AmeriGas Reviews

69 reviews filtered by
2.8
AmeriGas President & CEO Jerry E. Sheridan
Jerry E. Sheridan

Pros
  • Great people as far as peers and the next level of management up (in 4 reviews)

• The overtime hours, depending on the route, can be substantial and add a tidy sum to the paycheck (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, pay isn't that great and the "raise" they give you every year is a joke - 1-3%, yeah way to keep up with that cost of living (in 3 reviews)

• Work-life balance does not exist in this company (in 3 reviews)

1. In my opinion, very false about appreciating drivers.

Former Employee - Cylinder Exchange Driver in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Cylinder Exchange Driver in Greensboro, NC

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you rate a driver on talents and skills and the possibility of advancing into management, Metrolift is NOT the place to go.

Cons

I dedicated 5 years to this company, and ever since Amerigas "merged" wit heritage Propane in January 2013, I feel it's been a downhill battle. You don't get to be the largest by being dependent of your employees. You find ways to cut back to keep the income flow in the company and not share with the employees. I did a lot more than deliver. I did my own paperwork processing, uploading and downloading in my computer at home after hours, was always there for out of gas calls in the middle of the night, etc. All I got was terminated for a camera issue that costs nearly 900 dollars and an additional 500 dollars to maintain per year. I just wished the upper management, and I don't mean my district manager, would ride with a driver like I offered for a few days to get the feel of what one of their drivers really go through

Appreciate your drivers properly. Leave your office and ride with a diver for a day and see your responses a little differently. 8 hours in an office is a big difference than doing 20 plus route stops per day.

Worst company ever worked for

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Local Truck Driver

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have had\ too many jobs in my life. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for, bar none. From the top management on down, there is little regard for the safety of the employees, little regard for the needs of the customers. The top management have never driven a truck or dragged a hose in all kinds of weather. You are a statistic. College grads with far too little practical experience judge you and set the criteria. DO NOT EVER ACCEPT A JOB WITH THIS COMPANY. And this is the best I can say.

Cons

Read everything in the pros and multiply it ten fold and you have the cons in this company. I am embarrassed to be the face of such incompetence and lack of caring for the customer. I will be leaving as soon as I have fou nd the right job for me. If you are desperate for a job, don't work here. Collect food stamps, go on welfare. Just don't accept this torture.

Spend one month with a driver in February in a truck pulling a hose and doing all the manual labor. Work all of the hours required of the drivers including over the DOT limit. When that driver is on call at night, go with him and do all the labor. If you are still with the company at the end of that month, start basing your decisions on your experience and not your feeble education.

3. Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No good reason to work at Amerigas unless you like to be put down on daily basis just because you refuse to kiss butt.

Cons

Managements main concern is money. They love to humiliate and threaten good employees with termination.

Stop what you are doing or the walls will hit you when they come tumbling down!

So much has changed

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good front line workers. There is a dedicated group of folks that work very hard to help customers. They are out in the field, at customer's homes and working on the phone to ensure the highest quality of customer service.

Cons

The ones that do the most work get the least pay. Front line workers are not given the kind of training they need to take customer service to the next level.
    You have to be very careful what you say and who you say it to. Voicing an opinion will get you fired.
    People are afraid to speak up.
    Good employees are leaving. Anyone with prospects is leaving to find a better place to work. The result is what is left are employees that have no place else to go, no one else wants them.
    Micro management like I have never seen before. People are afraid to take initiative because it might be viewed as trying to over step bounds. The motto is "It's your ship" but the reality is, it is only your ship when there are problems, otherwise, the ship belongs to those above you and if you want to stay employed, you need to do what you are told.

Please pay attention to how many really good people have left. It isn't just the folks that have thrown up their hands in frustration, but those that were let go. Your VP's and Area Directors need more training in how to handle employees. Your VP's and AD's need to be held accountable for turn over of AD's and DM's. We used to hold SSM's responsible for turnover of drivers. Why don't we do the same for those higher up that are either driving people away, or are terminating people that question process or ask for help.

not the greatest

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Temecula, CA

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

cant think of one good thing to work there the only thing would be is if its the only comapny hireing

Cons

over worked underpaid, management very poorly, no growth opportunity.

Education in What Not to do

Current Employee - Manager in Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to come up with anything constructive to say here, AmeriGas is a dysfunctional mess that gets worse and worse each day. On the average day in Valley Forge, I contemplate playing in traffic about a dozen times just to end the shame and embarrassment of associating myself with this disaster.

Cons

- Compensation is about 30 - 40% less for most professional jobs than other companies in the area. If you don't believe me, ask a former AmeriGas employee at Airgas or Arkema (aka the AmeriGas alumni associations). A lot of open positions are being filled by temps who have no clue about our industry, which just accelerates the dysfunction.

- Customers hate us. Our prices are higher than competitors, and we charge delivery fees just to show up at your house to pump propane that's overpriced to begin with.

- Our business model revolves around acquisitions so that we can buy customers faster than we lose them. For example, we might lose 1,000 customers in an average month, but if we buy a company with 1,200 customers in the same month, we are a success. WTF doesn't even begin to describe this!!

- Jerry Sheridan fosters a culture that is akin to a political minefield. Good ideas are usually passed over if they involve terms such as "investment" aka spending money, or anything along those lines. Just ask the special projects senior director that just walked out without even giving 2 weeks notice. He came up with good ideas, but the investment parts were stripped out and he got blamed when they didn't work. again, WTF!!!

Need to do some soul searching before the whole thing comes crashing down.

Pass on it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location. Nice facilities. Good people at the lower levels. Opportunity to add content to your CV.

Cons

Political swampland. Need to keep you head on a swivel at all times. Interrelationship between groups is highly dysfunctional, however leadership turns a blind eye to the reality of the situation. Don't get comfortable; you might not see it coming.

Could not possibly hope to add anything that they should not already be aware of.

Work you like a dog.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a job with a paycheck

Cons

Management is clueless, and needs to be replaced.

Leave the company. Only one of you has any idea what you are doing

Not Great

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time

Pros

For right now, I would say job stability

Cons

Unless you are well connected, you will not get ahead...... Management does not care about employees or their opinions

Listen to your workers......

11. District Management need to know how to treat employees

Former Employee - Operations in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Operations in Miami, FL

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for office and field worker

Cons

Branch managers have very little regard for employees, more concerned about gross revenue . Cannot keep customers they have , falsify info to new customers, just to get first load of gas

Get your heads out of your ass