AmeriCorps

Updated December 21, 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

The most stressful yet rewarding experience of my life. It was my privilege to serve with excellent and admirable people

Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent training and compensation. Provides so many opportunities to experience America in such a unique way.

Cons

Challenging to lead, live, and work with the same team of people for 10 months.

A fantastic opportunity for young, service-oriented leaders

Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA
    Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a team leader I had the opportunity to lead a group of young people in disaster response operations. We were literally one of the first teams on the ground for the response to Hurricane Sandy. We collaborated with many state and federal agencies and I can honestly say that while many while have different experiences, no other year of my life has yielded such tremendous growth.

Cons

You will be living on a minuscule budget, making a small living stipend, gain access to an unremarkable scholarship, live life cramped with the same team of people nearly 24/7 if you choose to join the NCCC program. I miss it regularly.

Allow room for your team leaders to resolve problems outside of the tried approaches. While a relationship with the unit leader is important, it is the relationship with the team of corps members that says the most.

I had a valuable experience working with AmeriCorps that was a great way to prepare myself for applying to graduate school.

Former Employee - Blue Mountain Action Council in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Blue Mountain Action Council in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Education award
    Team building
    Experience in a field that interested me
    Volunteer service

Cons

Living stipend was difficult to live on

Idealist

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience if you want a career in direct service. Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community.

Cons

Direct service can eventually lead to burn out. Once you decide that you'd like to explore other options one may find that their experience can be hard to taylor to other positions.

Provide more wide ranging professional development opportunities so members aren't pigeon holed.

'Improving' volunteer organizations seeking temporary skilled labor.

Former Employee - VISTA Summer Education Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - VISTA Summer Education Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

AmeriCorps works to improve other volunteer and charity organizations, so there are a wide varieties of opportunities to impact good causes through Americorp. For subsidized volunteering, the living allowance is good, and there is an additional education award for students or those with student loans.

Cons

There may be significant differences in the position as described by recruiters, in training, and in reality. An indirect capacity planning position for the Boys and Girls Club, became direct implementation of an undeveloped education program and contributing to general operations duties, with nominal attention to reporting on metrics which were irrelevant to this particular program. The allowance is less than a wage, and overtime and occasional private vehicle use are expected and uncompensated.

Accurate descriptions in recruiting will improve the qualifications of employees for positions. While job descriptions need not be comprehensive, they should not be coordinated with the organizations involved so as not to be misleading.

VISTA with regrets

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in New York, NY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Partnered with great non-proft organizations

Cons

No CNCS, state office, or alumni support

check in on your sites

Not a bad way to spend a year or two

Former Employee - Education Team Member in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Education Team Member in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health insurance, meaningful work

This position included full medical insurance (I can't remember if dental and eye was included). I was placed in an elementary school where I worked as a teaching assistant during the school day and then administered the after-school enrichment program, which consisted of 1 hour of homework followed by activities and athletics.

Cons

Stipend, no room for growth, long hours (8-6)

The stipend given bi-weekly was $1600/month. Post-tax I took home about $680 every 2 weeks. It's not much money, but I knew that going in. This is a 1 or 2-year gig where you'll need to find something else afterward. You don't need a college degree to be considered, so it's something you can do part-time while in school if that's what you're looking for.

Perfect Resume Builder

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

I had an awesome experience and gained some great contacts working with Americorps in Los Angeles. You truly feel like you're making an impact in the community.

Cons

The stipend is absolutely horrible so if you need help paying the bills this is not a good option. Additionally, the hour expectations balanced with a school schedule make it difficult to maintain another job.

I realize this is a government entity so it is impossible to gain too much more money, but if possible a stipend increase or additional benefits is needed to allow the students to survive.

AmeriCorps: Target Tigua

Former Employee - CERT Outreach & Training Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - CERT Outreach & Training Specialist in El Paso, TX

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great training opportunities, excellent work environment.

Cons

I don't have any Cons regarding this experience.

Great opportunity for college students

Former Employee - Intern in Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work hours will not conflict with school hours. Americorps provides excellent opportunities to learn how to lead individually and how to cooperate with large groups of people. Students will learn valuable skills such as grant writing, how to work with various groups of people, multi-tasking skills, and will have hundreds of hours to devote to community service and non-for-profit projects within their community.

Cons

Outside requirements may be time consuming. The application process is about 40 pages long and requires 3 references to write and send in to the student's application office for Americorps. Not all schools participate in Americorps. The program I selected provided me with a monthly allowance and by the end of my service term, I received a $2000 grant which helped greatly with school housing fees.

Generally the program is overlooked by a superior and actually run by grad students. It is easy for your supervisor to get caught up in other projects, so, the student must be very organized and time-conscious.

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo