AmeriCorps

Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Your are connected with a lot of like minded people and can build relationships within the non-profit community (in 25 reviews)

• toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • living within the budget set by the living stipend (in 18 reviews)

• I was a member of AmeriCorps state through a very disorganized non-profit (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

The VISTA program is great in theory, and if executed correctly in site, could be a very rewarding experience...

Cons

...based on my experience at my site, I'm starting to doubt the practicality of the VISTA's theory of Capacity Building. Basically, I was treated like an intern who was there as free labor.

Mixed bag.

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was a job that I never felt morally conflicted about at least in regards to the overall goal of the organization. That's the primary perk of working under a nonprofit. At the end of the day, you can -independent of most other factors- be confident that you set out trying to make a difference. And for an entry level position, you are allowed a surprisingly large degree of latitude if you take initiative and play your cards right.

Cons

As an AmeriCorps volunteer, your pay ends up a little below minimum wage (not taking into account the Education Award you get at the end of your service) for the time you put in. It's not a salary but a living stipend.
    Seemingly arbitrary grant requirements, operating outside of the bounds of logic and reality, will often cause you frustration no matter your position. You work by the hour, trying to build up to a total of 1700 hours over the course of your term (10 months to a year typically) which can be daunting and a source of stress if you don't pace yourself.

Lots of work not a lot of pay

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Help people--lots of opportunities to work in different capacities.

Cons

Lots of work, not a lot of pay, not organized.

More organization!

Serving America

Current Employee - Corps Member in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps is part of a network of national service programs under the Corpo­ration for National Service and it is just one out of 600 programs in AmeriCorps. NCCC is a 10-month residential program for individuals between the ages of 18-24 years old. Members serve on teams of 10-11 at one of our four region campuses located in Denver, CO; Baltimore, MD; Sacramento, CA and Vinton, IA. Teams serve on projects that last from one day to nine weeks in the areas of energy conservation, environmental stewardship, urban & rural development, infrastructure improvement, and disaster relief. In exchange, members receive an education award, room & board, living allowance, medical insurance, uniforms, training, and transportation to and from the campus at the beginning and end of the year.

Cons

-Low pay in exchange for free travel, meals, housing, and transportation
    -Long and sometimes rigorous work days

An amazing experience

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Vicksburg, MS
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You get to see areas you normally would not get to go too. You get to see different landmarks and get to know local people. I had never been in the south before Americorps and now I want to move down there, everyone was so hospitable.

Cons

While most members of Americorps are outstanding, there are those select few who you would not expect to see in an organization meant to help others. In my year there were individuals who would steal anything they could get too, they would also take the TV cards out of any public TV so they would have free rain to watch what they wanted when they wanted. Stole food out of every teams fridge, and just left trash and debree wherever they went. Just vile people who cared only about themselves, and I have no idea why they joined Americorps with attitudes like that. Also when caught with stolen items the individuals were given 3 warning before termination. Americorps was way too lenient on them. Keep in mind though these were only 10 or 12 out of 200+ so did not ruin the amazing experience.

Good learning experience but lacks practical training.

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good volunteer/ job experience.

Cons

Isolated at point of service.

Better initial training.

AmeriCorps, and experience of a lifetime.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to do so many different things, from tutoring to building houses with Habitat for Humanity; the opportunities are endless in this position. Traveling with your team is also a major plus.

Cons

You a paid with a small living stipend, and receive a scholarship upon completion of your 900 hours

exceptional

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Experience and the ability to give back to the community

Cons

living within the budget set by the living stipend

AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Loved traveling around Montana to all the different workshops, meeting people, and the community outreach.

Cons

Low pay. But that wasn't even all that bad.

Your experience is what you make of it

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Making a difference in the Community you serve

Cons

Dealing with poor site supervisors

AmeriCorps Photos

Fire Team 10 Mural The Funky Bunch Commandos (Photo thanks to Flickr user sundaykofax, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo