AmeriCorps

Updated September 29, 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • You get a lot of training that will prepare you for another non-profit or government job (in 23 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 16 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Alright experience depending on your host site

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Lansing, MI

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some really great pros to this job; The Educational award matching up to the Pell grant (pro-rated for half-time members), the experience you gain, the training, the networking, the loan forbearance, the face that your interest is paid by the CNCS, friendships gained, food assistance, insurance (albeit crappy). I have served at my host site for two years and love this program, especially the ability to serve low-income individuals. i would recommend this to any individual trying to gain more experience.

Cons

The mediocre living stipend is not enough to live on, you have to have another job to support yourself. You sometimes get into more debt than when you leave, you have to consider that. I don't know how VISTA members do it. The insurance is pretty crappy, given the fact that it does not comply with the ACA standards. Good job government, at not letting your OWN service members be wavered, but Peace Corps people who serve OUTSIDE the country be waived. Depending on the host site, a lot of demands can be placed on the member and agencies do not know what a member's role is at that specific agency. And it is extremely crappy that the Segal Educational Award is taxed.

Make the educational award un-taxed. Have better communication between the CNCS and other agencies.

Poor experience.

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Experience teaching. Do not pay student loans while working.

Cons

Horrible pay, must complete 1700 hours in a school year and can only gain hours within the school. Anything outside the school you do does not count towards your hours. A lot of work, and mandatory trainings for little reward. All of the mandatory orientations, meetings and trainings are all very, very unorganized. It takes forever to get any type of answers to questions you may have. And when you do get an answer they are often very vague and dont really answer your question.

Training sessions do not need to be as long as they are, orientation needs to be more well thought out with less "get to know you" games. And now with limited ways to gain hours, the total number of hours either need reduced, or volunteer hours should be allowed to be included like they once were.

Making a difference

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Definitely depends on the site and your fit with the site. If it's a good fit you will be making a meaningful difference in someone's life

Cons

Working with americorps state office is awful, very disconnected from your work at the site

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Experience

I worked at AmeriCorps as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Nice working with kids, colleagues were awesome

Cons

Limited professional development, limited time to complete assignments and check-ins

Work more closely with the interns to see where the program can improve

AmeriCorps allowed me to travel across the country for an assignment that enabled me to assist low income individuals.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

The experience was a true "eye opener". I witnessed a parallel economic universe in America. I grew up in the Boston area, so one of the most affluent regions not just in the USA, but the whole world. However, serving in rural America introduced me to debilitating poverty. It was frustrating to witness so many of my countrymen struggling. However, I was glad that I serve as an AmeriCorps for 2 years and work to alleviate poverty.

Cons

AmeriCorps assignments are a mixed bag. My assignment involved running a tax site, so I had to recruit volunteer tax preparers and write grants. So, the position was challenging and provided me with financial and people skills. However, I had friends in assignments in small non-profits, so they only had menial administrative tasks. Also, one friend worked at a small non-profit that ran out of money, so she lost her position.

Eliminate the tax on the education award. Also, please provide real health insurance and not the watered down plan that just covers ER visits.

It is a great experience for future careers

Current Employee - Literacy Coach  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Literacy Coach in Richmond, VA

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with children
    School holidays
    Only work during school year
    Academic Award

Cons

Not a lot of money due to being a stipend volunteer job

Once in a lifetime chance to change NCCC

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member  in  Perry Point, MD
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Perry Point, MD

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Gained lots of experience and leadership skills, room for personal growth, unlimited opportunity, satisfying work

Cons

No personal space, hard to get any time off (only a ten month program so not a huge deal), training doesn't prepare you for the work you actually do, pay could be a little better

NJ

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Great people great mission great environment

Cons

Compensation is not enough to live on

My Time as an AmeriCorps Member

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Serving your community
    - Doing necessary but hard work
    - Working with others who also wanted to make the community a better place
    - Education award

Cons

- The stipend is extremely small, so if you're working in a metro city like NYC, it may be difficult to find affordable housing

My time at AmeriCorps was really fulfilling, but if someone is solely doing the work for the education award, then you might not take as much from the experience because it is lots of work with little pay. I would suggest to management to increase the stipend for individuals living in cities with a higher cost of living.

Youth Coordinator

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Loved the team and interaction

Cons

Wish it was longer internship

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!