AmeriCorps Reviews

331 reviews filtered by

1. NCCC Team Member

Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Member in Vicksburg, MS
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Member in Vicksburg, MS

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great group of employees who were willing to help you grow personally and professionally. They helped you get involved in the community and covered all living expenses in my program.

Cons

Lack of communication throughout the entire organization. They were terrible at keeping you up to date with projects or sticking to a specific timeline. They had a lot of double standards and were incredibly inefficient.

2. Americorps Alaska

Former Employee - Volunteer in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Juneau, AK

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff in Juneau are very helpful and provide adequate training
    Parks Department as well as Fish and Game will teach you a lot about the environment

Cons

Sleep in tents every night
    group meals at night were barely edible
    mosquitos that meant business

3. I served as an AmeriCorps VISTA from June 2012 to June 2013.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was very mission driven, and it was nice to meet like minded people. It was a great way to get my foot in the door in the non-profit world.

Cons

Compensation is low! Also, sometimes management doesn't know how to treat someone who isn't really staff, but who has staff responsibilities.

Definitely more compensation!

5. Experience in AmeriCorps

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Rewarding work, interesting people, and you learn a lot.

Cons

Very low pay and health insurance doesn't qualify under the Affordable Care Act.

You all did a great job!

6. Happy with the experience!

Current Employee - Health Navigator in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Health Navigator in Lansing, MI

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

I was able to really add value to the community and work with other Americorps members who shared the same passion.

Cons

Some host site employees make it seem like your contribution is less valuable because you are not an employee. It depends on your host site. I was lucky with a great one for my first term and second one but some employees in the later term didn't treat us like assets or teammates more like competition.

Keep the program around. It really fosters community engagement and grass-root efforts.

7. AmeriCorps Vista - On Campus Transition Program ( Arc Jacksonville)

Current Contractor - Work Readiness Mentor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Contractor - Work Readiness Mentor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Office culture was very laid back
    options to volunteer/work on the weekends and on Friday nights for Club Arc (FUN!!)
    Being a part of the Alumni of Americorp is great. We're the people the community making major impact on the community level. Its very self rewarding.

Cons

Other Americorp vista staff not completing work assignments
    Americorp Director was not the best at leadership and management of the corp members and staff

Have leaders who lead with the capable to be effective managers as well!

8. Account

Former Employee - Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great working culture for fresh graduates.

Cons

Needs more interaction between staff.

9. Love

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Rochester, NY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Although I am only halfway through my term of service, I know that AmeriCorps will be one of the most rewarding experiences I will have in life.

Cons

It is very difficult to survive on the living allowance without help, but it's all part of the experience.

10. Amazing experience got to work with underprivileged children

Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Very rewarding experience plus you get an award at the end

Cons

Not a lot of help from teachers in classroom

Much useful training to add to my skills set, but tasks often hard and uninteresting and people sometimes discouraging

Former Employee - City of Tacoma Crew Member in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - City of Tacoma Crew Member in Tacoma, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Many useful formal trainings, and two over-night training weeks customized according to corps members' own preference
    Relatively easy for people aged 18 to 25 to get initially hired (especially in late August to mid-September); Washington Conservation Corps (WCC) apparently willing to hire all kinds of people even with extremely little or no related work experience
    If fitness is a personal priority for you, rest assured that this job keeps corps members fit (assuming one is willing to work as hard as their colleagues)
    Small to moderate chance of obtaining a scientific or educational internship after one year of crew work (if desired)
    Project successes commonly visually evident by comparing the natural state of the work area immediately before and after project work takes place, providing a variable degree (depending on the person) of motivation for completing future projects

Cons

Some of the following applies to my experience specifically with the City of Tacoma Super-(double-)crew:
    My colleagues tended to be particularly "rough around the edges", so to speak, which is very different from my own relatively stable personal background and required considerable adjustment and flexibility from me (City of Tacoma Crew specifically)
    As the above point may suggest, camaraderie among colleagues was fairly scarce in my experience, and my supervisor was particularly bitter, angry, and manipulative (this seems not to be a common experience in other WCC crews, according to conversations I had with other crews' members)
    Pay rate was minimum wage (universal to all crews)
    Projects involved hard manual labor, perhaps the hardest manual work many crew members would ever experience (universal to all crews)
    2-year limit to employment; also, employment only open to people aged 18 to 25 (24-year-olds beginning their first year of WCC employment are thus limited to one year)
    Projects themselves usually involve extremely menial/repetitive labor (including removing debris from urban environments, pulling weeds for many hours to several days at a time, spreading huge amounts of sand on a beach, etc.)

Remain aware of and genuinely interested in crew member experiences, as these bottom-level employees are the backbone, so to speak, of WCC accomplishments
    Keep the current focus on frequent training courses to enhance crew and individual placement members' skill sets
    Remain aware of WCC crew member-supervisor relationships; a bad supervisor-crew member relationship can ruin one or both of these peoples' WCC experience as well as decrease motivation to efficiently and happily complete WCC projects

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo