American Airlines Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.1

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving (in 135 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay (in 20 reviews)

• In order to advance you have to know someone in upper management (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Fake it to make it or dumb it up. The AA way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of the workers were nice. Flight benefits were good if you could actually get on a flight. pay was ok.

Cons

Management has no vision. They don't know talent when they see it. Hopefully with USAIR coming in they can get rid of the fake it to make folks which is rampant. Management does no grooming of folks so training is nonexistent to move up. Very passive aggressive and serious bully tactics that they say are just being professional. NOT!!! The buddy system is the norm for you to move up or just dumb it up to move up that's if they like you. Forget leaving on time if weather moves in. Management still can't figure it out to lead the operation.

Get your act together and know when people are trying they want to be acknowledged. listen to whats around you but don't put stock in all you hear like one managing director does for his fake it to make it pay check. Know what your employees do to get you the numbers your looking at. Serious sensitivity classes needed for management as well as classes for the bullying tactics that go on in management. no one should feel utterly sick just to come to work. Witnessed daily!

great place to work and the best benefits

Former Employee - Reservations Agent  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

hard to combine with a second job

Cons

travel benefits are the best part of the job. you can travel everywhere :-)

Reservations is a great job, not a career.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Agent Reservations  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Agent Reservations in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits to travel are great when flights are available. Opportunities for advancement begin in Reservations.

Cons

Micro-management gets old fast. It is impossible to get every call 100% correct and if you're on the bad side of a supervisor, you life can be made miserable.

Clean house in middle-management in Reservations. Made sure there is accountability and no one is allowed to run their personal agenda.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

I have been working at American Airlines

Pros

Flight Benefits are great

Cons

Long Drive is killing me

A very unorganized company with a large quantity of mismanagement.

Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Mechanic  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Mechanic in Tulsa, OK

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great salary, okay flight benefits if you finish 20 years of service, a large portion of the aircraft are still maintained in the United States unlike other airlines.

Cons

Benefits soared through the roof even prior to the government coverage option, very little job security, high management turnover.

Probably need to establish a bottom-up approach to conducting operations.

Great people in the ranks who work hard for Executives who have unclear expectations and often org opposing objectives.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Outstanding people who come to work everyday & give it their all for good leaders and some in spite of bad leaders. The Supervisory staffs in Base Maintenance put in untold hours where some are compensated, others are not - it is all so unclear when it comes to consistent policy and how it is enforced. My recognition goes to all those who "Do the right thing", but never gain recognition for it. I had the best staff I have ever managed in my 20 years of aviation leadership positions - diverse, dedicated & loyal to a leader who really cared. So, there were some good leaders and there remain some really bad ones - I hope, as a stock holder, they survive their own future.

Cons

My experience, as a Sr. Level Manager in Maintenance is that the middle management and floor staff work extremely hard to fulfill often unclear objectives. Sr. Level Management & Directors cannot work together as effective teams due to their philosophy of "I want you to do well, just not better than me." and this leads them to a culture of making themselves look good by minimalizing the work of their peers - a real sickness that sucks the life out of the middle & floor workers...too sad

All Sr. & Director level leadership should have their performance honestly rated by their direct reports and staff instead of their peers & bosses. I came from a company where integrity was everything, and I now depart from a company where undermining & minimalizing the efforts of your peers, cloaking bad management behavior behind vague and unaccountable policies & processes, and leading the workforce through fear - outsourcing - and intimidation was really wearing on my own leader's psyche.
    My advice - grow a pair - rate your leaders with the honesty of their reports & staffs, promote those who can "walk the talk - not just talk the talk" and you just might create a productive, profitable & even fun environment for people to spend their careers.

Working For This Company Was a Wonderful Experience.

Former Employee - Transportation Servcies Agent  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Servcies Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

very flexible with work hours, picking shifts, jobs, and fairness with everyone.

Cons

Company is currently going through growing pains and is in the middle of restructuring.

Have an open mind and listen to some of the employees ideas if they make sense that will increase revenues and profits for the company.

Job is ok if you can handle custumers

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Airlines part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flight benefits, everyday could be something different

Cons

Low pay, unruly customers, job is also dependent on weather

Generally it is good, but you need to have politics....

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Airlines as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company, Load work life balance, Stable environment

Cons

It is included a lot of politics when you send email. The salary wise you are not making a lot of money but you have flight benefit..

gate agent

Current Employee - Gate Agent  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Gate Agent in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to work for..

Cons

Have to work holidays all the time.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!