AmeriPath Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014

2.8

Joan E. Miller

This was a nice experience my time here.

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk  in  Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Clearwater, FL

I worked at AmeriPath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Night time hours was a work on your on your own pace and leave when the job done I liked the people overall and it was a friendly lovely place to work and be all night

Cons

None everything was good except hours

None

I wish I knew what I was getting myself into when I accepted this position.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at AmeriPath full-time

Pros

Great health benefits, retirement, etc. A laid-back work environment for the most part.

Cons

Upper management is extremely inconsistent, keeps middle management in the dark with regard to where our particular facility is heading which, doesn't look good from the way things have been heading lately. Entirely too much favoritism of certain long term staff members who pretty much get to pick and choose which parts of their job descriptions they do or not, and get away with doing the bare minimum amount of work to get by while the rest of us try to pick up their slack and still do our own jobs, which is a joke!

Pay more attention to the dedicated, experienced leaders you have and let them actually DO their jobs instead of interfering if one of your pet employees doesn't get their way with anything and everything they want and come running to you for help. Be more communicative with your supervisory staff - you put your faith in them by hiring them for a reason, so let them do their jobs and stay out of their way so they can do it.. Since upper management is looking so closely at our facility with regard to overtime, finances, etc., start making much needed drastic changes now by getting rid of the staff members who waste time sitting around reading the paper, surfing the Internet, talking or texting on the phone all day, and gathering in each other's offices socializing while the ones of us who are seriously committed to this company's success are busting our butts day in and day out to do the very best job we can.

The corporatization of medicine

Current Employee - Pathologist  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pathologist in New York, NY

I have been working at AmeriPath full-time

Pros

Presently the largest presence in dermatopathology, so good exposure to the standard practice of dermatopathology. Beyond that, few benefits.

Cons

The company cares solely for profit. Patients and employees are a commodity. The entire thrust is to do more work for less money while creating the veneer of quality. The senior physicians and management care about nothing beyond themselves. For instance, their most benevolent sounding program -- fellowships for the training of future dermatopathologists -- is maintained primarily to provide cheap labor to staff their microscopes. By creating so many fellowships they have flood the market with young and lackluster dermatopathologists. Those who did well from Ameripath are the pathologists who sold to it and the venture capitalists who backed it. Beyond that, Ameripath and then Quest has helped destroy a lovely subspecialty of medicine.

Go sell widgets and leave medicine.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Billing Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Billing Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at AmeriPath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At least its a job, and you will receive a pay check.

Cons

It's a "go no where" type of job.

Pay more attention to your employees, and their feedback. You could have bright stars working under you do not dull their shine to save your own.

Great group of individuals; team atmosphere; great processs

I have been working at AmeriPath

Pros

Great knowledge share among Departments

Cons

Quest umbrella caps on salary not competitive

Ironically, not a healthy work environment.

Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AmeriPath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I started 5 years ago, it was an ideal job. The schedule was super flexible, the managers were personable, understanding...as soon as we started "aligning" ourselves with Quest, they brought in very "corporate" managers who micromanage like crazy.
    The medical benefits are really good, but with healthcare reform, as everywhere else, is getting expensive.

Cons

We must now meet an hourly production quota and the attendance policy is very confusing but strict. We are not allowed to take off during the last week and a half of the month. I personally feel as if I'm constantly being watched and not allowed to make small talk with co-workers. Our managers have printed and posted our schedules on our cubicles and are required to put up a sign if we are on break or lunch. I have actually had nightmares of my manager coming to me at my desk and telling me I need to get to work.

A once a year half-day of "appreciation" is nice and all, but I might as well be working if I have to stay on site in order to be paid. It is nice to be able to talk to my co-workers without feeling like I'm going to get fired.

Interesting Industry

I worked at AmeriPath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great intentions in regard to patient care. Many quality co-workers.

Cons

Personal career path opportunities were not extensive enough.

This feedback applies to just about any company. Focus on employee and leadership development, as it drives business. Always provide direct and constructive feedback. Invest the time needed to communicate the vision, don't expect people know or should know.

Fulfilling work experience in a very high-paced environment

I have been working at AmeriPath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits, good people

Cons

AmeriPath is owned by Quest Diagnostics

Great People, Great Place to work

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Port Chester, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Port Chester, NY

I worked at AmeriPath full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly, Customer driver, Passion for Patients

Cons

Merger with Quest Diagnostics was not a good transition, Dermpath Diagnostics has lots its edge in the market place.

Separate yourself from Quest and go back to driving your own brand.

No growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at AmeriPath full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees in the lab are hardworking and very fun to work with.

Cons

The management should be replaced with actual people who have had some type of laboratory experience. They seem to be out of the loop when it comes to scientific matters and more concerned about nitpicking. The benefits aren't that great when it comes to obtaining prescriptions. No room for growth.

Learn what your employees actually do and what laboratory work actually is.

Worked for AmeriPath? Contribute to the Community!