AmeriCorps

Updated December 21, 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great professional development, very challenging at times

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great professional development in the VISTA program. Good experience if you are passionate about the non profit world, want to move to a different part of the country, or just gain some experience after college.

Cons

The individual sites can be very disorganized. There were problems with my SNAP benefits and nobody helped me out. Very low salary.

More benefits.

Great Experience yet Incredibly Challenging!

Current Employee - Community Development Corodinator
    Current Employee - Community Development Corodinator

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Truly learn a lot about yourself and gain a lifelong appreciation for helping those less fortunate. I really feel some sort of community service should be a requirement of new grads.

Cons

Hard work unless you are a self-started. Not a lot of direction at times, which can be frustrating.

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in East Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in East Orange, NJ

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

It's a great chance to get your feet wet, so to speak, in the world of employment. Great for recent grads. Opportunity to gain professional skills. Hands on community work.

Cons

Disorganized, Terrible Communication. Stipend. Treated like children. Often unprofessional.

Work on professionalism, attitude management, proper training, planning ahead of schedule, etc.

LOVED IT!!

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to gain experience in a field of your choosing. Between hands on experience working in a non-profit (or doing direct service) and the professional development opportunities, its worth it for someone directly out of college... or even high school and transitional periods as an adult.

Cons

the pay.... you are given a living stipend that it at the poverty level. You learn the challenges many non-profits face.

AmeriCorps VISTA

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Billings, MT

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with passionate, service oriented people
    Learn a lot on the job
    Professional development opportunities
    Non-competitive eligibility and scholarship/cash stipend upon completion of service

Cons

Experience heavily dependent on host site competency—experiences can widely differ
    Sometimes lack of communication between VISTA and host site
    Lack of accountability

Better health insurance, more professional development opportunities, more oversight by VISTA offices

Exhausting work, but worth it for the experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at AmeriCorps (more than an year)

Pros

Monthly training and career guidance, access to non-profit network, ability to gain experience and workplace responsibilities early on in career, Great AmeriCorps support system including fellow members, alumni, and program coordinators

Cons

Basically working for free / the same responsibilities or more than regular paid employees at your site. Community service fatigue

increase stipend amount

Great for those in transition.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Baltimore, MD

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

AmeriCorps was perfect for me after I finished school because it allows you to do something you're passionate about while receiving a steady (though very, very small) stipend. So, you can still support yourself while doing what you love. The education stipend you receive at completion is an added bonus, which helps balance out the low pay.

Cons

AmeriCorps members can sometimes be seen as interns, and get doled out busy work. Just depends on what company you're working for. It can also be really a huge commitment in light of the compensation.

N/A

Amazing experience

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

I learned so much during my year, I don't even know what to say. My horizons here broadened considerably, I made really good friends, and it looks so so good on a resume. You learn a lot about non-profits and NGOs, and a lot of really useful skills like gardening, construction, carpentry, first aid, etc.

Cons

Don't join expecting it to be easy, and don't think you're going to change the world either. The work can be physically demanding and monotonous, but you really are making a difference.

Idealist

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience if you want a career in direct service. Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community.

Cons

Direct service can eventually lead to burn out. Once you decide that you'd like to explore other options one may find that their experience can be hard to taylor to other positions.

Provide more wide ranging professional development opportunities so members aren't pigeon holed.

A place for personal growth

Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Constant training programs, scholarship benefits for students, great alumni network, great opportunities around the nation. Great experience working with teams and community building

Cons

Meeting the hours requirement for some institutions may be difficult when balancing school and work. Definitely do the full year program and avoid doing it within a shorter time frame if possible, i.e one semester

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo