America's Home Place

Updated March 8, 2015
11 reviews filtered by
2.7
Barry G. Conner

1. Loved working at The Home Place--my last year was longer ago than I was allowed to select

Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at America's Home Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a building consultant in a good market, you can do relatively well financially. However, the pay per unit is nowhere near what many other national builders pay. I was treated like a rock star by regional management, until the economy started to falter. So I left. And in the end, so did he. Otherwise, good people and a sincere desire to treat people by the Golden Rule. Barry means well and he's a good man...he can't be everything to everybody in a day. Beautiful model homes. Good product in my region.

Cons

I see on many of these reviews, that their are too many chiefs. I can see that things haven't changed. I'm unsure if AHP still does this, but when I was with the company, there was always some new "program" that upper management had drank the Kool-Aid and believed in: a book, a training program, some guru, etc. I used to call it the "management style of the year." To succeed in sales with AHP, it is best to just ignore that mess and keep concentrating on SELLING! I feel that the construction supers were often "used up" by upper management in busy offices. I also feel that production employees were often envious of sales incomes.

Advice to Management

Update the platform on the construction side to free superintendents up to do their jobs. Pay for sales team should be better vs other builders. I know what your profit margins were.....salespeople should be paid at least what a real estate agent would make to represent a buyer's side of a deal!!

2. Great people, great company

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at America's Home Place

Pros

Great people, great company that provided me with a good opportunity when I was younger

Cons

we never could get the right salesperson in Conway, SC

3. I worked at America's Home Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment with tools to make you successful. Learning the most innovative ways to sell custom homes in a depleting sector of the industry.(Scatter Lot Building).

Cons

Discussing cons about company is difficult. The company gave me all of what I needed to achieve maximum results. I chose to leave because of declining sales during harsh times of building homes .

Advice to Management

Great job on coaching and teaching the right things keep up good work.

5. It was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Office Secretary
    Former Employee - Office Secretary

I worked at America's Home Place

Pros

It's fun to be a part of building a home for a family .

Cons

There are not many job titles so it's very difficult to move up in a branch office, maybe at the corporate office it would be easier.

Advice to Management

There is only one person that I have dealt with personally that needs help in leading a team, there is a fine line between being a leader and being rude to your employees.

6. Standing Behind Your Word

I worked at America's Home Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my experience working here. I am a well-educated, highly motivated individual who puts forth 1005 effort in any job I do.

Cons

I found that management did not always do what was promised for either the customer or the employee. Most people are reasonable and understand situations arise; especially in the ever volatile economic environment of the past few years. If you are in the middle of a promise between management and a customer, you can not always be responsible for the outcome.

Advice to Management

Always do what you commit yourself to. If that isn't possible, let your customer or your employee know as soon as you know that what you promised is not available. Do not let people "think" one thing while you deliberately know that something else is about to occur. It just simple common courtesy, do the right thing.

Ok place to start career

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at America's Home Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, decent enough benefits

Cons

To many chiefs, not enough warriors

8. Who's on first?

I worked at America's Home Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

overtime was encouraged...most of the time. Co workers were good people, really good people, everyone was very helpful.

Cons

too many meetings,& production reports, that resulted in less time to do your job..overlapping of tasks, spent too much work time doing checks and balances that others were doing already and weren't specific to my job. job description was ever changing. Cross training to the extreme, and inefficient. The owner was not sensitive to family time, often engaging workers with a task near the end of the day that would carry over way after normal business hours.

Advice to Management

use an employees strengths, quit changing the game and moving players around as experiments in productivity. Let managers manage, auditors audit, drafters draft, and estimators estimate, etc.....

9. OK Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at America's Home Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were great. The office was very nice, supplies were maintained and it was a very clean environment. We always had Sundays off. If the right Superintendents are in place, they build a good house for the cost.

Cons

Benefits were horrible, personal growth was minimal, work schedule left little time for family. Pay was less than other area builders. Had multiple people at corporate with the same responsibility which made getting something accomplished take entirely too long. Offices have little to no freedom in Marketing or ads. No direct deposit offered.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to trust your employees at the retail locations and provide more recognition. We always heard about the parties and events going on at Corporate but our Model Center never had any kind of event or recognition. Step up your benefit package, if you are going to offer meager medical at least compensate with more time off. Listen to what the Model Centers have to say about their Market.

10. Long hours and full commisioned job.

Current Employee - Building Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Building Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at America's Home Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was good when construction was booming

Cons

Long hours and full commission.

Advice to Management

more work life balance needed.

11. Something to do

I worked at America's Home Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get paid on time.

Cons

There is a lack of leadership, no way to move up in the company, no future.

Advice to Management

Let go of the reins, allow some freedom to work. The paperwork bottleneck is unbelievable.