American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

1 Rating

Good experience

Current Employee - Employee  in  Rosemont, IL
    Current Employee - Employee in Rosemont, IL

Pros

Super hard working doctor members

Cons

None that Ican think of.

Hard to work at a place where you feel bullied every day

Pros

It was a decent place to work. I thought the salary was fair and the benefits were reasonable. The work environment is pleasant, and I got to know many of the employees well.

Cons

I honestly felt abused by my manager who treated me in a condescending and often offensive manner, in spite of the fact that her direct manager and the director of HR was fully aware of the way she treated me. It is not fun to go to a job where you feel you have no value--either as an employee or a human being. I would only recommend this place to a friend who was in dire need of a job.

Think you need to re-evaluate your revolving door. This used to be a fun, safe place to work. Now it has a reputation as a revolving door. Way too many people are fired, and what management doesn't understand or care about is that those firings reflect badly on management.

If you like to be in a military-like. then this will be a good place!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

Pros

Fixable schedule. Good start-up salary. Good pension.

Cons

Politics: this company has a lot of politics.
    The supervisors try their best not to document any decision they make. Not even that, they try their best to not leave trace of their words. No written requirements for your task, not clear even when it is oral. Most of the time you can't voice your opinion, they want you to be a follower, no creativity. Most, if not always, we do our projects in a very tight dead-lines and managers decide to do wrong things because of that!
    Some managers gives orders as they are in a military, many times i felt i am just a solider.
    No space to grow.
    It takes years and years to get promotion, i would say 5 years average.
    Respectfulness environment where supervisors insult\yield at their people.
    Two creative people that i know have been fired because they were refused to do wrong things and they didn't follow orders (don't confuse orders with instructions, instructions should be followed. I meant by orders is military-like orders.).

Please, don't yield at your people. Be responsible about your decisions. Welcome the other opinion and discuss it at least.
    HR, please give better training courses to your managers teaching them basics of managing people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization overall, but toxicity exists

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

Pros

--Challenging, intellectually fulfilling work
    --Decent pay and excellent benefits
    --Smart, dedicated employees who share a passion for excellence

Cons

My experience at AAOS was anomalous. While the organization itself is well-managed and functions superbly on a macrocosmic level, I had the misfortune of being employed in a unit whose manager governs her employees through irrationality and fear. In an effort to successfully navigate the situation while preserving my mental equanimity, I read several resources on coping with a toxic manager, and I attempted to implement a variety of recommended strategies for dealing with a bully in the workplace. Ultimately, I consulted with the human resources managers for practical advice.

The simple reality of the situation was that the manager to whom I reported had been employed with AAOS for more than two decades, and she was protected by the unquestioning support of her own manager. By comparison, I was a newbie to the organization, and there was little that HR could do to help me satisfactorily resolve the problem. Although my brief career with AAOS was intellectually gratifying, at the end of the day my mental health was more important.

It’s a shame: had I worked for a manager who possesses the repertoire of skills and the emotional constitution necessary to successfully manage others, I undoubtedly would still be with AAOS.

Remember that appearances are deceptive. The manner in which a lower- or mid-level manager conducts herself in one context may differ dramatically from her behavior in another context.

Room to grow at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant

Pros

Teamwork and communication are emphasized on all levels of management. The AAOS has good benefits--continuing education is supported financially. Professional development is encouraged through many different programs, including an in-house mentor program. The organization will pay for college course work up to $5,000 a year. Seminars and professional development courses are also covered 100%. Management encourages feedback in many ways including the annual performance reviews, workgroups on performance recognition, and the "green" initiatives.

Cons

AAOS is a non-profit organization. Compensation can be low, but the benefits help compensate for the lack of pay.

Keep up the good work!

Ok

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

Flexible Schedule allows much freedom.

Cons

No room for advancement. Sub-par pay and raises are far and few between.

Lots of dedicated people

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Great benefits, great leadership, and friednly people to work with

Cons

not-for-profit organization being run like a for-profit

Worked for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons? Contribute to the Community!