AmeriCorps

Updated January 30, 2015
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Homeless Housing Specialist

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

You will LOVE what you. You will see service and those you help in a wholly different light. You will see people at their worst and you will help people who just can't help themselves. You will Cry, you will get Mad, you will get Frustrated, bit you will love it.

Cons

Be ready to put your foot in it. You can't save the world, but you can help one person at a time/

Had to adapt to new environments and working conditions.

Former Employee - Corps Member in McClellan, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in McClellan, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting to see different places in the U.S and work with some amazing people and constantly doing something work related.

Cons

Not being able to go home for ten months straight.

You gain a tremendous amount of experience and your accomplishments look very nice on a resume.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Charleston, SC

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

AmeriCorps was a life changing event! I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to make a difference in the world.

Cons

Your experiences gained in the program are like none other. However the compensation can be a bit challenging for many, you have to learn to live with less.

Great overall experience and challenging in all the right ways!

Happy with the experience!

Current Employee - Health Navigator in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Health Navigator in Lansing, MI

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

I was able to really add value to the community and work with other Americorps members who shared the same passion.

Cons

Some host site employees make it seem like your contribution is less valuable because you are not an employee. It depends on your host site. I was lucky with a great one for my first term and second one but some employees in the later term didn't treat us like assets or teammates more like competition.

Keep the program around. It really fosters community engagement and grass-root efforts.

Amazing experience got to work with underprivileged children

Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Very rewarding experience plus you get an award at the end

Cons

Not a lot of help from teachers in classroom

LOVED IT!!

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to gain experience in a field of your choosing. Between hands on experience working in a non-profit (or doing direct service) and the professional development opportunities, its worth it for someone directly out of college... or even high school and transitional periods as an adult.

Cons

the pay.... you are given a living stipend that it at the poverty level. You learn the challenges many non-profits face.

Amazing experience

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

I learned so much during my year, I don't even know what to say. My horizons here broadened considerably, I made really good friends, and it looks so so good on a resume. You learn a lot about non-profits and NGOs, and a lot of really useful skills like gardening, construction, carpentry, first aid, etc.

Cons

Don't join expecting it to be easy, and don't think you're going to change the world either. The work can be physically demanding and monotonous, but you really are making a difference.

A place for personal growth

Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Constant training programs, scholarship benefits for students, great alumni network, great opportunities around the nation. Great experience working with teams and community building

Cons

Meeting the hours requirement for some institutions may be difficult when balancing school and work. Definitely do the full year program and avoid doing it within a shorter time frame if possible, i.e one semester

I am currently serving- one year total.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone will have a different experience, but mine has been amazing. My supervisor is fantastic and flexible with my schedule. I love serving my community. It's great for your resume and the education award is nice if you plan on continuing your education (or pay some existing loans).

Cons

The only downfall I have experienced is the living allowance. My loan company isn't helping in any way so that's been difficult.

The most stressful yet rewarding experience of my life. It was my privilege to serve with excellent and admirable people

Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and compensation. Provides so many opportunities to experience America in such a unique way.

Cons

Challenging to lead, live, and work with the same team of people for 10 months.

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo