AmeriCorps Reviews

Reset
3.5
AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• You get money towards student loans/school (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• It depends on the non-profit that hires you (in 12 reviews)

1. Project More

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps (Less than a year)

Pros

-Gaining transferrable skills
    -networking
    -meeting new people
    -various volunteer opportunities
    -learning to adjust to terrible attitudes and terrible supervision

Cons

-terrible supervision
    -no personal days or sick days
    -easy to fall behind in hours, hard to catch up
    -too much clerical work and not enough getting things done

Advice to Management

be careful who you hire to supervise your AC members. some supervisors make member feel unappreciated, which later leads to them not enjoying nor recommend

others to serve.

2. Support from National Organization awful

Current Employee - Neighborhood and Youth Enrichment Leader in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Neighborhood and Youth Enrichment Leader in Springfield, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The sites are generally in charge of your day to day tasks and responsibilities. I was fortunate to get a supervisor that was passionate and helpful in allowing me to do my best work. It's all about the supervisor you get, because the support from AmeriCorps directly is limited after they "train" you for a 3-day stint before you start service.

Cons

AmeriCorps support, especially through the so-called "VISTA Member Support Unit" was terrible. These folks get paid actual salaries to assist VISTAs but rarely take their jobs seriously. It took me 4 phone calls and a host of emails to get an issue solved that they identified as "not an issue." At first they were unwilling to pay a travel stipend for me to return home, since I relocated to serve with AmeriCorps. They finally saw the light after 3 phone calls, but then chose to give me the absolute lowest mileage possible from zip code to zip code. It was literally a measly 15 dollars that they weaseled their way out of. Sad that an organization that pays it's employees less than 3 dollars an hour (legally somehow) is able to act like a corporate entity in doing the absolute minimum to support it's members. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone as a result of this experience.

Advice to Management

Take some time to reevaluate the purpose of the program - they recently changed a regulation that allows VISTAs to seek outside employment, making their philosophy that VISTAs should be at the level of income their populations receive void. This means that a pay increase should happen ASAP. It's unethical for the government to allow organizations like this one to place people, often recent college graduates, into indentured servitude in order to pay off federal student loans. That truly is the only benefit to my two years of service, sadly.

Look deeply before you choose to be exploited by AmeriCorps.

3. Job company that preys on human slavery and vulnerable new recent grads

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

AmeriCorps has now changed their policy due to more people whining about not being able to work a second job. So, now, in actuality, there are "zero excuses for not making enough money," which is what No One will say.
    I'm grateful that I worked at a non-profit that has a great staff, great perks, and cares about the VISTAs they employed.

Cons

You can now work two jobs, even though you're expected to be full-time as an AmeriCorps VISTA associate! Now, you can do twice the work for still half the pay that you should be getting. The only reasonable times you would be able to work a send job are on nights and weekends when you're not working a VISTA job full-time during business hours.

Advice to Management

I think that in order to create more funding and revenue for all these non-profits, you might as well just grant them government funding rather than making a person go on a stipend for a less-than-living-wage. Most positions that are being recruited for through the VISTA program are those that can get over minimum wage, and earn 2-3 times more than you should.

Worst 10 months of my life in FEMA Corps

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

The work is easy and you get drinking money every two weeks. If you actually want to work for FEMA, it's a good foot in the door. If you actaull

Cons

No work/life balance. Crazy team mates. My team leader was crazy, and she had another girl on her team who was her enforcer. We would try to approach her about issues going on in the team, and she would just burst into tears and nothing would change. As far as FEMA, work, it was really hit-or-miss. My team never went to a disaster site. And the FEMA employees mostly hated us because they thought we were gunning for their jobs (though there were a few exceptions). FEMA didn't know what to do with us--our training did not match our work at all.

Advice to Management

End the program.

6. Absolutely horrid

Current Employee - Volunteer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are really very few pros. This company provides a resume builder and an opportunity to do valuable work. That's it.

Cons

wages are below the poverty level, high expectations, strict management, ridiculous hour expectations, too many hours, too much work for the pay

one of the biggest mistakes of my life

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member With Tutoring Program in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member With Tutoring Program in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doing work that helps others, but at the expense of your own security.

Cons

Felt completely misled by my supervisors regarding the job, the benefits, insurance and most of all the education award.

It has been a year and a half since I completed my service with Americorps, after applying my entire education award (which is taxed), I still owe $3500 more than I ever took out to go to school. The interest I accrued in the year I served was not fully reimbursed and the money I used to pay my loans for the next year didn't make up for how much interest I continued to accrue.

I would have been much better off doing any other kind of job that would have allowed me to make enough money to continue making loan payments and gradually lowering my capitalized interest. Additionally, the organization I worked with, Reading Parnters, completely abused the Americorps program. We were extremely overworked and not paid enough for any of us to survive in the city we lived in. Everyone on my team was dissatisfied with our experience and felt completely used.

Advice to Management

If you want to pay people such a low salary, improve their benefits at the very least. Allow them sick days and maybe even the occasional vacation day. This job is extremely stressful, but with no payoff other than knowing you are helping others. That is great, but not when it makes you miserable each day you are doing it because you are so stressed out about how you are going to survive.

