American Accessories International

Eric Zeanah

1. 25 Years!

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at American Accessories International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with AAI for going on 25 years. I am not a social media person. However when I learned of and read some of the information posted recently, I feel the need to respond. AAI is a very unique and special company. The basis of which is creativity. Take a group of extremely creative people, add a discipline such as engineering, toss on a client base of top tier global Fortune 25 companies, not to mention manufacturing and logistics done on several continents, with an incredible record of success, and you have AAI. Doesn’t sound easy, and it is not. Not meant for everyone either. Only those who enjoy excitement and success, and are not afraid to actually put themselves out there create a rewarding career. I have seen generations X, Y and Z, and a host of others all shapes, colors and sizes, pass through our doors over the years. Those who are able to take on the challenge and embrace the responsibility that goes along with it have found a home as well as a career. So I am not going to even dignify the” Ranters” with a response. If you are a paper shuffler, this is not for you. However, if you want to be a part of something special with a great future, AAI might be your place. One last Note: I noticed on all the posts I read, all say the compensation is a major pro. There is a reason for that, but you actually have to work for it.

Cons

Sometimes must respond unexpectedly to take advantage of opportunity. Not always convenient but necessary.

2. Exciting and Gratifying Place to Work

Current Employee - Marketing and Product Development in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at American Accessories International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reading some of the latest rants posted really upsets and offends me as a hard working member of the American Accessories team. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion on individual experiences, but taking shots at people that are very passionate about their job and the company they work for or have built is too extreme in my eyes. I am a well-educated woman that has been working in the manufacturing industry for going on 11 years now with the last 6 years at American Accessories… My experience and career have grown exponentially since joining the AAI team. I would like to take some time and explain how my experience has been the last six years and continues to be every day. I’m not the kind of person or personality to sit back and wait for people to tell me what to do… instead I have an aggressive work ethic and like to build my own success. This same mentality has led others to become very successful with the company and have led others to have a sour taste in their mouth. I entered AAI with knowledge in design and textiles in order to help build a marketing department. Never did I imagine six years later, that I would be standing and presenting in front of some of the largest companies in the world, leading meetings, and helping open doors of additional growth opportunities. I am proud to work for a company that is uniquely different and diversified. What American Accessories accomplishes in one day for a client takes others weeks to do. I’m not stating this solely as my belief but as true statements directly from our customers. Hearing comments from your customers about the satisfaction your company brings them in creativity, turn-around time, quality, and overall performance is rewarding. I find the comment or perception that we lie to clients very ironic, seeing how our clients look to us as their partner rather than their supplier based on trust and knowledge. Our clients are currently wanting to grow their business with AAI over others which wouldn’t be happening in my opinion if we lied to them. I am a passionate individual who loves her job and finds American Accessories an exciting and gratifying place to work.

Cons

Keeping client relationships and holding top positions against competitors does make for extreme challenges, long hours and dedication. Long hours and dedication are not meant for everyone. Expectations are set very high from day one because our clients expect no less. Some people thrive in a very fast paced, aggressive, ever changing… and yes sometimes stressful environment… and some people just don’t. AAI’s business is growing and flexibility and adaptation is needed to support our clients. This can result in spontaneous and sometimes lengthy travel due to project or client need, but if you have the desire for an opportunity to lead and carry a role of ownership and responsibility in moving projects and solutions forward to success, these opportunities are exciting rather than burdens. Since we are an international company, it is not always an 8:30am-5:30pm kind of day. Success does mean sacrifice at times, but individuals have to figure out for themselves what that means and how that will work for them.

