America Chung Nam Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
25 reviews filtered by
1.8
Yan Cheung

Terribly managed company that doesn't recognize talent when they have it

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice colleagues and job wasn't that hard. Never really worked overtime as I was able to finish the work on time. Good work life balance.

Cons

Where to start because there are so many?
    1. No job growth prospects. Promotions are all based on if you are friends or family of managers or owners regardless if you know the content or not. Not merit based or how many years you have been at the job. Managers hold onto any mistakes you make and use it against you as a way to not promote you even if it has been years since it happened.
    2. Having a tardy policy. Are you kidding me with this? Are we back in school or something? People have responsibilities outside of work that may cause them to be 5-10 minutes late. As long as you get your job done it shouldn't matter if you are late or not. Saw so many colleagues running upstairs to clock in because they didn't want to be late. It's a funny sight when you see business professionals running in work clothes because they are 1 minute late. Can't get it out of my mind.
    3. Terrible management. Management thinks they are the smartest and greatest people in the world. Even when they make a mistake, they put it on the staff because according to them, they are perfect and don't make mistakes.
    4. No internet use. This isn't a real deal breaker, but completely restricting the internet is childish. There is no way an employee can be working all 8 hours every single day.
    5. Requirement to attend annual party. If you don't want to go due to some personal reason, you have to get APPROVAL.
    Everything about this company is about controlling its employees and treating people like kids.
    If you aren't related somehow to the managers or owners, this company will anger you as they don't appreciate your contributions.

Recognize talent and try and reward competent employees. Heard management had to hire an additional employee to replace my contributions. Would have cost them less than 2 people's salaries. Get rid of the stiff work rules so people can enjoy coming to work that way they'll perform even better. Management should take ownership of mistakes and stop blaming others because that will only cause resentment in employees. I'd only recommend this company if you don't care to get yelled at or if you don't want to advance your career anymore.

I applied for Internal Auditor, but end up being a truck bill checker.

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Walnut, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Walnut, CA

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time

Pros

Nice office. Nice co-workers who are friendly and informative

Cons

Not really audit work per se. Checking bills every day. I seemed revert back to an accounting clerk of an accounting department. HR department classified me as some sort of audit specialist even though I know from professional classification that I am only an audit junior. I learned from co-workers this is a trick to avoid paying overtime. It is illegal but company just keeps on doing it, not fearing Labor department audit. Company asked me to guarantee I don’t quit when they need me to go on business trips. This is their business need but they put the cost burden of air ticket and lodging on me. If I quit after a business trip, I need to pay them the air tickets and lodging. It is ridiculous

Give auditors real audit duties, and classify staffs correctly and legally. Otherwise, you will never get talent staffs. Quality people lured in by HR will find out what the realities are in the audit department, and end up quitting

Company with high potentials but lead by wrong people

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Clean environment with decent pay with good health benefits.
    Potential for growth and friendly staff

Cons

1. Upper management does not provide clear guidance nor training but expects you to know everything and do everything exactly the way they pictured it in their "heads". If it is wrong, you get criticized and blamed.
    2. A lot of blaming in this company
    3. Too many useless meetings that takes hours and won't let employees OT after and gives them a hard time about not finishing work on time.
    4. Although they claim to follow labor law, employees sometimes cannot take lunch until after 3PM and only a 10 min lunch.

Start training and stop blaming! Your employees are a reflection of who you are. There is a reason why people keep leaving your company.

Mar 31, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly appreciate your input, and we will share your comments with our management team.

In response to your comments, we would like to address several points
    ... More

Sweatshop full of office politics. Incompetent senior and middle management. Favoritism. Blame game. Low morale.

Former Employee - Booking Specialist in Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Booking Specialist in Industry, CA

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good location. Nice coworkers. Good office environment.

Cons

Horrible senior management. Office culture is terrible because of failure of senior management. They only know how to blame people. Close door meetings with senior management screening and yelling at participants for more than two hours. Middle management don't know what to do exact blaming other departments for their incompetence. Managers get promoted because they know how to make senior management happy by flattering senior management. Company keeps squeezing staffs by cutting staff benefits and illegally withholding overtime payment. Company says that you are a specialist and give you a $100 raise so as to classify you as exempt from overtime payment. This way they can save $1000 per month by not paying you your entitled overtime salary. What a shame for such a big company to do something so illegal.

Just keeping doing things illegally. Your capable staffs will all leave. Only incompetent people will remain.

