American Academy of Physician Assistants

Jennifer L. Dorn

Management

Former Employee - Management in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Academy of Physician Assistants (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were great but a little costly in your pay

Cons

Most of the Senior Management need to step back and look around and Thank those that do the work.

Advice to Management

Go back to the beginning and hire staff that really care aout the future of your employees and their future and not just the future of AAPA

turn around disruption contributes to a dysfunctional and misalignment of priorities

I have been working at American Academy of Physician Assistants

Pros

Physician Assistants are AWESOME. Have never had the privilege of working for such a passionate and optimistic profession The healthcare industry is going through some radical changes....and we have the opportunity to be a part of this history.

Cons

CEO is strange. Disruptive in a non-productive way. However, definitely better than the previous administration.

Advice to Management

Focus on what you were hired to do....strategy, staff development and empowerment, problem resolution, and growth. Empower and trust you direct reports. Otherwise, fire them.

The definition of insanity...

I have been working at American Academy of Physician Assistants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The profession is growing by leaps and bounds, so the Academy has a chance to stay relevant even if nothing improves.

Cons

The definition of insanity is repeating the same process and expecting different results. The academy leadership continues to change priorities on whims, question expertise of staff, ignore staff complaints, limit advancement within the organization, and are then frustrated with mediocre results and growth, and unhappy staff.
    Staff, in turn, continue to voice concerns with poor management through an annual climate survey, department heads who are focused on appeasing the CEO and her consultant team, limited advancement opportunities and ever-increasing workloads to department heads who do not listen or care.
    Also, the annual performance review process is a strange weighted scale that truly denies staff advancement and works hard to keep salaries low compared to similar associations. Annual merit increases and bonuses, if there are any, have changed frequently with no staff notice.

Advice to Management

The CEO, department heads and leaders need to get out of the weeds. It's okay if you're not an expert on absolutely everything going on in the academy, because that's why you hired talented staff. Focus on managing them to achieve goals.

No work life balance. All work. No time for life.

I have been working at American Academy of Physician Assistants

Pros

Lower level staff are friendly, hard working and genuinely concerned about supporting a great profession and each other.

Cons

Demoralizing atmosphere where quality work is never enough. Do more=get more expected of you to the point of dysfunction. No leadership to prioritize staff and time allocation. Outdated or absent technology to meet impossible demands. Abrasive and unprofessional senior leaders with internal political and personal agendas.

Advice to Management

I have learned to be too efficient to waste my time offering help to those who remain indignant to the talent available to them.

My only hope is that the members and leaders of this organization read this page

I have been working at American Academy of Physician Assistants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Profession is still small enough that you really get to know the people you work for and for the most part they are a great profession to work for. Leave time is very generous if you ever have a chance to take it. Benefits are lukewarm--vision and dental not great and health plan is increasingly not competitive. Most of the staff that you will encounter are some of the best people you could ever work for. There is a gallows humor among the lower-level staff, and the spirit that we are all in this together.

Cons

Upper management are cruel. That's the best way I can put it. They do not listen, as is evidenced by reactions from them when the annual "climate survey" is done. Reactions such as "I'm not changing" when confronted with very specific accounts of upper management on staff abuse. I've never seen so many grown women cry at their desks. People are physically burned out from their jobs because there is a nonstop, relentless amount of work. Most of upper management are older and don't have young families, so holidays, special occasions and other non-work related obligations must be abandoned in favor of work, work, work. There is always a budget crisis, and salaries and merit increases are calculated based on a strange algorithm that changes from year to year. Board of directors only seems interested in seeing their name in the paper and being talking heads on the news, so most of your work is directed at making sure they have what they need. Meanwhile, what you were actually hired to do gets shoved aside to deal with the crisis du jour. Most of the rank and file membership feel free to snark and abuse the organization on social media, so the other chunk of your time is spent putting out those fires. All in all, its sort of depressing. You will be told that it's "disruptive innovation" or whatever the latest corporate business buzzword, but the bottom line is that its FUBAR.

Advice to Management

Any advice here would be a waste of my time. They won't listen.

Machiavellian Intelligence and "Do as I say - Not as I do" Leadership Principles = Predictable Staff Satisfaction

I have been working at American Academy of Physician Assistants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The infectious staff commitment and love for Physician Assistants is something that will strike you the second you arrive. I have never worked for or with a more passionate group of professionals. I am constantly amazed at the lengths that they are willing to go service members often forced to overcome inadequate systems, organizational inefficiency, poor decision making, and no leadership accountability. Those fortunate enough to interact with members daily are privileged - they ROCK.

Cons

Aggressive unapologetic leadership who's natural propensity to agitation and anger creates countless situations where staff are forced to endure abuse in exchange for continued employment in an organization where advancement ultimately means departure (unless of course you worked with a senior leader in the past).

8. I really enjoyed working for AAPA

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Benefits were good, salary was surprisingly good, if you get to work the conferences, that is a great experience, too!

Cons

Upward mobility seemed like a bit of a challenge. Otherwise, it was great.

Slowly back away - turn - then RUN! (Seriously - Sprint)

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

Pros

+ Working for one of the best professions in Healthcare - Our Members make working here almost bearable.
    + Pay is not bad and benefits are fair.
    + Lives like an episode of the office - you will laugh (and maybe even cry) often.

Cons

+ ZERO SENIOR LEADERSHIP ACCOUNTABILITY
    + Org is led (and all critical decisions) are made by consultants NOT staff.
    + Budget crisis after crisis instills no confidence in Senior Leader planning capabilities.
    + Unreal turnover - cant print org charts fast enough to keep them up to date
    + Little to no career advancement opportunities and a toxic work environment make this a revolving door of great talent that takes the heat for leadership incompetence

Climate Survey = Joke!

Advice to Management

Time for a new calling?

I worked at the American Academy of Physician Assistants for about three years.

Former Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Academy of Physician Assistants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really good people who work at AAPA. My direct supervisor and closest colleagues are amazing people. Health care is a dynamic field and PAs are generally very good people and I learned a lot about the profession. Compensation is reasonable. The health insurance, vacation time, 401K and metro benefits are all positives. I believe that health care trade association experience always helps a resume, too. Colleagues from other departments genuinely wanted to help you do your job.

Cons

Most of these comments relate to top management. The decision-making process(es) were an enigma and seemed to be designed to shield top decision-makers from accountability. Priorities shifted frequently with little or no warning. The hiring of friends happened, but seems to have subsided. Turnover is an issue, too. You only have so much room to grow. Other issues of note: mediocre morale and perpetual uncertainly about one's job during budget season because the actual revenue numbers were always lower than expected.

Advice to Management

There is an annual staff survey. Staff comments are provided anonymously and with great candor, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Physician Assistants are fantastic to work with and for

I worked at American Academy of Physician Assistants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very nice staff to work with, those that understand that the PAs are important and not AAPA. Understand the PAs are who we work for to get their needs taken care of. Staff that understands that are those to succeed.

Cons

Too TOP HEAVY, lots of CHIEFS not enough Indians. Too many VP, Senior staff that don;t understand the importance of helping members, they only understand getting members in to pay dues and get NOTHING in return. Senior staff needs to understand the importance of the little things in life that make the members happy what makes AAPA happy nor what makes junior staff HAPPY.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your members and mostly your junior staff that does all the frunt work and don't get acknowledgement for what they do.

RSS Feed </> Embed