American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Joshua J Jacobs, MD

Room to grow at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Editorial Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

ProsTeamwork and communication are emphasized on all levels of management. The AAOS has good benefits--continuing education is supported financially. Professional development is encouraged through many different programs, including an in-house mentor program. The organization will pay for college course work up to $5,000 a year. Seminars and professional development courses are also covered 100%. Management encourages feedback in many ways including the annual performance reviews, workgroups on performance recognition, and the "green" initiatives.

ConsAAOS is a non-profit organization. Compensation can be low, but the benefits help compensate for the lack of pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

If you like to be in a military-like. then this will be a good place!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Rosemont, IL

I worked at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons full-time for more than a year

ProsFixable schedule. Good start-up salary. Good pension.

ConsPolitics: this company has a lot of politics.
The supervisors try their best not to document any decision they make. Not even that, they try their best to not leave trace of their words. No written requirements for your task, not clear even when it is oral. Most of the time you can't voice your opinion, they want you to be a follower, no creativity. Most, if not always, we do our projects in a very tight dead-lines and managers decide to do wrong things because of that!
Some managers gives orders as they are in a military, many times i felt i am just a solider.
No space to grow.
It takes years and years to get promotion, i would say 5 years average.
Respectfulness environment where supervisors insult\yield at their people.
Two creative people that i know have been fired because they were refused to do wrong things and they didn't follow orders (don't confuse orders with instructions, instructions should be followed. I meant by orders is military-like orders.).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, don't yield at your people. Be responsible about your decisions. Welcome the other opinion and discuss it at least.
HR, please give better training courses to your managers teaching them basics of managing people.

Great organization overall, but toxicity exists

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Rosemont, IL

I worked at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons full-time for less than a year

Pros--Challenging, intellectually fulfilling work
--Decent pay and excellent benefits
--Smart, dedicated employees who share a passion for excellence

ConsMy experience at AAOS was anomalous. While the organization itself is well-managed and functions superbly on a macrocosmic level, I had the misfortune of being employed in a unit whose manager governs her employees through irrationality and fear. In an effort to successfully navigate the situation while preserving my mental equanimity, I read several resources on coping with a toxic manager, and I attempted to implement a variety of recommended strategies for dealing with a bully in the workplace. Ultimately, I consulted with the human resources managers for practical advice.

The simple reality of the situation was that the manager to whom I reported had been employed with AAOS for more than two decades, and she was protected by the unquestioning support of her own manager. By comparison, I was a newbie to the organization, and there was little that HR could do to help me satisfactorily resolve the problem. Although my brief career with AAOS was intellectually gratifying, at the end of the day my mental health was more important.

It’s a shame: had I worked for a manager who possesses the repertoire of skills and the emotional constitution necessary to successfully manage others, I undoubtedly would still be with AAOS.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that appearances are deceptive. The manner in which a lower- or mid-level manager conducts herself in one context may differ dramatically from her behavior in another context.

Ok

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

ProsFlexible Schedule allows much freedom.

ConsNo room for advancement. Sub-par pay and raises are far and few between.

Lots of dedicated people

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

ProsGreat benefits, great leadership, and friednly people to work with

Consnot-for-profit organization being run like a for-profit

Worked for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons CEO Joshua J Jacobs, MD. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons employees.