Cutting benefits for employees, but senior management driving luxury cars

Former Employee - Resigned Employee
    Former Employee - Resigned Employee

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WIDE ARRAY OF TOP OF THE LINE LUXURY EUROPEAN CARS FROM GERMANY AND BRITAIN IN RESERVED PARKING SPACE

Cons

Increase staff medical copay from $20 to $50. Increase staff dental copay from $20 to $50. Employees pay $60 MORE for nothing.

Thx-giving and Xmas luncheon serving really bad food more worst than those for homeless people. Powder and tap water mixed drinks taste worst than sea water. Saving pennies, but staff walk out of luncheons with hunger and anger.

Classify all emplyees as exempt to avoid paying overtime money. Many staff resigned and left.

Cancel luncheons if don't want to spend money to show staff appreciation. Invite HR lawyers who know how to classify employees to audit jobs. The company is walking on fire now by misclassifying staff to not paying overtime

Mar 31, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your input. I would like to clarify several points that are not accurate in your comments.

1. We offer a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life
    ... More

This company don't pay overtime and don't care about employees.

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Industry, CA

I worked at America Chung Nam

Pros

Cannot think of any! Maybe the rest rooms are clean.

Cons

Company work you like slaves with long hours and no overtime pay. You are not entitled to the 10-minutes breaks even though you work more than 10 hours a day. HR classify every one as exempt employees so that you are not entitled to over time pay. Senior management yell at you whenever something go wrong. Most managers are incompetent and provide no training. People pointing finger is daily activities. Company events serve food that are worse than those served by churches to homeless people. Useless meetings and protocols wasting time.

Respect your staff as human beings, not slaves. If you do not pay overtime, let you staffs leave at 6 o'clock. Classify all your employees as exempt is illegal.

Mar 31, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

First and foremost, as an Account Coordinator, you are a non-exempt employee, and your position is overtime eligible. You are also entitled to your 10-minute breaks in

Wrong managers

I have been working at America Chung Nam full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is the perfect place to work if you are Chinese, use to work long hours for marginal pay, enjoy no recognition and play finger pointing !!!

Cons

-Culture is very Chinese and 1-sided, a lot of them speak broken English
    -Don't know how to manage, nor understand Western business practices
    -Extremely political with back stabbing, circumnavigating rank protocol
    -Unprofessional and disrespectful communication style that highlights immature management practices

Your managers are all frogs live down in a well where there was all they have to live.

Horrible company - DONT WALK, RUN !!!!!

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good location and that's it

Cons

-Stupid and incompetent managers, the only reason why the company turnover is so high because of a lot of yelling and finger pointing.
    -The managers took all the credits from their staff's work.
    -Stupid management don't even read or speak proper English. Everything needs to be translated to SIMPLIFIED CHINESE.
    -No one goes to lunch until 2pm everyday
    -No one goes home at 6pm, we are all sitting there and pretend very busy
    -Everyone needs to clock in and out for day in/out and lunch but do not pay overtime legally.
    -No one speaks English in the office, welcome to Mainland China
    - A lot of useless meetings without agendas

Your company need to fire all the incompetent managers !!! Stop doing something stupid to push all talented people go away

Favoritism, Finger Pointing, Heavy Work Load, Don't Pay Over time

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice office and some nice people

Cons

No training from managers. The managers are all incompetent. You get promoted only because you know how to make boss happy such as bring her good food from home. Boss like to yell at the staffs, so the staffs are scared. They point fingers at other because they fear of punishment from boss. You could work 14 hours a days but get no over time pay because HR said you are exempt employee by faking up some job descrptions. The whole company are made up of Chinese who don't speak English. Can't find one black guy from over 200 employees!

Fire all the managers and hire some good people who know how to run business

Horrible Workload. No sense of belongings. Finger pointing.

I worked at America Chung Nam full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is hard to think of any.

Cons

Competent people left company before finishing their anniversary. People staying are those who have no skill to go anywhere else. Company tend to hire only Chinese, especially Chinese who speak broken English. You cannot find any one single African American in the company although they have 200 staffs here. You are blamed for being late for two minutes although you work 12 hours a day without lunch break. They classify you as exempt although you are only a clerical person. Not sure whether they ever get into trouble for not paying overtime. Every department is blaming the other because senior management like to scapegoat and yell at employees.

Respect your hardworking staff. Pay overtime legally.

America Chung Nam Photos