AmeriPath Reviews

Joan E. Miller

1. Medical transcription

Former Employee - Medical Transcription in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Medical Transcription in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AmeriPath (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salaries, great work hours. Able to work at home. Technological advances are impressive. Considerate when family issues arise.

Cons

Micromanagement is excessive. Management always trying to replace humans with machines. Moral Is low on site and on the labs, the atmosphere is oppressive.

Advice to Management

Lighten up

Account Executive

I have been working at AmeriPath full-time

Pros

Clients are easy to take care of in pathology. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Pay is lower than other labs. Pathology reimbursement is lowering and Quest Diagnostics is running this business like a Pharma company. Doesn't understand the first thing about producing real sales results vs Salesforce metrics.

Watch your back!

I have been working at AmeriPath

Pros

Good benefits, able to work with without management breathing down our necks.

Cons

Unless you are part of the "in-crowd" life is made very difficult for you here. I just saw one of the best supervisors we've ever had walked out a few days ago because she was fired for just trying to do her job. She really cared about her staff and would do anything to help any of us, even if it meant she got behind in her own work. She wouldn't take part in the office politics or favoritism that goes on around this place every single day so she was bullied by some of her staff and treated horribly by her supervisor, who happens to be the manager of the entire lab. Her supervisor apparently finally found a way to get rid of her. She had told me multiple times that she felt she was going to be fired because he was mad her constantly and very demeaning to her for not babying his favorites and for following company policies, but she felt helpless because no one in HR or upper management would believe or help her because her supervisor has been with the company for over 20 years and was an expert at twisting the facts to suit his needs, which in this case was to get her fired. I thought she was being a little paranoid because she was so good at her job and other members of her staff, including me, were very happy to have her as our supervisor and think the world of her. I think the way she was treated while she was here and the fact that she was fired is just awful. We just lost the best supervisor we have ever had, all because she didn't play games and took her job very seriously.

Advice to Management

Upper management outside of our office needs to take a long hard look at the way our office is run, especially the management at our facility. The favoritism and politics have gotten out of control, which is why we just lost one of the best supervisors we've ever had. They also need to put a stop to the way that certain employees who have been here a long time that are allowed to do whatever they want, including bullying whoever they don't like at the time like they did my supervisor.

Former Territory Manager

I worked at AmeriPath

Pros

The Sales Force, the people i worked with were second to none! I loved all my fellow teammates. Really can't stress it enough

Cons

The Senior Leadership. Fortunately they are gone, but the damage they left behind was unrepairable. Truly the worst corporate leadership I have ever been exposed too. Sexism, favoritism, vindictiveness. It truly was toxic leadership.

Advice to Management

I cannot speak for the current leadership. They came in after my departure.

6. This was a nice experience my time here.

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Clearwater, FL

I worked at AmeriPath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Night time hours was a work on your on your own pace and leave when the job done I liked the people overall and it was a friendly lovely place to work and be all night

Cons

None everything was good except hours

Advice to Management

None

The corporatization of medicine

Current Employee - Pathologist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pathologist in New York, NY

I have been working at AmeriPath full-time

Pros

Presently the largest presence in dermatopathology, so good exposure to the standard practice of dermatopathology. Beyond that, few benefits.

Cons

The company cares solely for profit. Patients and employees are a commodity. The entire thrust is to do more work for less money while creating the veneer of quality. The senior physicians and management care about nothing beyond themselves. For instance, their most benevolent sounding program -- fellowships for the training of future dermatopathologists -- is maintained primarily to provide cheap labor to staff their microscopes. By creating so many fellowships they have flood the market with young and lackluster dermatopathologists. Those who did well from Ameripath are the pathologists who sold to it and the venture capitalists who backed it. Beyond that, Ameripath and then Quest has helped destroy a lovely subspecialty of medicine.

Advice to Management

Go sell widgets and leave medicine.

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Billing Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Billing Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at AmeriPath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At least its a job, and you will receive a pay check.

Cons

It's a "go no where" type of job.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees, and their feedback. You could have bright stars working under you do not dull their shine to save your own.

9. Great group of individuals; team atmosphere; great processs

I have been working at AmeriPath

Pros

Great knowledge share among Departments

Cons

Quest umbrella caps on salary not competitive

Ironically, not a healthy work environment.

Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AmeriPath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I started 5 years ago, it was an ideal job. The schedule was super flexible, the managers were personable, understanding...as soon as we started "aligning" ourselves with Quest, they brought in very "corporate" managers who micromanage like crazy. The medical benefits are really good, but with healthcare reform, as everywhere else, is getting expensive.

Cons

We must now meet an hourly production quota and the attendance policy is very confusing but strict. We are not allowed to take off during the last week and a half of the month. I personally feel as if I'm constantly being watched and not allowed to make small talk with co-workers. Our managers have printed and posted our schedules on our cubicles and are required to put up a sign if we are on break or lunch. I have actually had nightmares of my manager coming to me at my desk and telling me I need to get to work.

Advice to Management

A once a year half-day of "appreciation" is nice and all, but I might as well be working if I have to stay on site in order to be paid. It is nice to be able to talk to my co-workers without feeling like I'm going to get fired.

11. Interesting Industry

I worked at AmeriPath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great intentions in regard to patient care. Many quality co-workers.

Cons

Personal career path opportunities were not extensive enough.

Advice to Management

This feedback applies to just about any company. Focus on employee and leadership development, as it drives business. Always provide direct and constructive feedback. Invest the time needed to communicate the vision, don't expect people know or should know.

RSS Feed </> Embed