AmeriCorps Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. AmeriCorps

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Great experience. Make a difference. Great for a gap year. You really expand your horizons.

Cons

You are doing community service so it does't pay well but you get an education award and it is rewarding to contribute to a community.

Advice to Management

Get a bit more organized and market better.

2. If you can handle the pay and bureaucracy...

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader
    Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader

I worked at AmeriCorps (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel, meet interesting people, and excellent healthcare (in NCCC)

Cons

work and live with the same people, pay stinks.

3. VISTA experience

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

Pros

I genuinely loved my time as a VISTA and the experience led me to grad school in my organization's field. I was given plenty of latitude and meaningful tasks, and felt that I was surrounded by people who shared my values.

Cons

Not all organizations are great VISTA sites, and that can make or break the experience. Obviously the living stipend is tiny, although to a recent college grad who grew up without a ton of money, it felt okay (and was enough to live on). Living in a low-cost area with a network of AmeriCorps people in your city/region helps immensely.

5. AmeriCorps

Current Employee - Classroom Coach in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Classroom Coach in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Help paying for the GRE, free childcare, grad school application reimbursement, 5,500 scholarship

Cons

Often work weekends and long hours

Advice to Management

Be careful of who to make site partnerships with.

6. Americorps vista

Pros

Working with a non profit in under served communities in order to bring people out of impoverished living standards.

Cons

Pay is minimal to the point of relying on government benefits for quality of life living standards. Minimal support during year of service from program.

Advice to Management

Increase pay in order to increase living standards of workers. Help with housing for workers as well when relocating to new cities.

7. cfo

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Hayes, VA
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Hayes, VA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

cfo,past bank Sr underwriter- ability to adapt, focus moving the people wits great success.

Cons

CFO,past bank Sr underwriter- will to move for right position, that makes a con?

Advice to Management

cfo,past bank sr underwriter

8. Saving the world!

Pros

With AmeriCorps VISTA, I was able to really move forward with some big goals. I created a sustainable fundraising strategy, cultivated donors, built a vital social media presence and made a difference in the lives of the clients.

Cons

Very minimal pay. Not much support for experienced mid-career professionals. Better for young, fresh from college individuals.

Advice to Management

Recognize that even though VISTAs are stipended volunteers, they have experiences which are valuable. Don't underestimate.

9. Chicago Health Corps member

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

THIS REVIEW IS SPECIFICALLY FOR THE CHICAGO HEALTH CORPS BRANCH OF THE NATIONAL HEALTH CORPS AND NOT AMERICORPS IN GENERAL. Networking, career development trainings, opportunity to help the community.

Cons

Difficult and sometimes uncomfortable balance in distinguishing the corps as a group of friends vs. a group of coworkers. The experiences vastly varies based on your host site placement. Supervisors at host sites are hit or miss - some much more qualified than others. Within CHC and NHC management and program directors, there is a strong attitude of "because it's the way we've always done it." Many good and plausible suggestions from Corps Members were disregarded for this reasoning.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback of the Corps Members and take it seriously. In a typical volunteer day, much time ends up being wasted because there is not enough to do at the individual host site. There should be a group host site, such as a soup kitchen or community garden, that everyone can go to if there is not enough to do at their personal site on a particular day.

10. Former AmeriCorps Member

Pros

As AmeriCorps members, you are placed in different areas to serve the underserved. It is a very rewarding and fulfilling experience.

Cons

The conpensation is very little. AmeriCorps members work very hard for little pay, BUT the experience is invaluable.

11. YouthBuild Assistant Instructor

Pros

we do great work for and with the community. Rewarding beyond money, wonderful to see the clients and their families become successful and happy!

Cons

Want to get done more for the community than available $$ to do it gets frustrating

Advice to Management

Keep open mind to all incoming diverse people

RSS Feed </> Embed