AmeriCorps Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. HealthCorps Navigator

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Getting the experience was great! They teach you how to be professional in the workplace if you have never been in one.

Cons

Low stipend, difficult to live on.

2. Exceptional

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

1. Flexible places (usually a school near your home)
    2. Flexible schedule (related to the School you work with.
    3. Excellent supportive team.
    4. Acceptable training.
    5. If you fulfill the hours (1720 as full time or 860 as part time) you will be awarded $5500 or $2750 to your education loan; you can use it or a first relative within 7 years.

Cons

1. Limited Salary
    2. An 11 month contract that can be renewed for 4 years only.
    3. The education award can be awarded 2 times only.

Advice to Management

1. The are doing a great job
    2.They have to raise the salary towards the minimum wage.
    3. Try to promote the company to the high Schooler.

3. Project More

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps (Less than a year)

Pros

-Gaining transferrable skills
    -networking
    -meeting new people
    -various volunteer opportunities
    -learning to adjust to terrible attitudes and terrible supervision

Cons

-terrible supervision
    -no personal days or sick days
    -easy to fall behind in hours, hard to catch up
    -too much clerical work and not enough getting things done

Advice to Management

be careful who you hire to supervise your AC members. some supervisors make member feel unappreciated, which later leads to them not enjoying nor recommend

others to serve.

5. Working in an AmeriCorps program

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain experience, professional development, host sites, network

Cons

Stipend, professional development, hour requirements for such a low salary.

Advice to Management

Pay more

6. AmeriCorps VISTA - Keeps you in Poverty

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

The experience you receive is completely dependent on your site placement. I was fortunate to have been with an organization that I was already familiar with and whose work and programs I was able to have an integral part in creating. We were fortunate to be in a cohort of VISTAs from similar organizations that met monthly as a support system which made the year easier.

Cons

The VISTA program wants its members to eliminate poverty yet also experience it and assumes that its members have not before experienced poverty. At a time when minimum wage is being raised in areas across the country to provide a living wage, AmeriCorps - a federal government organization - pays its employees less than minimum wage. If the AmeriCorps VISTA program mission is truly to eliminate poverty and create sustainability within organizations and communities, then pay your workers a living wage. It's unfortunate that just this year it was considered acceptable in policy for VISTAs to hold more than one job and that this language used frames that ability to now hold a second job as something we should be happy about and grateful for even though we are already supposed to be "on-call" 24/7.

Advice to Management

As noted above, pay your workers a living wage. We are not all out of school graduates that have never experienced poverty and it is ironic and sad that the purpose is an anti-poverty program.

7. Great Experience with NYC Service

Former Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Former Employee - New York in New York, NY

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

-Had some great experience learning more about volunteer management
    -Monthly Seminars- Had an opportunity to hear about the background regarding leaders' road to service
    -Eventually was able to get a job at my host site

Cons

-You are given a stipend, therefore you must have either saved money or have a second job
    -You don't get to choose your host site, I was fortunate enough to have had a good one
    -You are not guaranteed employment after the 10 months

8. Great fun with little kids (preK) while teaching them, you're learning as well as they are.

Current Employee - Literacy Tutor - Community Corps PreK in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Literacy Tutor - Community Corps PreK in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great connection, relationship build-up, FUN, AMAZING, life changing, great team, learning is fun especially with PreK kids, life changing for the little ones

Cons

Having to deal with the "wiggly" students, constant nagging about not wanting to do something, leaving at the end of the year and wishing them luck in Kindergarten.

Advice to Management

Have good time management, stay on top of your game, keep data entries and the system up to date as often as you can, have fun and just be yourself - the kids will LOVE you.

9. rough job

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

The education award is a wonderful asset along with insurance. You also get your taxes paid on your student loans while in the program.

Cons

Management is always bad, there is never clear expectations and almost always no employee support.

Advice to Management

You could be more organized, not let politics effect your decisions on who you serve, treat your members with respect and realize the sacrifice it takes to do this position

10. School Day Tutor with Americorps

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Tutor in Fayette, MS
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Tutor in Fayette, MS

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to have knowledge about working with 1st and 2nd grade elementary students also having the ability to help them to enhance their reading and comprehension skills.

Cons

Acknowledging the difficulties of working with employees and other staff superior but being able to handle all situations professionally.

Advice to Management

Making sure the necessary resources are available that benefits every student need to be and remain motivated for learning and explore great opportunities that will make to school become more effective.

11. Support from National Organization awful

Current Employee - Neighborhood and Youth Enrichment Leader in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Neighborhood and Youth Enrichment Leader in Springfield, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The sites are generally in charge of your day to day tasks and responsibilities. I was fortunate to get a supervisor that was passionate and helpful in allowing me to do my best work. It's all about the supervisor you get, because the support from AmeriCorps directly is limited after they "train" you for a 3-day stint before you start service.

Cons

AmeriCorps support, especially through the so-called "VISTA Member Support Unit" was terrible. These folks get paid actual salaries to assist VISTAs but rarely take their jobs seriously. It took me 4 phone calls and a host of emails to get an issue solved that they identified as "not an issue." At first they were unwilling to pay a travel stipend for me to return home, since I relocated to serve with AmeriCorps. They finally saw the light after 3 phone calls, but then chose to give me the absolute lowest mileage possible from zip code to zip code. It was literally a measly 15 dollars that they weaseled their way out of. Sad that an organization that pays it's employees less than 3 dollars an hour (legally somehow) is able to act like a corporate entity in doing the absolute minimum to support it's members. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone as a result of this experience.

Advice to Management

Take some time to reevaluate the purpose of the program - they recently changed a regulation that allows VISTAs to seek outside employment, making their philosophy that VISTAs should be at the level of income their populations receive void. This means that a pay increase should happen ASAP. It's unethical for the government to allow organizations like this one to place people, often recent college graduates, into indentured servitude in order to pay off federal student loans. That truly is the only benefit to my two years of service, sadly.

Look deeply before you choose to be exploited by AmeriCorps.

RSS Feed </> Embed