Work out the education award so that it is not just a line you give to people to convince them to do Americorps. Make it actually as beneficial as you promise and find a way not to tax people for student loan money when they will have no realistic chance of having set money aside to pay this during their period of service.

8. Literacy Tutor

Former Employee - Literacy Tutor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Literacy Tutor in Denver, CO

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with children.

Cons

Over worked, abused, forced to work through lunch without regard to hours. Dishonest misrepresentation on the part of management without consequence.

Advice to Management

Being a non profit is no excuse.

If you're thinking about AmeriCorps VISTA- DONT DO IT!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My host site was absolutely amazing! They made my year from hell totally worth it. They were the only ray of light in my whole crappy AmeriCorps VISTA year. I gained great experience and the connections and growth i made there definitely helped me get my job once my year of service was over.

I will say the team VISTA leader I had was GREAT!! She seemed to actually care, but the people above her who actually handle my files and info were not as wonderful as her.

Also they were very understanding when i had a death in the family and gave me a full week of bereavement time, which i great appreciated.

BUT.....

Cons

Even thought my host site was the BEST working with AmeriCorps and Points of Light was TERRIBLE!! They are SO disorganized. There are so many rules and regulations they dont tell you about the educational award until you're already committed and months into your year of service. They never respond to emails in a timely manner. They have horrible retention and always have new employees who dont know what they are doing. In short they are jerks who honestly do not care about you or how youre living.

Even worse I was a VISTA during the government shutdown for two weeks of work i got paid like 160. They tell you its a fixed stipend but its not, and i got ripped off like 30 bucks on my last living allowance because it ended a day early. I know 30 dollars doesnt sound like a lot, but when you're living in poverty and only get paid 400 bucks for 80 hours of work thats a lot of hard earned money. Also take into perspective that i only made 30 dollars a day to work my butt off.

They are just using you to get research and work for (almost) free. I had to work on christmas eve and new years eve but everyone at americorps/points of light was on vacation for those whole two weeks and i need assistance with one of my projects.

In short, they are unprofessional, unsympathetic, sloppy, disorganized, and the people higher up dont even really care about you.

DONT DO IT IF YOU HAVE OTHER OPTIONS!!!!!!!!! NOT WORTH IT.

Advice to Management

Respond to your emails and get your stuff together.

10. Poor experience.

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Experience teaching. Do not pay student loans while working.

Cons

Horrible pay, must complete 1700 hours in a school year and can only gain hours within the school. Anything outside the school you do does not count towards your hours. A lot of work, and mandatory trainings for little reward. All of the mandatory orientations, meetings and trainings are all very, very unorganized. It takes forever to get any type of answers to questions you may have. And when you do get an answer they are often very vague and dont really answer your question.

Advice to Management

Training sessions do not need to be as long as they are, orientation needs to be more well thought out with less "get to know you" games. And now with limited ways to gain hours, the total number of hours either need reduced, or volunteer hours should be allowed to be included like they once were.

One of the worst experiences ever! Do not do it!

Current Employee - Tutor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tutor in Denver, CO

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with kids and help them to learn how to read.

Cons

You are over worked, under paid, not insured (they lie about the nature of the insurance), want you to work non stop without breaks, no sick time, no benefits of any real kind, poor training, poor management, poor support, toxic environments for staff, promises of work turning into networking opportunities are false, actual skills do not translate into real job opportunities, but advertising for how great Americorps is; bad end of employment grant translates to fewer opportunities than described, a pittance of salary: $1100 per month, a subsidiary insurance plan, negative software program that has you repeating your labor 10 or more times while they blame the staff for poor data input; gossiping, telling tales out of school the 3 stooges for management, dishonesty, blatant lying, disrespect and more - it is not worth it!

Advice to Management

Please stop misleading these good hearted people who are looking for a way to translate volunteering into a future of paid employment; that their (new) skills will translate to viable employment. Instead of giving an 8 hour professional development session on how to create a resume, or write an email -- try getting employers to come in and tell them what their chances are of a job - along with recruiters for employment? Please stop misrepresenting the grants - 5500 - if they get to the end and earn them - they can be applied with a great deal of effort and barriers - to fewer resources than described; the training? Fire your trainer and get a real trainer in there who can teach the program properly; stop kissing the butts of school staff and networking for jobs for your friends - and not insisting that the school staff - do their part - that would be read the materials - and do what they claim they are doing - this is unethical and abusive of the grantors intentions -- stop sending out accidental messages of your 401k's to the over worked under paid field staff; while the grunts in the trenches are encouraged to collect welfare, and food stamps; even Walmarts pays better than this so called job where you tell one lie after the other - we expect that from corporate America - we do not expect that from a grass roots group pretending to care about people - when in reality - you are getting paid more, and off the backs of these financial slaves all the while objecting to capitalism and encouraging people not to seek viable income paying jobs so that they remain at your disposal. And stop lying; it's unbecoming and just makes the whole idea of volunteering a real turn off.

RSS Feed </> Embed