AmeriHealth Caritas

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael A. Rashid

Great opportunity to help the underprivileged, very disheartening to find out that you really can't.

Operations- Member Services (Former Employee) Phila, PA

Pros-Amazing benefits (Dental/Vision/Medical)
    -Humble company mission (though it's just a statement and not really followed)
    -If you have the patience (and thick skin), its a great opportunity to help educate members about their own benefits (help people keep better care of their health).
    -At times, it can be a relaxed atmosphere.
    -Fairly extensive training (decent 5 week class)

Cons-Depending on where you live and schedule, distance can be cumbersome (even for native Philadelphians)
    -Hours are dependent on a "shift bid", which is a 'polite' way of putting preferred associates on better shifts while newer associates or associates that keep to themselves 'happen' to always earn later shifts.
    -Not enough 'do'- if a new strategy is being implemented, you spend 3 months talking about it in meetings, and zero time training or introducing the strategy into every day work. You just get 'thrown in the ring' one day.
    - Poor office culture- it's a great company that is a leader in Medicaid HMOs, but also fosters this "everyone is equal" attitude. Not everyone is equal because everyone is not qualified to do the same thing. For example, there are associates who have a tenuous grasp of proper English at best. But these people are set as leaders and have people with college degrees working under them. It is cringe worthy to hear someone speaking to providers and clients in fluent slang and Ebonics.
    -Any move that is considered promotional is really lateral.
    -Management is not very knowledgeable. Sometimes, basic associates garner reputations for being knowledgeable 'go to' people, but get penalized for it. Management creates guidelines, but don't have an experience or understanding in dealing with members.
    -HR's idea of problem solving is "hug it out" unless you are on a personally friendly with them.
    - Input is basically mandatory, but virtually unread.
    -Always scheduling issues- they are very strict on scheduling issues unless it pertains to a favored associate.
    -Learning about other department's procedures is discouraged and even punishable- except when it suits the management. Example: Call center reps are penalized for attempting to learn about and help billing dept's inquiries and issues....until the billing dept has a hiring shortage and out of the blue one day the call center's queues double because they are forced to work half of the billing dept's issues.
    -Also, call center reps keep getting more and more duties that pertain to other departments, but are still held to a lower call time standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can hire people who are actually qualified, instead of hiring for quotas, then most problems would fix themselves. As it stands, promotion is based on length of time in the company and not actual achievements and experience.

I think this company is well on its way to becoming one of the leading Medicaid companies in the country.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosexpanding nationally, continuous growth opportunities, hires from within, good benefits, Great office location,

Consnot up to date with systems, not enough streamline processes, has a "this how we have always done it" mentality. supervisors have a lot of work to do and prohibits them from spending quality time with staff for development, needs a mentor program.

Advice to Senior ManagementJacksonville has a great Director. Overall I would advise management across the enterprise to remember the frontline staff and supervisors and seek their input before making decisions.

The best managed care company to work for

ProsQuality of management, benefits, company growth

ConsNot enough promotions from within

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring qualified people to match the positions. Managers should also continue to recognize good work. Employees appreciate it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AmeriHealth Caritas has changed it the past three years.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsCoworkers are extremely helpful and appreciative.

ConsIt went from company who listens to employees and caring company to a heartless management who is condescending and refuses to listen to employee suggestions. Management does not reward their good employees. 401K is average; Retirement pension is awful.

In the past few months, many senior management has left including the CEO. Best guess is Independence Blue Cross is looking to manage the corporation as they are a leading stockholder.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your directors and see how well they are liked. Do a 360 review and see how dedicated they employees are to their managers. Most have will do no more than needed because of the way management treats them.

Great Company

ProsI have been in the industry for over 27 years and I can tell you its is one of the best companies I have worked for. We have a great benefits plan, the company works to promote employees to move to the next level and provide great incentives

ConsThere are no cons I can think of at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Stressful work environment

Technology Lead (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsCan't think of any other than location to the Airport

ConsManagement does not embrace the company core values - they don't value their human capital - not this applies to the area in which I worked (Information Systems) they would rather lie than tell and or embrace the truth, no integrity, no honor.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of current dishonest managers and hire a more high performing - honest IT managers

Great Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule, Able to work in the community

ConsLack of company culture and shaky management

Mean, nasty people. The person who trained me obviously has a miserable life. She was a witch!!

Concurrent Review (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsThere were no pros of working at this company...NONE, NADA, ZERO!! The only pro was at 4:30 when I left for the day.

ConsExtreme pressure, nasty people, management has no idea what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school and learn how to treat people and how to manage.

Flexible work schedule with a price

Claims Examiner (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFlexible work schedule
    Potential for community involvement

ConsUnable to sustain a standard quality of life on salary paid

Great enterprise mission, but no local executive leadership to accomplish vision in Louisiana.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsHigh level of autonomy in management positions. Outstanding benefits package. Potential for career advancement due to nationwide growth.

ConsAll managers are allowed to operate autonomously, which would be fantastic if they all performed adequately. Local executive management fosters an environment of no individual / departmental accountability and flat out refuses to clarify roles and responsibilities, thus creating ample opportunity for slackers to shirk their duties. Low employee morale due to lack of executive leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at local executives to evaluate if you have the right people in place to lead the company in the right direction. Seek feedback from local leadership AND front-line associates on the office climate for a real eye opener. Stop the practice of transplanting low performers from other offices for management positions when there are fully qualified and capable employees who have been committed to working here from the beginning. Be proactive in creating accountability and improving morale before there is a mass exodus.

Worked for AmeriHealth Caritas? Contribute to the Community!