American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 3, 2014

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker

Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving(in 133 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay(in 20 reviews)

• Finding a way to use the flight benefits as they really don't want you traveling or using your benefits(in 17 reviews)

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

International Gate Agent

International Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe flight benefits are great - unlimited (but stand-by). They promote from within and if you prove yourself, you will have the opportunities to move up the corporate ladder. Health benefits are good.

ConsPay is horrible. Many of us work overtime to make ends meat. Your just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees for good service. Appreciate your employees and show your appreciation. They work hard and deal with a lot of personalities on a daily basis.

I liked my co workers. Management not so much.

American Airlines Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI liked the people I would meet on the plane.

Conschanges that came with the new management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo D2r. Give people what they were promised!

some good people in a pool of cheats of epic porportions and full of deceptionists.

Ramp Agent (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosdiscounted flights and good discounts

Consbad punch clocks, bad and vague rules, favortistic leads, bad attendance system and a weak union at ord

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to hire with experience watch your crooked crew chiefs to promote unworthy people to crew chiefs cuz its their friends and a serious violation to rules

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flight Attendant

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTravel, flexible schedule, great experience

ConsStraight Reserve, pay, politics, uncertain future of company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEasy to move around the company if you put in the time.

Not an airline you would like to work for.

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTraveling benefits, medical and dental.

ConsNot a good company to work for. Supervisors always harass employees, even flight as a flight attendant. There is also too much of a division between employees. It actually feels as if they hate each other.

In the beginning was great!

In Flight (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou receive the same benefits as American Airlines. Great commuter policy.

ConsPoor management. Lack of competent leadership. Favoritism over good judgment. Company offered the ability to tailor schedule yet was denied for most transactions. Poor utilization of crew assignments. Aircraft fleet outdated and behind most other regionals of its size.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a level of trust with your employees .Foster a positive work environment.

Fast paced work environment

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe flight benefits are great. Your work schedule is flexible.

ConsSometimes your schedule will fall apart and you work very long days.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should get out there and work a few trips so they know whats going on in a flight attendants daily routine.

Love my job! Would love to see better moral within the work groups.

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible schedule. Good benefits. Feel fairly compensated for the job.

ConsMorale of workers is low due to uncertainty of job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forthcoming with information. Encourage and reward dependable and loyal employees more. Such as incentive for good attendance rather than punishment for calling in sick.

Probably the worst company to work for

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBeing underpaid, and overworked, the amount of nonsense that you have to put up with is amazing. This place is full of nothing but window washers trying to make it to the top of the managerial ladder, which they will never make.

ConsThe people that run the company are complete morons, the pay sucks, you're treated like an animal rather than a human and the management is terrible bumbling morons.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Line Captain

Pilot - Captain (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a tough career choice, but at Eagle, it's more of a job. Do your time, cover your ass and watch your back, trust no one in management, keep low profile. You will get paid, but make sure youre not shorted by overworked book keepers. I had more fun and enjoyment being a charter pilot back in the day. Steady work is good.

Conswork schedule quaility declining=less quality of life. No real management leadership from such a management heavy organization. Old style top-down management. You are a number, nothing more, nothing less. Your input doesn't matter, suggestions are not headed. Pay stagnant and benefit costs increasing. Paychecks need constant attention...so many contractual language issues that you can get the short end if you don't watch it. Very low overall moral. Many of us were recruited with promises of career progression, flowing into AA, but it hasn't really happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for all new blood, new way of doing things. When passengers/employees are not happy, you're just a declining decaying dinasour. Give employees the tools (working air-carts/GPU/jet-bridge/de-ice trucks. Enpower front-line personal to make a difference and a decicision instead of being scared to act so nothing gets done or fixed.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!