3. Great Experience

I have been working at American Accessories International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am currently employed by American Accessories International and have been for the past 3 years. I have worked with most of the departments here at AAI. I have read some of the reviews on here and must admit that I am highly offended at some of these “rants” (which is exactly what the writer calls it). And let me address the fact that I was not requested to post this nor pressured in any way, but as a current employee, a woman of minority, and mother I feel it is my obligation to address some of these false allegations of the company in which I am employed. First, to address the accusation that this is a racist company or that the owner himself is racist, this is false. As I stated earlier as a woman of minority, to think that I would tolerate any kind of bigotry or discrimination in the work force is absurd. I must also further mention that I am a graduate at the University Of Tennessee in which I owe gratitude to the CEO because he sent me back to school to finish my degree, with no commitment, attachments or contracts just out the pure kindness of his heart, which I do not think a racist man would do. Not to mention that our company is diversified, being that we are in fact a China company as well. Now to address the sexist comments… I will simply say that majority of the company’s employees are women and if there were in fact sexist issues, I don’t think our company would consist of majority women. Now to address one last accusation about the work ethics of the company. This is probably the only part of the glass door reviews that has some truth behind it. If you consider taking a position in this company, prepare to work hard, prepare to be challenged, and prepared to be dismissed if you think you cannot manage either of the two. We are a small company of 50 employees in both our US and China office; we cater and provide services to fortune 500 companies, and we are a very profitable company…..how can this be accomplished with anything but hard work? As a company we are faced with challenges everyday by our clients, and as a team we work together to overcome those challenges. I promise that if you consider a position here at our company and are willing to work hard and learn, you will not be disappointed with your decision. And as stated before…if this was such a horrible oppressing work place, I would think that there would be more than just a few bitter glass door comments on the internet.

Cons

As stated earlier, if you are not willing to work hard or expand your ability to learn than this is not the company for you.

Not worth it!!!

I worked at American Accessories International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like some of the other reviewers say, they do pay well for INTERNS and SALES people but do not pay others anywhere near their level such as tech support-IT, or graphics. Look forward to something different every day. Lovely area to work and live in.

Cons

Upper level management is practically non existent. Any time you need or want to talk to anyone, they are not there or busy. They expect you to dedicate 7 days a week to the company but yet dock you for time off when the COMPANY decides to shut down for any reason. They claim they have to prove you are valuable to the company before they can put you on salary but that is just a cop-out to make you work 60 hours a week with 40 hours of pay. The owner consistently bragged about his $2,000 ink pin during meetings but yet he can't maintain a decent work environment. They do not train their employees whatsoever. They expect the sales girls, I say this because all the sales people are attractive young women either in college or recently graduated, to acclimate to their bizarre work flow over night and never actually train them on what they are doing. If it weren't for the other girls there to help each other out, they would be lost. In my short time with this company, at least 3 people were either fired or walked out. The turn over rate is UNBELIEVABLE. The management claims that people who leave can't "handle the stress of the job," when in reality they can't handle the bs they have to put up with. They claim to be on the cutting edge of the industry but they can't even maintain working computers half the time. If it weren't for an outstanding IT person, their system wouldn't last a week. The sales girls are forced to work mainly on laptops so they can work from home after hours. This is not a company you want to work for. Words can not adequately describe how disappointed you will be after working here. Do not believe a word of any of the positive reviews you see here, they are written by upper level management to offset the negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Retire, hire new.

6. Unique, fast paced environment that offers growth and room for creativity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at American Accessories International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At American Accessories, you can define your own job description. I just started with the company in the spring, but already I've had the opportunity to manage functions across multiple departments. Not only are employees able to make autonomous decisions shortly after being hired, but we also get to communicate directly with the client and see the impact our work makes. The best part of this job is that it will never become tedious, because there are always new areas to explore. Several people have even found opportunities outside our normal scope of operation, turned them into accounts, and created entire departments around them. Finding management willing to put this much trust into their people is rare and I think it's one of our best traits as a company. Upper management makes it clear that they are genuinely interested in our career progress as individuals. The overall atmosphere is casual and energetic, especially since our recent growth has led us to hire many new employees from diverse backgrounds. Most here are very highly motivated and outgoing personalities, and the informal vibe allows you to learn much faster because everyone is open to help or answer questions. If you are one of those people that dreads monotonous jobs and is looking for a dynamic culture, this company will be a good fit.

