AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job (in 22 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself (in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of work not a lot of pay

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Help people--lots of opportunities to work in different capacities.

Cons

Lots of work, not a lot of pay, not organized.

More organization!

Mixed bag.

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

This was a job that I never felt morally conflicted about at least in regards to the overall goal of the organization. That's the primary perk of working under a nonprofit. At the end of the day, you can -independent of most other factors- be confident that you set out trying to make a difference. And for an entry level position, you are allowed a surprisingly large degree of latitude if you take initiative and play your cards right.

Cons

As an AmeriCorps volunteer, your pay ends up a little below minimum wage (not taking into account the Education Award you get at the end of your service) for the time you put in. It's not a salary but a living stipend.
    Seemingly arbitrary grant requirements, operating outside of the bounds of logic and reality, will often cause you frustration no matter your position. You work by the hour, trying to build up to a total of 1700 hours over the course of your term (10 months to a year typically) which can be daunting and a source of stress if you don't pace yourself.

Get Ready for life to Change

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Excellent experience in Non profit, if you are someone that wants to see change in it the community I would recommend these jobs for you. Its indirect service so you are not as hands on as some non profit jobs.

Cons

Benefits are not the greatest. You are paid almost nothing and expected to have this amazing impact on people but often times you are too stressed about bills and how to pay for things instead of the work that you are doing.

Living stipends should be raised. Especially for those who move out of state to do their americorps service. Or workers should be allowed to have a second job because while we are supposed to "live in poverty" many people in poverty have to balance 2 jobs. Also the fact that a government agency does not have actual insurance does not make sense. Especially for those who live in states that did not extended medicaid.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your experience is what you make of it

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Making a difference in the Community you serve

Cons

Dealing with poor site supervisors

Great people, good intentions, mixed results.

Former Employee - Program Coordinator, Non-Profit  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator, Non-Profit in Seattle, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I have met some amazing people through Americorps: career mentors, lifelong friends, drinking buddies, etc. Most people affiliated with Americorps have high ideals and a passion to do good in the world. Many Americorps positions allow you to make what you want out of your role. You can have the freedom to try new things and fail without getting fired. It is a learning opportunity for people right out of school or for workers looking at a career change.

Cons

Though intentions are good, there is often disorganization in Americorps programs and sponsoring agencies. There is bureaucracy and red tape galore and it is hard to get things from CNCS without an advocate. I also question the efficacy of having one year terms of service. Often times the programs Americorps members are supporting require more of a commitment and already have issues with high turnover with staff. There can be questions of how Americorps members differ from paid staff at non-profits and I have witnessed some partnering organizations use Americorps members as cheap staff.

If you're thinking about AmeriCorps VISTA- DONT DO IT!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

My host site was absolutely amazing! They made my year from hell totally worth it. They were the only ray of light in my whole crappy AmeriCorps VISTA year. I gained great experience and the connections and growth i made there definitely helped me get my job once my year of service was over.

I will say the team VISTA leader I had was GREAT!! She seemed to actually care, but the people above her who actually handle my files and info were not as wonderful as her.

Also they were very understanding when i had a death in the family and gave me a full week of bereavement time, which i great appreciated.

BUT.....

Cons

Even thought my host site was the BEST working with AmeriCorps and Points of Light was TERRIBLE!! They are SO disorganized. There are so many rules and regulations they dont tell you about the educational award until you're already committed and months into your year of service. They never respond to emails in a timely manner. They have horrible retention and always have new employees who dont know what they are doing. In short they are jerks who honestly do not care about you or how youre living.

Even worse I was a VISTA during the government shutdown for two weeks of work i got paid like 160. They tell you its a fixed stipend but its not, and i got ripped off like 30 bucks on my last living allowance because it ended a day early. I know 30 dollars doesnt sound like a lot, but when you're living in poverty and only get paid 400 bucks for 80 hours of work thats a lot of hard earned money. Also take into perspective that i only made 30 dollars a day to work my butt off.

They are just using you to get research and work for (almost) free. I had to work on christmas eve and new years eve but everyone at americorps/points of light was on vacation for those whole two weeks and i need assistance with one of my projects.

In short, they are unprofessional, unsympathetic, sloppy, disorganized, and the people higher up dont even really care about you.

DONT DO IT IF YOU HAVE OTHER OPTIONS!!!!!!!!! NOT WORTH IT.

Respond to your emails and get your stuff together.

An amazing experience

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Vicksburg, MS
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

You get to see areas you normally would not get to go too. You get to see different landmarks and get to know local people. I had never been in the south before Americorps and now I want to move down there, everyone was so hospitable.

Cons

While most members of Americorps are outstanding, there are those select few who you would not expect to see in an organization meant to help others. In my year there were individuals who would steal anything they could get too, they would also take the TV cards out of any public TV so they would have free rain to watch what they wanted when they wanted. Stole food out of every teams fridge, and just left trash and debree wherever they went. Just vile people who cared only about themselves, and I have no idea why they joined Americorps with attitudes like that. Also when caught with stolen items the individuals were given 3 warning before termination. Americorps was way too lenient on them. Keep in mind though these were only 10 or 12 out of 200+ so did not ruin the amazing experience.

AmeriCorps, and experience of a lifetime.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to do so many different things, from tutoring to building houses with Habitat for Humanity; the opportunities are endless in this position. Traveling with your team is also a major plus.

Cons

You a paid with a small living stipend, and receive a scholarship upon completion of your 900 hours

Good learning experience but lacks practical training.

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good volunteer/ job experience.

Cons

Isolated at point of service.

Better initial training.

not willing to be flexiable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great organization that did great work for the community that the organiztion was in.
    Like being able to volunteer.

Cons

Americorp management was not willing to really listen to concerns and would not be flexiable just kept shoving policy in my face. Would not take into account my life situation when considering education award. Did not feel like my true talents were ever utilized or even really discovered. I was unable to even begin to reach my full potential.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!