America's Car-Mart

Add Photos

America's Car-Mart Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Hank Henderson

Hank Henderson

good chance for growth

Office Manager (Former Employee)

Prosgrowing company, good chance for growth and advancement, good people to work for and with for the most part

Consmedical benifits aren't great; pay could and should be better

Advice to Senior Managementimprove the medical beneifts; pay better (most of the employees are underpaid while management is the place to make money)

Some good, some bad.

Account Representative (Former Employee)
    Claremore, OK

ProsThe GM is the best reason. He will bend over backward for you in most situations. Most of the other people there are great to work with and you get to build relationships with the customer base unlike most places. The hours are decent.

ConsThere are certain people within this lot that are very inconsiderate of others and think way to highly of themselves. Asking for a day off can become a fight and while the GM is understanding, the assistant manager shames you for needing time off for anything. The pay is poor. I have never worked so hard in my life and I am paid less than half of the average for the industry my position is in. The bonuses are impossible to achieve. I had an issue that had to go up to HR and was treated like I was unimportant and the person who was harassing me got less than a slap on the wrist. The corporate office people refuse to talk to anyone below management level about anything and you are treated like a nobody. The assistant manager threatens you with your review or calling the operations manager on you and acts like he's the only one who does anything even though he does nothing and there are only 3 people there that actually do their work. The dress code is just flat out stupid and mildly sexist and the company is stuck in the past in regards to tattoos and piercings. They won't hire you with any body art showing however if the managers have favorites they get away with it. You are told not to dress too nicely because you might intimate people then you are told you can't wear "normal" clothing. This would be a great place to work if it wasn't for the assistant manager, dress code, pay, and corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay, make the bonuses more attainable, take complaints more seriously.

Great as long you want to work constantly and not have a family life.

ProsCar Mart has a great reputation in the buy here pay here business. If you are serious about management and don't have a college degree the mit program is for you.

ConsAfter becoming a member of management, be prepared for working more than 40 hours a week -closer to 60. Pay is ok, but not comparable to the amount of work, time and dedication required. Benefits are ok but the major medical insurance is outrageous. Good bonus program but nearly unattainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe world does not revolve around car mart. We have lives and families to attend to. Get your hr representation in check. They are not in charge of the lots, the general managers are.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If it's not the main income of your family, it's not a bad place to work.

Office Clerk (Former Employee)
    Claremore, OK

ProsI really enjoyed my coworkers and customers. The Claremore lot is very laid back and the GM is a wonderful person and a great boss. When you work there, you are part of a family.

ConsPay is low, turnover is high, and benefits are not great. The corporate office is in control of the pay rates and they simply are not high enough. The corporate office also has a script you are supposed to follow when in sales that makes you seem sleazy and inauthentic.

Advice to Senior ManagementRAISE PAY. You are losing good people because of low pay, and everyone in the company knows it, especially HR.

Good people - Growing Company

ProsCasual Dress Code. You get to wear jeans everyday. Company is growing by opening 1 new for every 10 existing locations per year. Very flat organizational structure.

ConsPaid holidays are scarce. You only get New Year's Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Days as paid holidays, and only when they fall on a normal workday. If they happen to fall on the weekend, you don't get another day off like most organizations offer. Benefits are standard or just average.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual performance and salary reviews are needed.

The worse place for a manager in training

Manager In Training (Former Employee)
    Muskogee, OK

ProsNothing, no growth, development or change

ConsPoor leadership, no direction, racist, irrational decisions and direction

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over

been there done that :)

Detailer (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

Prosthey are good people

Consyou would have to work for them and make up your mind . Thank you

Set down and hang on.

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Paragould, AR

ProsMoney potential in excess of $100,000 a year. Autonomy.
    You get to deal with good folks. High level of accountability.

ConsAutonomy. You also get to deal bad folks. High level of accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementGround level problems GM's run into are poorly handled up the chain.

Not worth the time

MIT (Current Employee)

ProsYou get to meet a lot of people.

ConsLong hours, never able to meet goals. Your never going to be able to have a life. Don't report any major issues they will label you as a problem no matter how serious the violation is.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the current times. Get out of the 80's.

Work hard then they dont pay what you are owed

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Nacogdoches, TX

Prosfun, nice at first, clean facility as long as you clean it! free popped corn... BEWARE!!!!

Conssales people are taken away from sales to do other things that the porters should do. the commission pay is a complete joke!

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your sales people! pay then for what they sold. Then when you ask about it they pass you around to people that do not answer the phone and if they do they dont answer your questions! then they hang up on you!!! I know it happened to me. I am going to have to get a lawyer just to get what is actually owed to me!

Worked for America's Car-Mart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at America's Car-Mart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for America's Car-Mart CEO Hank Henderson. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by America's Car-Mart employees.