in other projects, so, the student must be very organized and time-conscious.

Would do it again.

Current Employee - Literacy Tutor in Mount Vernon, WA
    Current Employee - Literacy Tutor in Mount Vernon, WA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Saw the impact I made, loved the students I worked with.

Cons

Stipend pay is not enough to live on.

Great program

Americorps VISTA

Current Employee - Youth Outreach Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Youth Outreach Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great mission! Would love to work there again!

Cons

There truly are none! It was a blast!

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo