AmeriCorps

Updated January 29, 2015
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

AmeriCorps Vista - On Campus Transition Program ( Arc Jacksonville)

Current Employee - Work Readiness Mentor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Work Readiness Mentor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Office culture was very laid back
    options to volunteer/work on the weekends and on Friday nights for Club Arc (FUN!!)
    Being a part of the Alumni of Americorp is great. We're the people the community making major impact on the community level. Its very self rewarding.

Cons

Other Americorp vista staff not completing work assignments
    Americorp Director was not the best at leadership and management of the corp members and staff

Have leaders who lead with the capable to be effective managers as well!

Love

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Rochester, NY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Although I am only halfway through my term of service, I know that AmeriCorps will be one of the most rewarding experiences I will have in life.

Cons

It is very difficult to survive on the living allowance without help, but it's all part of the experience.

Account

Former Employee - Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great working culture for fresh graduates.

Cons

Needs more interaction between staff.

Much useful training to add to my skills set, but tasks often hard and uninteresting and people sometimes discouraging

Former Employee - City of Tacoma Crew Member in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - City of Tacoma Crew Member in Tacoma, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Many useful formal trainings, and two over-night training weeks customized according to corps members' own preference
    Relatively easy for people aged 18 to 25 to get initially hired (especially in late August to mid-September); Washington Conservation Corps (WCC) apparently willing to hire all kinds of people even with extremely little or no related work experience
    If fitness is a personal priority for you, rest assured that this job keeps corps members fit (assuming one is willing to work as hard as their colleagues)
    Small to moderate chance of obtaining a scientific or educational internship after one year of crew work (if desired)
    Project successes commonly visually evident by comparing the natural state of the work area immediately before and after project work takes place, providing a variable degree (depending on the person) of motivation for completing future projects

Cons

Some of the following applies to my experience specifically with the City of Tacoma Super-(double-)crew:
    My colleagues tended to be particularly "rough around the edges", so to speak, which is very different from my own relatively stable personal background and required considerable adjustment and flexibility from me (City of Tacoma Crew specifically)
    As the above point may suggest, camaraderie among colleagues was fairly scarce in my experience, and my supervisor was particularly bitter, angry, and manipulative (this seems not to be a common experience in other WCC crews, according to conversations I had with other crews' members)
    Pay rate was minimum wage (universal to all crews)
    Projects involved hard manual labor, perhaps the hardest manual work many crew members would ever experience (universal to all crews)
    2-year limit to employment; also, employment only open to people aged 18 to 25 (24-year-olds beginning their first year of WCC employment are thus limited to one year)
    Projects themselves usually involve extremely menial/repetitive labor (including removing debris from urban environments, pulling weeds for many hours to several days at a time, spreading huge amounts of sand on a beach, etc.)

Remain aware of and genuinely interested in crew member experiences, as these bottom-level employees are the backbone, so to speak, of WCC accomplishments
    Keep the current focus on frequent training courses to enhance crew and individual placement members' skill sets
    Remain aware of WCC crew member-supervisor relationships; a bad supervisor-crew member relationship can ruin one or both of these peoples' WCC experience as well as decrease motivation to efficiently and happily complete WCC projects

Great entry level job to build experience (VISTA)

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Boise, ID

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

--Work is meaningful and benefits your community
    --The people you work with are awesome! So much optimism about improving our society
    --Project descriptions are somewhat flexible, and you can self-direct most of your activities

Cons

--Pay is under minimum wage level (appx. $5/hr)
    --Depending on your organization, it can be very unstructured, leaving you wondering what to work on at times

Amazing experience got to work with underprivileged children

Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Very rewarding experience plus you get an award at the end

Cons

Not a lot of help from teachers in classroom

Great Experience yet Incredibly Challenging!

Current Employee - Community Development Corodinator
    Current Employee - Community Development Corodinator

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Truly learn a lot about yourself and gain a lifelong appreciation for helping those less fortunate. I really feel some sort of community service should be a requirement of new grads.

Cons

Hard work unless you are a self-started. Not a lot of direction at times, which can be frustrating.

LOVED IT!!

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to gain experience in a field of your choosing. Between hands on experience working in a non-profit (or doing direct service) and the professional development opportunities, its worth it for someone directly out of college... or even high school and transitional periods as an adult.

Cons

the pay.... you are given a living stipend that it at the poverty level. You learn the challenges many non-profits face.

Worst 10 months of my life in FEMA Corps

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

The work is easy and you get drinking money every two weeks. If you actually want to work for FEMA, it's a good foot in the door. If you actaull

Cons

No work/life balance. Crazy team mates. My team leader was crazy, and she had another girl on her team who was her enforcer. We would try to approach her about issues going on in the team, and she would just burst into tears and nothing would change. As far as FEMA, work, it was really hit-or-miss. My team never went to a disaster site. And the FEMA employees mostly hated us because they thought we were gunning for their jobs (though there were a few exceptions). FEMA didn't know what to do with us--our training did not match our work at all.

End the program.

Great professional development, very challenging at times

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great professional development in the VISTA program. Good experience if you are passionate about the non profit world, want to move to a different part of the country, or just gain some experience after college.

Cons

The individual sites can be very disorganized. There were problems with my SNAP benefits and nobody helped me out. Very low salary.

More benefits.

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo