AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
331 reviews filtered by

I am currently serving- one year total.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps* Vista in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone will have a different experience, but mine has been amazing. My supervisor is fantastic and flexible with my schedule. I love serving my community. It's great for your resume and the education award is nice if you plan on continuing your education (or pay some existing loans).

Cons

The only downfall I have experienced is the living allowance. My loan company isn't helping in any way so that's been difficult.

2. AmeriCorps VISTA

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Billings, MT

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work with passionate, service oriented people
    Learn a lot on the job
    Professional development opportunities
    Non-competitive eligibility and scholarship/cash stipend upon completion of service

Cons

Experience heavily dependent on host site competency—experiences can widely differ
    Sometimes lack of communication between VISTA and host site
    Lack of accountability

Better health insurance, more professional development opportunities, more oversight by VISTA offices

3. The most stressful yet rewarding experience of my life. It was my privilege to serve with excellent and admirable people

Former Contractor - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Former Contractor - AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and compensation. Provides so many opportunities to experience America in such a unique way.

Cons

Challenging to lead, live, and work with the same team of people for 10 months.

5. A fantastic opportunity for young, service-oriented leaders

Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA
    Former Employee - NCCC Team Leader in Vinton, IA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a team leader I had the opportunity to lead a group of young people in disaster response operations. We were literally one of the first teams on the ground for the response to Hurricane Sandy. We collaborated with many state and federal agencies and I can honestly say that while many while have different experiences, no other year of my life has yielded such tremendous growth.

Cons

You will be living on a minuscule budget, making a small living stipend, gain access to an unremarkable scholarship, live life cramped with the same team of people nearly 24/7 if you choose to join the NCCC program. I miss it regularly.

Allow room for your team leaders to resolve problems outside of the tried approaches. While a relationship with the unit leader is important, it is the relationship with the team of corps members that says the most.

6. Idealist

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience if you want a career in direct service. Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community.

Cons

Direct service can eventually lead to burn out. Once you decide that you'd like to explore other options one may find that their experience can be hard to taylor to other positions.

Provide more wide ranging professional development opportunities so members aren't pigeon holed.

'Improving' volunteer organizations seeking temporary skilled labor.

Former Intern - VISTA Summer Education Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - VISTA Summer Education Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

AmeriCorps works to improve other volunteer and charity organizations, so there are a wide varieties of opportunities to impact good causes through Americorp. For subsidized volunteering, the living allowance is good, and there is an additional education award for students or those with student loans.

Cons

There may be significant differences in the position as described by recruiters, in training, and in reality. An indirect capacity planning position for the Boys and Girls Club, became direct implementation of an undeveloped education program and contributing to general operations duties, with nominal attention to reporting on metrics which were irrelevant to this particular program. The allowance is less than a wage, and overtime and occasional private vehicle use are expected and uncompensated.

Accurate descriptions in recruiting will improve the qualifications of employees for positions. While job descriptions need not be comprehensive, they should not be coordinated with the organizations involved so as not to be misleading.

8. I had a valuable experience working with AmeriCorps that was a great way to prepare myself for applying to graduate school.

Former Employee - Blue Mountain Action Council in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Blue Mountain Action Council in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Education award
    Team building
    Experience in a field that interested me
    Volunteer service

Cons

Living stipend was difficult to live on

9. AmeriCorps: Target Tigua

Former Contractor - CERT Outreach & Training Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Former Contractor - CERT Outreach & Training Specialist in El Paso, TX

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great training opportunities, excellent work environment.

Cons

I don't have any Cons regarding this experience.

Not a bad way to spend a year or two

Former Employee - Education Team Member in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Education Team Member in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, meaningful work

This position included full medical insurance (I can't remember if dental and eye was included). I was placed in an elementary school where I worked as a teaching assistant during the school day and then administered the after-school enrichment program, which consisted of 1 hour of homework followed by activities and athletics.

Cons

Stipend, no room for growth, long hours (8-6)

The stipend given bi-weekly was $1600/month. Post-tax I took home about $680 every 2 weeks. It's not much money, but I knew that going in. This is a 1 or 2-year gig where you'll need to find something else afterward. You don't need a college degree to be considered, so it's something you can do part-time while in school if that's what you're looking for.

11. Perfect Resume Builder

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

I had an awesome experience and gained some great contacts working with Americorps in Los Angeles. You truly feel like you're making an impact in the community.

Cons

The stipend is absolutely horrible so if you need help paying the bills this is not a good option. Additionally, the hour expectations balanced with a school schedule make it difficult to maintain another job.

I realize this is a government entity so it is impossible to gain too much more money, but if possible a stipend increase or additional benefits is needed to allow the students to survive.

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo