America's Health Insurance Plans

Updated December 5, 2014
1.7

Karen Ignagni

A place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager for CDC Contracts and Grants in Washington, DC

I worked at America's Health Insurance Plans full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to learn a wealth of information for the 10 years I was there.

Cons

Not much to say here, I really enjoyed my time at the company. Maybe just that at times the environment is too familial and the professional line is crossed by a few employees.

Plenty of room for improving employee retention

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at America's Health Insurance Plans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Monetary benefits are competitive
    - Good place to learn about insurance world; a career builder
    - Work is interesting and meaningful
    - Passionate and intelligent work environment

Cons

- Top-down management approach makes it impossible to foster mentorship or collaborate with supervisors
    - Inflexible work schedule (no telework; forced 1-hour lunch; 9-hour workday every day)
    - Lack of and unwillingness to work with you on anything that can make work-life easier (e.g. denies leave requests because "reasons are not good enough")
    - Stiff work environment; too serious
    - High employee turnover

There's plenty of room for building an environment that retains good employees. Reward good work, and do not promote people based off of tenure, but rather, performance. Create an evaluation system that has a 360 view - supervisors should be assessed by their subordinates in addition to their peers. Make work hours at least a little more flexible (have the hour lunch be optional).

Stay away!

I worked at America's Health Insurance Plans

Pros

Excellent Salary and hr department has your back

Cons

Work here if you want to "barked" at for nothing day in and day out. Not a friendly environment and position titles are misleading.

No telecommuting

I worked at America's Health Insurance Plans

Pros

Good salary, benefits, and work environment

Cons

Too far from my home

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at America's Health Insurance Plans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any other than they host some very helpful conferences.

Cons

Bad bad culture - closed doors, everybody is on edge. People who are promoted shouldn't be promoted and those who have talent aren't appreciated.

Take a closer look at what's happening and how you are wasting money by hiring the wrong people.

Stay Far Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at America's Health Insurance Plans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free coffee in the lunch rooms.

Cons

Absolutely too serious of a culture. Management is dumb-founded. My supervisor was so much of a micro-manager, she had no clue what I was capable of doing for her. I simply played along.

Pay more attention to the value in people you have on your staff. Sort out the lazy ones, provide more management tools and guidance, don't let a few people rule the entire place.

No Follow Up After Two Interviews

I have been working at America's Health Insurance Plans full-time

Pros

Staff was pleasant, office is nice.

Cons

I am so dissapointed in the lack of professionalism this company displayed after I had two interviews for an entry-level position. I felt like the interviews went really well and after emailing the hiring manager and HR twice I never received a response regarding my status as a candidate or if the job was still in fact open.

Please understand that job-seekers jump through hoops not only during the application process but actually taking the time out of their day to travel in some cases and interview. I am currently in a temporary position and I took two half days off - I will not get that money back. I paid 25 dollars for valet parking - I will not get that money back. I understand if someone was better suited for the position but at least have the courtesy to get back to me.

After companies such as this one display a degree of utter disrespect such as this one I feel relieved that the opportunity did not in fact work out.

Very serious place with a mixed bag of benefits.

I have been working at America's Health Insurance Plans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty flexible on time off.
    Good location.
    Good Benefits.
    Decent Salaries.
    Some really great staff.
    Good place to move around in departments and sometimes move up.

Cons

HR has not clue what they're doing and are very untrustworthy. Salaries are decent. If you come from political background, you'll do well, but probably only last 3 years before heading to a better salary elsewhere.

Those who get promoted are often incompetent and steer departments in the wrong direction.

No company culture. Not much of a "let's be friends" scene. Very serious environment. HR tries to do some events, but fail every time. For many years, the holiday party was from 3-5 on a random weekday in the office with food catered. It was AWFUL.

Be more transparent about plans. Ask for opinions. Be more democratic. You're not all CEOs or have that type of experience so don't act like you know what's best in every situation, especially if you're not the one doing the work. Don't overburden staff.

My guess is that satisfaction varies across the organization

Current Employee - Executive Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at America's Health Insurance Plans

Pros

Very good benefits.
    Very competent and personable CEO who is cognizant of and recogizes staff contributions.
    It is a significant player in health policy and is directly involved in many key areas of its development.
    Very nice physical surroundings.
    Small gym available in the same building.
    Across the street from a metro stop.

Cons

Management is variable. I was uncomfortable.

Can't generalize to all managers, speaking only from one perspective....
    Delegate more.
    Resist the urge to control staff interactions with others inside the organization or outside.
    Don't get too hung up over/obsess with details that do not merit significant attention.
    Accept the occasional foible.

I would not encourage a friend to work at America's Health Insurance Plans. Poor management.

I worked at America's Health Insurance Plans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits but do not penalize staff for wanting to or having used use their annual leave, sick leave. Standardize policy on comp time.

Cons

Keep politics and personal biases out of managing. Staff is afraid to speak up against unfair and unprofessional practies.

Keep politics and personal biases out of managing. Staff is afraid to speak up against unfair practices and unprofessional behavior.