AmeriCorps Reviews

1. Very worth while if you're OK with making no money

Former Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Denver, CO

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great connections and Professional Development

Cons

You get paid about $1200 annually

2. Housing Coordinator

Current Employee - Housing Counselor in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Housing Counselor in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time

Pros

Great volunteer experience and connections to agencies. Great for someone looking for a permanent position in the non-profit sector.

Cons

Too demanding for too little pay!

Advice to Management

Make the requirements less demanding. Especially for student workers.

3. Great Experience!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Madison, WI

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eye-opening opportunities, great way to get involved in the community

Cons

Low living stipend, can be tough emotionally

5. Wages

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, I feel like I am really helping my community and am learning a lot to be able to later pursue a career in the nonprofit sector

Cons

The wages are not based on income or the minimum wage set by each state, therefore I am currently working for below minimum wage in my state struggling to make ends meet. In addition, I do not think it is fair after receiving so little to then have to be taxed on our education award

Advice to Management

Change the wage based on state and cost of living, and do not tax the education award.

6. I worked for the California Dept. of Veterans Affairs through Americorps.

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

This is good if:
    1. You absolutely can't find work or in between jobs.
    2. Considering switching fields (I wanted to go into Veteran's Services). I had a good fellow employee who showed me the ropes about the VA.
    3. A student.
    4. In my case I had decent county employees with me (I usually worked alone though in the county veterans service office).

Cons

1. The pay is next to nothing.
    2. No future career prospects with the organization you work with. I tried to find a testing date for the California Veteran's Service Rep exam and the Regional Coordinator never told me despite the fact he recently took the test.
    3. The organizations that use Americorps personnel are in it for really cheap labor.

Advice to Management

Listen if someone wants to be in the career field instead of looking at them as cheap labor. This should be an eye opener since I have left, they've been having a hard time recruiting for this position.

7. Served as a City Year Corps Member in San Antonio. Ran tutoring and after school programs. Community service projects.

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

City Year really focuses on professional development. Working with students can be fun. You really learn to be part of a team. A great stepping stone if you're thinking of becoming a teacher. Access to partner organizations. Access to food stamps. The City of San Antonio gave each corps member a free bus pass. You can get a $5,500 education award to be used towards student loans and interest on your government loans is paused while you serve.

Cons

Really long hours sometimes working around 55 hours per week. You only receive a monthly living stipend. You have to find your own housing and the livings stipend doesn't change based on where you serve; serving in a location where the cost of living is lower helps with this. It's hard work and some people quit.

Advice to Management

Be careful about your choice of future Corps Members and Managers. I've seen some people in leadership positions who really didn't do their job properly.

8. Team Member - Americorps

Former Employee - Team Member in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food, housing, stipend, and ability to travel the nation doing good

Cons

Crumby accommodations; lack of privacy

9. LOTS of red tape

Current Employee - ReadyWisconsin Member
    Current Employee - ReadyWisconsin Member

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Opportunities to go to trainings and meet a lot of diverse people from different backgrounds.

Cons

It is a service position and mine is part time, which means I have to work another job full time just to make ends meet financially. It's also frustrating answering to three different agencies because that means there is a lot of red tape and tons of paperwork that seems to be unnecessary.

10. Americoprs Jumpstart Corps Member

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Kingston, RI
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Kingston, RI

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training for this position in working at a preschool was very intensive and informative. It was a great choice for a year of service while in college. I loved working with my team and the site director at URI was extremely friendly and helpful. Overall a very positive experience that gave me insight into a career in preschool education. This position made me want to consider getting certified as a preschool teacher in the future.

Cons

The trainings might be more helpful with hands on experience in the classroom instead of watching a lot of powerpoints. Many of the corps members had little experience with children so it would have been an easier transition if we got to sit in on a regular class. It's somewhat of an intense experience because you see your team everyday for several hours and are expected to put in extra time at the preschool outside of trainings, meetings and regular sessions along with a full day of classes.

Advice to Management

Some of my team members were using their phones during sessions and it made more work for the rest of us in the classroom. A rule about leaving them in the car would be helpful!

11. Great experience for little money. Perfect for a recent graduate who needs experience

Former Employee - Senior Service and Home Repair Development Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience, great resume builder. Get to serve others and looks really good on a resume if you have little experience.

Cons

Low paying. You get a stipend not a salary. The health benefits are also not good. If financial stability is your gial, may not be the place for you

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo