AmeriCorps Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. YouthBuild Assistant Instructor

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

we do great work for and with the community. Rewarding beyond money, wonderful to see the clients and their families become successful and happy!

Cons

Want to get done more for the community than available $$ to do it gets frustrating

Advice to Management

Keep open mind to all incoming diverse people

2. Amazing experience, little reward after

Former Employee - Corps Member in Vinton, IA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Vinton, IA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With NCCC, I got to travel to parts of the country I would have never visited otherwise. I visited cities I never thought I'd see. I was taught and used new skills to help people in ways I didn't think I'd be able to. I made lifelong friendships with teammates and other corps members I never would have met otherwise. It's an amazing experience for people in a transitionary point in there lives, such as just out of high school or college, and trying to figure out what to do next.

Cons

Like everyone else has mentioned, the stipend is tiny. I also had a really hard time getting paid back for the interest that accrued on my student loans and in receiving my education award. I spent hours on the phone with the Corporation for National & Community Service, my loan providers, and the student loan ombudsman to get it all worked out. It was figured out eventually, but I wasn't able to use the education award until one year after I finished NCCC. It also took me a year to find a steady job after I left.

Advice to Management

Less bureaucracy, more help finding work after AmeriCorps.

3. AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AmeriCorps can be great, or it can be terrible. I had a great placement when I was a VISTA, so I had a great experience. You receive an Education Award for your loans after you finish your placement.

Cons

Although I had a great placement, that is not always the case. Do your research before you accept a position. Very low pay. At the time, you couldn't hold an outside job (now you can). Education Award is nice but is counted as income and is taxed.

Advice to Management

Make sure to vet your organizations before giving them VISTAs! We had friends whose organizations disappeared before they even started.

5. AmeriCorps Teacher

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great experience working with youth. Gave me the opportunity to learn much about the education world.

Cons

The money is pretty bad.

Advice to Management

provide greater member training.

6. National Service is a Cost-effective solution to America'stoughest problems

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

- National Service members improve the lives of millions of our most vulnerable citizens each year. - National Service places thousands of teachers, tutors, and mentors into low performing schools, helping students succeed in school and gain skills necessary to get 21st century jobs. - National Service engages members in fighting poverty by creating businesses, expanding access to technology, recruiting volunteers to teach literacy, and strengthening antipoverty groups.

Cons

- National Service members are paid wages at poverty level and are expected to fulfill a year of service; at this wage, the year was tuff; they did just change their policy and you now are able to work a part-time job to compensate.

Advice to Management

None.. I loved the experience!

7. Cool position for brief periods

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Cool co-workers Opportunity to move to different parts of the country Access to Segal Education Award

Cons

Low Pay Inconsistencies at non-profit management level

8. Depends on where you do it

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Provides experience in difficult environments

Cons

Unworkable stipend for part-timers, especially in high cost areas like the SF Bay Area.

9. National Volunteer

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AmeriCorps is built for success. It helps you to become an extrovert and get out and about in Your community and do things

Cons

A few sites they may place you at you might not like the employers there

10. Be sure to do your research

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

They provide housing, food allowance, and a living stipend. Your basic needs will always be covered. You learn to be grateful for the things you have in life.

Cons

You are not always treated as an adult. When traveling to different projects, housing may range from a nice cabin to sleeping in cots in a church room floor. You never know what you're going to get. This is a full time live-in program. You are kind of always on the clock.

Advice to Management

Hire more responsible corps members if you want to avoid issues. Let corps members go when they cause issues. Make them take responsibility for their actions (not the Team Leaders) and that way everyone can be treated as an adult.

11. Only do it if you think you'll love it

Current Employee - Mentor in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Mentor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You truly get to make a difference if you want to. It's all about how much you put in. - There's many different types of programs that you can join, working on different issues with different age groups. - You learn a lot about yourself working for such minimal pay.

Cons

- Can be extremely difficult to live on the stipend. I definitely needed to apply for food stamps. - At times, my program felt unorganized.

Advice to Management

Great opportunities provided, but I would highly recommend increasing the stipends at least a little. The stress over lack of money can really take away from the experience of giving back to the community.

RSS Feed </> Embed