AmeriCorps

Updated August 17, 2014

3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job (in 22 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself (in 12 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Youth Coordinator

Pros

Loved the team and interaction

Cons

Wish it was longer internship

Served for a year with Habitat for Humanity

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator

Pros

I was thrown in with everyone else to provide affordable housing for families in need. It was truly fulfilling.
    Educational Award at the end of the year of service.
    Met amazing people who just wanted to make a difference in the community.

Cons

Payment at poverty level, only to know what it's like to live in poverty to help those in poverty.

I had some issues, but at the end of the year I felt like they were resolved and my concerns addressed.

Great for recent college graduates!

Former Employee - Service-Learning Coordinator  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Service-Learning Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I worked in public schools for two terms. My first year, with City of Lakes AmeriCorps, was outstanding! The professional opportunities were limitless and I gained a lot from the Friday trainings. My second year, with Federal Way Public Schools AmerICorps, provided less opportunities for professional growth. Most programs provide you with an amazing network that is tailored to your professional interests. It's a great way to introduce yourself to the working world.

Cons

In some cities, the work stipend is a little difficult to live on. And each program is different, so those thinking of applying to AmeriCorps should be thoughtful about what type of supervision and environment they prefer.

Allow time to hear feedback during the year from your members - don't wait until the end of the term!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding and Character Building

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  Lyons, NY
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Lyons, NY

Pros

Varied experiences, exposure to non-linear career paths, and insight into the world of non-profits.

Cons

Not a lot of cash to be made here, so the $$ for college has to be part of your motivation.

Volunteer Cooridnator

Pros

Valuable experience and enjoyed helping others.

Cons

Minimum Pay and pay doesn't match efforts

Increase educational award

Great experience

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA  in  Montpelier, VT
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Montpelier, VT

Pros

Community oriented and giving back to the community

Cons

Not much growth possible in this company

Give back with Americorps

Pros

AmeriCorps gave me the opportunity to serve my local community and earn a little bit of money for college. It gave me job skills that I did not have when I applied, and introduced me to like minded people.

Cons

Salary is terrible, and it takes over your life.

AmeriCorps NCCC FEMA Corps

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Washington, DC

Pros

Depending on where you are placed and what your position is, you have the opportunity to directly assist disaster survivors, which is an extremely challenging, but rewarding experience. Great for the resume, excellent networking opportunities, $5,500 education award

Cons

This is not an easy program. Be aware that you will be living below the poverty line, and with the same group of people for ten months. There is no such thing as personal space. FEMA Corps is also a new program, so there are still a number of kinks that staff and FEMA are working out. However, it's getting there, and I think has a lot of potential in the future.

One of the worst experiences ever! Do not do it!

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tutor in Denver, CO

Pros

You get to work with kids and help them to learn how to read.

Cons

You are over worked, under paid, not insured (they lie about the nature of the insurance), want you to work non stop without breaks, no sick time, no benefits of any real kind, poor training, poor management, poor support, toxic environments for staff, promises of work turning into networking opportunities are false, actual skills do not translate into real job opportunities, but advertising for how great Americorps is; bad end of employment grant translates to fewer opportunities than described, a pittance of salary: $1100 per month, a subsidiary insurance plan, negative software program that has you repeating your labor 10 or more times while they blame the staff for poor data input; gossiping, telling tales out of school the 3 stooges for management, dishonesty, blatant lying, disrespect and more - it is not worth it!

Please stop misleading these good hearted people who are looking for a way to translate volunteering into a future of paid employment; that their (new) skills will translate to viable employment. Instead of giving an 8 hour professional development session on how to create a resume, or write an email -- try getting employers to come in and tell them what their chances are of a job - along with recruiters for employment? Please stop misrepresenting the grants - 5500 - if they get to the end and earn them - they can be applied with a great deal of effort and barriers - to fewer resources than described; the training? Fire your trainer and get a real trainer in there who can teach the program properly; stop kissing the butts of school staff and networking for jobs for your friends - and not insisting that the school staff - do their part - that would be read the materials - and do what they claim they are doing - this is unethical and abusive of the grantors intentions -- stop sending out accidental messages of your 401k's to the over worked under paid field staff; while the grunts in the trenches are encouraged to collect welfare, and food stamps; even Walmarts pays better than this so called job where you tell one lie after the other - we expect that from corporate America - we do not expect that from a grass roots group pretending to care about people - when in reality - you are getting paid more, and off the backs of these financial slaves all the while objecting to capitalism and encouraging people not to seek viable income paying jobs so that they remain at your disposal. And stop lying; it's unbecoming and just makes the whole idea of volunteering a real turn off.

A disappointing experience as an AmeriCorps VISTA.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

Pros

Experience and resume building. Chance to travel within the U.S. territories. You're able to make a difference in your community.

The relocation money is great! Not a lot, but helpful in the long run. They also help pay for your move back home after your time of service.

It's only a year commitment, which is shorter than the Peace Corps and better for those who aren't ready to take on a 2 year commitment. You can also bring pets (if it's okay with your roommate and it's in your own apartment, house, etc. ) unlike the Peace Corps

My experience was very stressful, but I would do it again. ONLY as a summer or part-time volunteer so I could get an extra job while serving.

Cons

I don't want to bash AmeriCorps completely. I was just very disappointed by my experience as a VISTA. It's difficult to make an impact in your community when you're constantly stressed and living from paycheck to paycheck.

There's a lack of communication and organization within AmeriCorps itself. examples: late monthly payments. Serving during the government shut down meant not knowing if you'd be able to pay your rent in time, but still expected to work until the shutdown ended. Also, somebody broke into the system and stole a few bank numbers. So you know, that happened...

It's health COVERAGE, not insurance, and it isn't up to government standards which many AmeriCorps workers didn't know until well after March 31st and now are being fined for being uninsured. There's very little the health coverage actually covers. Pregnancy bills, doctors visits, and medications are a few that aren't covered. It's more like a joke.

The low pay makes it impossible to live by yourself, but that's expected living under the poverty line. So you really do NEED a roommate. They really should emphasis that more.

I joined AmeriCorps hoping I could grow, make change, and perhaps get a $5550 education stipend. Left feeling stressed, like I had wasted a year, and $1000 in debt.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!