AmeriCorps

Updated March 1, 2015
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Glad I did it

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Vicksburg, MS
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great program for our of college (or before) if you don't know what you want to do next with your life. Gives good experience and good for resume building.

Cons

At times not effective and wish you could be doing more. It depends entirely if you like your team or not. Although there are a lot of group exercises.

Such a big agency so difficult to make changes. The new partnership with FEMA needs to be more effective and the two agencies need to develop better communication and make things more straight forward.

Awesome crew Awesome Team

Current Employee - Waiter
    Current Employee - Waiter

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Fast Pace Simple Job Teamworking

Cons

No prospect poor management team

Need to have job rotation

Americoprs Jumpstart Corps Member

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Kingston, RI
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Kingston, RI

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training for this position in working at a preschool was very intensive and informative. It was a great choice for a year of service while in college. I loved working with my team and the site director at URI was extremely friendly and helpful. Overall a very positive experience that gave me insight into a career in preschool education. This position made me want to consider getting certified as a preschool teacher in the future.

Cons

The trainings might be more helpful with hands on experience in the classroom instead of watching a lot of powerpoints. Many of the corps members had little experience with children so it would have been an easier transition if we got to sit in on a regular class. It's somewhat of an intense experience because you see your team everyday for several hours and are expected to put in extra time at the preschool outside of trainings, meetings and regular sessions along with a full day of classes.

Some of my team members were using their phones during sessions and it made more work for the rest of us in the classroom. A rule about leaving them in the car would be helpful!

Great experience for little money. Perfect for a recent graduate who needs experience

Former Employee - Senior Service and Home Repair Development Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience, great resume builder. Get to serve others and looks really good on a resume if you have little experience.

Cons

Low paying. You get a stipend not a salary. The health benefits are also not good. If financial stability is your gial, may not be the place for you

Decent for a post-college internship, plan to be self-organizing.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AmeriCorps as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

MassLIFT is an AmeriCorps program placing stipended volunteers (essentially interns) at land conservation non-profits across Massachusetts. The program is evolving, but in my year, it provided some minimal training in volunteer management and membership recruitment, and offered to pay for a number of training hours if you identified a training program on your own. Members worked with their local supervisors to design 6 projects for the year that meet member interests and fulfill organization needs.

Top pros:
    - Flexible program, good for independent individuals ready to set and pursue specific interests
    - Pays for trainings by request
    - Good for networking with environmental conservation professionals

Cons

The structure of the internship really varies by which non-profit you're located with. Make sure to ask what kind of supervision and training you'll receive, and consider whether that meets your needs. There was also a lot of variety in my year for how much the 6 projects were pre-designed by the organization, versus how much the member needed to design it themselves. Make sure you're clear on this point during your interview and that you're choosing a location and position where you'll have the structure or flexibility that you're looking for. Finally, the stipend itself is below minimum wage, but comes up to right around the Massachusetts minimum wage when you include the education award received at the end of the year. You're expected to receive food stamps in this program.

Top cons:
    - Structure, training, and supervision vary greatly between sites
    - Stipend falls short of minimum wage

The program could be improved by providing more trainings specific to each position type, and by ensuring clear communication during interviews about expectations for project goals, existing organizational resources and needs, and the supervision available.

National service member

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

incredible experience and exposure to high level programming

Cons

some staff will try to use you as interns

Change Agent: VISTA

Current Employee - Volunteer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Boston, MA

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

I was able to gain a large amount of professional and work experience in such a short amount of time.

Cons

The communication between my site supervisor and HR was terrible. It was difficult to satisfy both parties because they had conflicting tasks for me.

Build relationship with the sites that you send VISTA's.

Awesome !

Former Employee - Career Advancement and Leadership Corp in Brunswick, ME
    Former Employee - Career Advancement and Leadership Corp in Brunswick, ME

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great for new entry workers. Provides a lot of professional experience and makes recent grads have a place to work without vanity. I loved my AmeriCorps experience and I will do it again when I retire. Benefits: Health care covered and education stipend

Cons

You have to be creative and open to changes. Also because most jobs are unpaid..only by stipend you also have to have supplemental income. But when I did it used my connects with the staff that I was working with to get another job that was flexible.

AmeriCorps volunteers are hardworking and dedicated employees. Who else would you meet outside of the the Teach for America or the PeaceCorps will you find someone who will give up one or two years to gain a vast range of experiences without getting paid. AmeriCorps volunteers hold many different positions during their corpship...I was a financial literacy teacher in a high school. Others do scientific erosion research on the coast of Maine, more ride in a coach bus helping natural disaster victims with their healthcare needs all over the country. If an AmeriCorps resume runs across my desk when looking for an position...i would definitely call them in for an interview...if not just to hear about their stories of their time with AmeriCorps.

NCCC Team Member

Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Member in Vicksburg, MS
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Member in Vicksburg, MS

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great group of employees who were willing to help you grow personally and professionally. They helped you get involved in the community and covered all living expenses in my program.

Cons

Lack of communication throughout the entire organization. They were terrible at keeping you up to date with projects or sticking to a specific timeline. They had a lot of double standards and were incredibly inefficient.

I served as an AmeriCorps VISTA from June 2012 to June 2013.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was very mission driven, and it was nice to meet like minded people. It was a great way to get my foot in the door in the non-profit world.

Cons

Compensation is low! Also, sometimes management doesn't know how to treat someone who isn't really staff, but who has staff responsibilities.

Definitely more compensation!

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo