American Airlines Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.1

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving (in 135 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay (in 20 reviews)

• In order to advance you have to know someone in upper management (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

American Airlines is a great company to be a part of

Current Employee - Home Based Sales Representative  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Home Based Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility to make your schedule almost anything you want, friendly coworkers and managers

Cons

Can't relocate just anywhere, has to be within 75 miles of an office

Give the lower employees more credit, they can handle more tasks.

It has been good company to work for, but I'm concerned about the future.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Since it is a large company there are a lot of opportunities to move around and try positions that are of interest to you. For those who like to travel the flight benefits are nice although it can be difficult getting on a flight.

Cons

The merger has created some issues since the 2 companies have very different cultures and ways of doing things. There are people on both sides who don't care to listen to what the other sides has to say which has caused a divide

I had to give up everything and was homeless after my Job I loved and devoted my heart too was taken away from me

Former Employee - Passenger Service Representative  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Passenger Service Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at American Airlines part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyday is different and u meet all types off people.. There's never a dull moment @ the airport

Cons

Pleasing a customer who's mad about delays, cancellations or the fact that they're late for a flight.

Make decisions with you heart.. not always your mind.. We're all humans and need to earn a living.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place, but promotions go to the "golden children"

Former Employee - Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nearly-free travel, albeit stand-by is harder than it used to be. Large company, so lateral moves are available. Culture and work-life balance generally good, but varies substantially by department.

Cons

With only marginal growth, very limited upward opportunities; merger-related disruption likely to continue through next year and results in additional redundancies

Move through the US integration as quickly as possible to bring some semblance of stability to employees

Great customer focused company

Former Employee - Senior Cargo Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Cargo Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As everyone suspects, flight benefits are top on the list assuming you can find a flight with open seats. The health benefits are still better than most other companies.

Cons

The drawback of working for an airline is compensation. Its general knowledge that management salary and benefits is held as a bargaining chip that always looses out when negotiating with one of the several union groups.

Take care of your employees that perform. Invest in your employees in compensation and development.

Great place to work...

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management, processes, organizational communication, compensation. Management served as mentors. Wonderful values and ethics policies. The managers were highly organized and goal-oriented. Exceptional leadership.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities. Management should devise a plan to retain interns or part-time staff. However, this office closed. Unfortunately, there should have been a plan to transfer lower, but vital, personnel to other locations.

Summer MBA Internship

Current Employee - Strategy & Marketing Analyst - MBA  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Strategy & Marketing Analyst - MBA in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Airlines as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Ups and downs, good and bad, the people who work there love it. That was always a very positive element. As a lifelong aviation enthusiast I fit in very well and my knowledge of the industry really helped me connect with people during my interviews. Work-life balance doesn't get much better than this, though I know the MBA intern in the fleet planning department was worked like a dog.

Performance and fit were rewarded, with the best interns getting full-time offers but quite a few not receiving them.

Employees themselves really varied. There were some incredible people in middle management and some good and less than stellar people in senior management.

Flight benefits are great if you don't mind the whole standby aspect.

Cons

Compensation is good for Texas but not as good as coastal cities in the US. There's a bit of a heads-down aspect to the work here without a lot of group interactions and projects, which was hard as group energy makes me thrive.

The MBA internship program is good but could be developed further. Once they have you in they don't do as much to really keep you there or make you feel truly valued or desired. When debating whether or not to accept a full time offer, my MBA intern college actually had a team member say to her, "What are you waiting for? If you don't say yes, we have a ton of people waiting who will." Not really the greatest message to send.

The non-rev flight benefits were never that attractive to me because you really don't ever know if you're going somewhere, especially in the summer. I heard stories of employees getting pulled off a plane when a paying customer showed up. It was always frustrating to have friends call and say, "So when do you get in?" and have to respond, "I don't know if I'm even getting on the plane yet"

With the US/AA merger, make sure things don't get dumbed-down to the US Airways level. Marketing, advertising, experience are all major aspects of travel. I know the incoming US Airways leadership doesn't believe in this, and that is a shame

I live my Job.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility And the grieta people emplomes we get to Soria with.

Cons

It tales a long time to mame a gold salary.

Keep working on being an industry leader..

Reservations Rep

Former Employee - Reservation Representative  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Reservation Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

very good company to work for

Cons

No matter how nice you are to the customers they are still very mean and hateful for the most part. However, considering every time the customer turns around their flight is getting delayed if not canceled I guess I would be mean and hateful too.

Some really need to know what their job is.

It's not what it used to be

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like to travel, you're surrounded by people like you, with the passion to travel. There's a good diversity of backgrounds. They like to hire from within.

Cons

It's now US Airways, not American Airlines. All the senior leadership is from US Airways. The president has publicly said he doesn't believe in marketing, so be cautious. Travel perks are for standby travel. With all the people laid off with flight benefits, not sure you'll really get to use them.

Not everyone who came from the old American Airlines is clueless. There are a lot of good employees, please listen to their ideas.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!