AmeriCorps Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Watershed Ambassador

Pros

lenient work schedule, numerous networking opportunities, enjoyable experience

Cons

10 month long program, poor wages as you only receive a living stipend and an education award upon completion, a lot of travel

2. K-focus Literacy Tutor

Current Employee - K-focus Literacy Tutor in North Branch, MN
    Current Employee - K-focus Literacy Tutor in North Branch, MN

Pros

Great environment to grow professionally and give back to our communities. Thorough training and support for the work that is expected.

Cons

Working for AmeriCorps is not a career but service.

Advice to Management

Be very specific in hiring practices especially when the employees are working with children who need stable and reliable adults in their lives.

3. Great opportunity to gain professional experience

Former Employee - Program Coordinator, Non-Profit in Moab, UT
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator, Non-Profit in Moab, UT

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Working as an AmeriCorps VISTA I was able to gain invaluable professional experience in the field of health care for the underserved. The education award of $5,550 was very useful to help pay off some of my student loans. Interest accrued on loans is paid off by the government at the end of service.

Cons

While you receive a monthly stipend, it is enough to live off of but not enough to save much money.

Advice to Management

It would be great if there was more career guidance and networking opportunities for AmeriCorps members finishing their year or years of service.

5. Bad Mangement

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good interview questions and respectful to the candidate.

Cons

Management seemed organized, but communication was horrible. No one is trained to work with VISTA members. Screening of people of VISTA members needs to be better. HR support was super poor when it came to harassment.

Advice to Management

There needs to be better communication as to what VISTA job roles are. Screening of VISTA candidates needs to be better.

6. VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Education Award, Fulfilling work, good network

Cons

Low pay, lots of hours, no benefits

Advice to Management

pay more

7. It was cool

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Seattle, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get lots of experience and can engage with various communities, it's a great way to get your foot in the door with a potential employer.

Cons

Your experience really depends on where your site is. Some supervisors are better than others. The pay is awful.

Advice to Management

Increase pay!! The education award shouldn't count as an income!!

8. High School Equivalency Coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, WA

Pros

Great work opportunities for people entering the workforce. Great way to give back to the community. Great way to travel without long-term commitment.

Cons

Low pay. Limited training opportunities. Limited support from supervisors and administration. Few vacation days.

AmeriCorps Stipend

Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator, AmeriCorps in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator, AmeriCorps in Seattle, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps (Less than a year)

Pros

Through the AmeriCorps program, I am not directly employed, instead I receive a stipend from AmeriCorps to serve for at least 1700 hours (10.5 months) at an agency/organisation that serves underserved populations. I especially recommend the program for young people who need to gain some work experience before they can start their career. At the non-profit I worked at I was treated as staff member, due to the low budget available for employees, and accordingly you gain leadership experience. The AmeriCorps program allows you to work for a great cause while you gain professional experience and upon completion of the 1700 hours there is a $5000 education award, which you can use to pay of qualified student loans or to further your education. Your colleagues will be employees at the agency and their volunteers, who are people who contribute their time and work to a great cause. There are many resources to help you translate your AmeriCor experience onto your resume and to find employment after AmeriCorps. The AmeriCorps experience looks good on your resume and helps you to find a job after AmeriCorps.

Cons

- You have to pay tax on the education award, when you use it. So plan accordingly. - Living on the $1150 stipend in a metropolitan area can be challenging, but due to your low income you might qualify for food stamps, which might help you get by. All AmeriCor I know had a second job to make it by every month. - You have to learn to set boundaries (depending on how challenging and demanding your position is), so that you are not available all the time. Since you are a full time volunteer, there is no maximum limit on your hours unless you set it. There is always something to do if you want to take it on (which is also positive of cause). - there are often few employed positions, so not many AmeriCor have to chance to continue to work as an employee at the agency. However, if there is an opening AmeriCor have an advantage to get the position at the end of their term, if they have proven themselves during their term.

Advice to Management

Keep up the program. It is a great program especially for young people who need to gain work experience before they can start their career. Probably there would be many issues to implement this, but maybe a stipend system that is adjusted to the living costs in the area could be considered.

10. Transitional Job

Current Employee - Health Coordinator in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Health Coordinator in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Infrastructure is solid and there are lots of resources and training that they provide that benefits you.

Cons

If you don't enjoy your host site's infrastructure you can feel a little out of the loop when you see the disparity between how organized a big agency is compared to a smaller agency. This problem wasn't the case for me , but I heard about it being a common complaint.

Advice to Management

This experience is what you make it to be. For me it wasn't life changing but I do have an appreciation for how agencies work and make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate.

11. Rewarding but ALOT of Work

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time

Pros

Got the chance to work with kids and help my community

Cons

very unorganized, lack of communication, very time-consuming, low pay

Advice to Management

Organize better

RSS Feed </> Embed