American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker

Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving(in 133 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay(in 20 reviews)

• Finding a way to use the flight benefits as they really don't want you traveling or using your benefits(in 17 reviews)

great

Prosgood salary and good atmosphere

Consgood training you can study more

Great learning and challenging work

Buyer (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsOpportunity to gain experience in various departments
    Responsibility for critical processes
    High visibility
    Great insurance coverage
    Great travel benefits

ConsLong time to reach decisions
    Lots of iterations on presentations
    Pay lower than market

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management now - making difficult culture adjustments

Kind employees but managers have a bottom-line mentality.

Domestic Reservations Agent (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsTraining was fun and exciting. The benefits were wonderful. The trainers are incredibly supportive.

ConsGetting the shifts you want/need was impossible because of seniority. Once out of training, my manager was less than nurturing, thinking of her bottom line rather than care and compassion of customers and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the success of other companies that put customers and employees first. Nordstrom. Geico. These companies flourish, while yours is not doing well at all.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An overall great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfun and friendly office culture.

ConsCompensation may not be equivalent to the work being performed.

Director

Director of Sales Support (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFast pace and no 2 days are the same

ConsSr mgmt and poor service delivery

Advice to Senior Managementimprove the culture

It was a great company, filled with great people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal company, very diverse, lots of opportunity if you are willing to move to where the opportunities are.

ConsWorking for an airline is a 24/7/365 job. Very difficult to disconnect.

Beware of lch

Ramp Agent (Former Employee) Lake Charles, LA

ProsCheap standby flights that's about it

ConsLow pay, doing gate agent and ramp at same time. Low pay. A lot of yelling. No way of moving up. Be prepared to work every weekend for at least five years. The shift leads are very rude. They won't hire you if you're going to college. As put by the lead "It is a very good place to work if you have a husband who makes a lot of money because the pay is so low and so are your flights."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management. Treat your staff like they are humans.

Disheartening

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe caliber of the people I worked with made being there worthwhile.

ConsManagement and the TWU, Neither entity has the employee's or the customers best interest in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the people who actually are the face and body of the airline.

some good people in a pool of cheats of epic porportions and full of deceptionists.

Ramp Agent (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosdiscounted flights and good discounts

Consbad punch clocks, bad and vague rules, favortistic leads, bad attendance system and a weak union at ord

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to hire with experience watch your crooked crew chiefs to promote unworthy people to crew chiefs cuz its their friends and a serious violation to rules

Good job flexible hours shift work typical airline you get what you negotiate as a group and not a penny more

ProsIF you can get on a flight 1st come 1st serve, NOT seniority...."free flight".

ConsTreated as Just a necessary cog. Currently below industry avg pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoke on your greed, go somewhere else and bring in someone that doesn' t have to be told to share the benefits of the EMPLOYEES making the airline: a company investors want to invest in and customers want to fly safely and comfortably.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!