America First Credit Union

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.1

John Lund

Great place to work for college students

Current Employee - Teller  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Teller in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at America First Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work overall, good supervisors and good co-workers. Great ethics and culture. Flexible work schedule for college students and others. There are some incentives to motivate cross-selling things, but not many. Insurance can be paid provided if full-time, with extra benefits kicking in after one year on job. Also, there are bonuses every 6 months, based on performance.

Cons

Low pay, more pressure to cross sell products especially in grocery store branches with minimal incentives. First raise comes after about 6 months, and even that isn't much.

Competitive pay

Meh.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at America First Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working here is educational. Convenient for students with difficult schedules. It has turned into a business that is more concerned with the bottom line than with people helping people.

Cons

Executive Management does not value its employees. They are simply a means to an end, and they have no loyalty to new, or long time employees. Monetary compensation is much too low for what is expected of employees.

Need to realize that employees are the face of the credit union. Take care of them. Members feel loyalty to your people, not your company.

Pretty Alright

Current Employee - Teller  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Teller in Ogden, UT

I have been working at America First Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Convenient- there's a lot of locations so it's easy to find a local branch
    Experience- learning a lot about banking all day, every day
    Moving up- there's many opportunities to advance within the company

Cons

Overworked- management/schedule creators work you to your max (for me, anyway)
    Time off? HA- they'll straight up tell you "no" when asking for time off. Even if it's just a half-day.
    Saturdays- New employees work every. single. saturday. Long time employees get every Saturday off
    LONG shifts- there's very rarely morning or afternoon or evening shifts. Expect to work open to close every shift.
    Training is long, dragged-out and fairly useless.

As a 30-hour employee, I've been scheduled to work 39.25 hours/ week. After what I thought was a good talk with my manager, my hours were at a comfortable 32 hours for one week and the next week they were back up to 39 and have remained. I'm BURNED OUT to say the absolute least and I'm currently looking for another bank to work at.

Please, management, meet with employees regularly. Be open to suggestions. PLEASE figure out branch budgeting so we can have more employees and those employees can work their correct hours!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great working environment, but where's the raises?

Current Employee - Indirect Loan Officer  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Indirect Loan Officer in Ogden, UT

I have been working at America First Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, great management in my department, always a fun environment to work in with a lot of great people. Able to listen to music while working. Good benefits and retirement plan.

Cons

Mangement positions are very political. If you want to kiss some other managers butt you can move up, otherwise get comfortable with your current position. Pay is very low for financial industry. Raises are barely enough to cover the rising cost of insurance.

Very willing to work with scheduling help with schooling, but lack in trainning and increasing employees job knowledge.

Current Employee - Loan Officer  in  Riverdale, UT
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Riverdale, UT

I have been working at America First Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Schedules always willing to work with you on schedules . If I need time off for was always approved if I had a family emergency or last minute travel plans. Always was able to get shift times I need so I could still go to school.

Cons

Trainnings were like getting hosed down with a fire hose. Lots of information all at once usually on different subjects or areas then left to figure it out with trial and error. Leave a lot of miscommunication among credit union members.

Unless you have a kind of personal relationship with managment promotions are few and far between. Seen lots of favoritism and a point of ignorance with want is happening with their lower employees. Unless you are a favorite or underperforming there is little to no interaction with management.

Great company but low pay

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at America First Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great trainings, good environment for learning, flexible schedules.

Cons

Low pay for the tasks completed and compared to other financial institutions in the area.

I believe that pay increases would decrease turnover rates and AFCU would retain more valuable employees.

The Peter Principle

I have been working at America First Credit Union

Pros

Work-life balance is good when you are in a lower position (Teller, Back-Up Lead, Loan-Originator).

Cons

People are promoted to highest level of incompetance. Do not value good employees or help them to progress.

Low pay, Good people

Current Employee - Teller  in  Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Teller in Sandy, UT

Pros

Really good working team, everyone moves around a lot since you always have a chance to advance to a different level. More than likely thats at a different branch. A lot of things to remember, even though you're sitting most of the time. Your brain is working double time trying to keep everything in line. Overall a good experience, but the pay is way too low for a career.

Cons

Super LOW pay. starting, after advancement's your make a respectable wage, but nothing major. Its just a nice job for anyone that doesn't want to work retail.

Better training on forms and different procedures. Perhaps have help desk or training center help tellers when leads and mangers are busy with other members. Our members do not like to wait around for 30-45 mins for a supervisor to decide to reply to an approval, they seem to be a little frustrated.

Good company, little pay

Current Employee - Consumer Loan Originator  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Consumer Loan Originator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at America First Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great company culture and fun employees when you have a good team

Cons

LITTLE PAY, crazy manager that drives us to do too much

pay us more and maybe there wouldn't be so much turnover

Great place to work while attending school, not a place for a career.

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at America First Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great environment and people, decent benefits. Take care of employees, limited in salary.

Cons

Pay was limiting, could have been better compensation, especially for the high performers. Politics play a huge rule in positions, never is the best candidate chosen for the job.

Worked for America First Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!