Cons

Long and sometimes unpredictable hours, and currently growing so fast the support systems haven't caught up yet. The culture is built on people who are extremely self-motivated and don't like restrictions, which sometimes means it isn't a great fit for everyone who comes on board. Those who need more structure and are comfortable in a fixed daily routine have a really hard time fitting in.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on hiring the right kind of employees to fit our culture, and encourage more communication between new hires and multiple departments.

7. Dedication, Hard Work, and Flexibility Pay Off

Current Employee - Marketing and Product Development in Knoxville, TN

Pros

From day one you are given a tremendous amount of responsibility. This is very exciting and allows for you to feel like you make an impact quickly. With the large amount of responsibility, you learn at an accelerated rate. After a few months into my career, I was amazed by how much I had learned and progressed. As you work on programs, you become passionate about them because you want to see your design or idea succeed and go to the marketplace. Our clients' needs are ever-changing, thus creating a fast pace and exciting environment. Job satisfaction comes through the client challenges we solve and developing products that build, support, and strengthen our clients' businesses.

Cons

The ever-changing environment can be hectic at times. Long hours and dedication are required as the clients call for it. However, in order to see your program succeed the long hours and dedication are worth it. The lack of a rigorous training program allows for hands on teaching through real programs. However, you must be proactive and accept that mistakes are going to happen (but that is when you learn the most).

Advice to Management

Your knowledge and experiences are invaluable. Continue to support the younger generation that is coming on board as the company rapidly expands.

Do yourself a favor, and stay away...wish I had.

I worked at American Accessories International full-time

Pros

High compensation and opportunity for international business travel

Cons

Lack of systems support, training, professionalism, overall decency from sr. Management towards employees. Mostly young women are hired and I believe management tries to break you down for some reason. Overall lack of professionalism runs rampant. Some people may thrive in this culture but if you want a decent work/life balance and a little structure, this employer is not for you! The compensation is not worth what you deal with on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Actually care about employees instead of just saying you Make expectations clear instead of changing on a daily basis. Don't be bullies.

If you have an offer with any other company, take it.

I worked at American Accessories International full-time

Pros

At first, the casual atmosphere is appealing. You’ll learn a little about product development, marketing, importing, and how not to run a company.

Cons

The biggest con is the small management staff. They have a very long history together. It’s very clique-ish. If you do not quickly learn and adjust to their unprofessional, child-like company culture, then you are treated like an alien who just doesn’t “get it.” They carry themselves as if they are company owners. They can do and say anything to anyone (and they will). They know they will never be fired or reprimanded. All attempts to update or modernize the process are rejected. There is very little organization and no established procedures or priorities. That’s the way they like it. Since there is no formal training or leadership, it can be difficult to learn their so-called system on your own…especially when expectations change daily. Growth potential is limited by the company’s short-sightedness.

Advice to Management

Let go of the old and adopt a more sophisticated business environment.

10. Imagine, design, create, and sell... Opportunities are endless

Current Employee - Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Knoxville, TN

Pros

One of the few jobs I have had in which you are given full responsibility from design, to development, and into the final sell. You have the unique opportunity to see what you have done become an executed final product as well as see what that item was worth to the company. For me and others with the ability to present and create, travel opportunities are only limited by the clients you can bring to the table. From domestic to international you can really travel the world here if you put the work in.

Cons

The clients we work with demand a ton day in and day out. Expect to work long hours and some weekends when your program deadlines call for it. Many people just aren't cut out for the fast paced high demand life this job brings, which provides a tight knit family atmosphere for those who "get it", but sometimes an over stressful atmosphere for those that DON'T "get it."

Advice to Management

Keep working to find the right support for employees to make the daily work process as efficient as possible. Current atmosphere under the immediate company expansion is outstanding; please keep encouraging the current energy.

Great summer internship to get a lot of unique experiences.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Knoxville, TN

I worked at American Accessories International

Pros

If you work hard and show you care you will be given a lot of responsibility and great experiences!

Cons

Leadership was often confusing and expectations were not always clear.

RSS Feed </> Embed