America First Credit Union

Add Photos

John Lund

Low pay, Good people

Teller (Current Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsReally good working team, everyone moves around a lot since you always have a chance to advance to a different level. More than likely thats at a different branch. A lot of things to remember, even though you're sitting most of the time. Your brain is working double time trying to keep everything in line. Overall a good experience, but the pay is way too low for a career.

ConsSuper LOW pay. starting, after advancement's your make a respectable wage, but nothing major. Its just a nice job for anyone that doesn't want to work retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training on forms and different procedures. Perhaps have help desk or training center help tellers when leads and mangers are busy with other members. Our members do not like to wait around for 30-45 mins for a supervisor to decide to reply to an approval, they seem to be a little frustrated.

The Peter Principle

ProsWork-life balance is good when you are in a lower position (Teller, Back-Up Lead, Loan-Originator).

ConsPeople are promoted to highest level of incompetance. Do not value good employees or help them to progress.

Good company, little pay

Consumer Loan Originator (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat company culture and fun employees when you have a good team

ConsLITTLE PAY, crazy manager that drives us to do too much

Advice to Senior Managementpay us more and maybe there wouldn't be so much turnover

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work while attending school, not a place for a career.

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment and people, decent benefits. Take care of employees, limited in salary.

ConsPay was limiting, could have been better compensation, especially for the high performers. Politics play a huge rule in positions, never is the best candidate chosen for the job.

Loan Offcier

Loan Officer (Current Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsTHe people I work with

ConsHorrible pay. Employee moral is low. One bad negates 10 goods.

Great Secure Job

Mortgage Consumer Loan Officer/Lead Teller (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsSecure job. I loved helping people. Great training! Excellent company culture of honesty to its members (customers).

ConsLower salary. Tough to get increases in Ogden.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk where your employees want to be and don't forget it!

Great!

Teller (Former Employee) West Valley City, UT

ProsThey are mindful of their employees. Got all of the time off I requested. Expected a lot of me, but not too much. I loved the quarterly review system. Great management.

ConsCompensation was low, even for me speaking Spanish. Sometimes I felt underutilized. It was hard to have to work on Saturday.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know the pay structure is at where it is supposed to be, but it is hard when you have the right people, but can't pay them what they deserve.

If you enjoy being harassed, work here!

Loan Officer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsPeople here are LDS enough that they will still be super nice to your face when they hate you and talk about you all the time behind your back. No wait, that's not a pro. Just kidding.

ConsI sent in four complaints to the human resources department about how other employees were stalking and harassing me. I didn't receive any sort of response. Another employee tried to fight me in the parking lot of the branch I worked at. After I told my manager, I was told it would be taken care and my safety was a priority. Ahahhahahaha. What a joke. Nobody took care of it. I got harassed for a year and a half. The only reason I stayed at this godforsaken place was because I was dating my boss AND it was easy to do homework while at work. When I left, I submitted an "exit questionnaire" explaining my frustration to hr about how my situation was handled. Still no response.

Advice to Senior ManagementCongrats AFCU, you're getting sued for harassment and a hostile work environment! All of which could have been avoided by your human resources people doing their job.

good company, not good pay

Teller (Current Employee) Taylorsville, UT

Prosreally care about their employees. Really good at training. lots of job opportunities.

Consso many employees its hard to get promoted. Pay is a lot lower at this company than others.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider raising what people are getting paid. For being such a large company, employees sure don't make a lot. Its really hard to provide for a family working here.

Kudos for focus on training, but shame for poor pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining is important to America First, and honestly, the training provided is better than at other organizations. Health benefits were good.

ConsThe pay is TERRIBLE. They pay everyone the same, including top performers. Oftentimes, they underpaid based on their own minimums and/or industry standards. Smaller credit unions pay better than AFCU. They are the "big dog" in the Utah credit union scene, but pay like puppies. They have the ability to pay higher wages, but choose not to.

Each manager promotes on different criteria-no consistency among the hiring managers. They promote favorites, not hard-workers lesser knowns.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay your employees more. They deserve it.

Worked for America First Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!