American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker

Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving (in 135 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay (in 20 reviews)

• In order to advance you have to know someone in upper management (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved 90 percent of my time here

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTravel...time off...flexible schedule which comes with seniority

ConsYou see a high salary...but in fact full time flying is only 20 hours a week or about 80 hours a month....

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees....we never see you...

American Eagle crew scheduling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlight benefits, if you can afford to travel. Health/401k

ConsManagement is more concerned with the appearance of doing a good job than actually implementing innovative strategies for productivity. As a scheduler you're no more than a body in a seat. You can advance if you're willing to gossip with the department manager about coworkers.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide managers with training in how to effectively communicate with workers with out screaming and belittling them. Maybe consider education level when hiring for department management.

Good job flexible hours shift work typical airline you get what you negotiate as a group and not a penny more

ProsIF you can get on a flight 1st come 1st serve, NOT seniority...."free flight".

ConsTreated as Just a necessary cog. Currently below industry avg pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoke on your greed, go somewhere else and bring in someone that doesn' t have to be told to share the benefits of the EMPLOYEES making the airline: a company investors want to invest in and customers want to fly safely and comfortably.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very exhausting to work here.

Airline Ground Crew (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsFree flights is all I can think of.

ConsManagement is bad, very very bad.

In the beginning was great!

In Flight (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou receive the same benefits as American Airlines. Great commuter policy.

ConsPoor management. Lack of competent leadership. Favoritism over good judgment. Company offered the ability to tailor schedule yet was denied for most transactions. Poor utilization of crew assignments. Aircraft fleet outdated and behind most other regionals of its size.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a level of trust with your employees .Foster a positive work environment.

Move Along

Reservation Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFlight Benefits and the ability to work from home

ConsYou are totally overworked and just completely underpaid and totally under appreciated.
    Rude employees (reservations help desk RSD and Tariff department have some of the worst attitudes known to mankind)
    You have to "bid" for your shift which is insane
    You actually have to go through hell & high water to get time off.
    You are stuck covering your department and domestic as well - while they offer domestic sales free time off

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously consider your employees safety - having to DRIVE into the office when the governor has declared a state of emergency is just insane. I think its very important for you to make sure that your employees feel appreciated - when we actually enjoy our jobs we perform better and the company excels. Make it easier for employees to actually get time off to use the benefits we work so hard to get.

Taking off . . . keep the momentum.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe flight benefits and the people you work with are solid. The company seems to be moving in the right direction. Mergers are tricky and can get messy fast, but so far so good.

ConsOn boarding is non-existent, at least in my case. Others have been more fortunate. Depends on your manager. Access to HR is via chat/phone, no personal touch. Same for just about everything; benefits, retirement, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are looking up with the merger, but a lot to be seen yet. Stay open and direct with communication and keep employees interests at heart.

It's a great place to work!

ProsThe team I work with was great!

ConsSome days you will work extremely long hours while on other days you would not have a shift at all.

Always was very good!

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAmerican is a place where people can achieve their full potential!

ConsLongs hours, weekends, holidays and sometimes be away from our families! Also pay is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management need support their employees on a positive way and sometimes we like to be recognize for a good customer service.

Leave as soon as possible

Pilot - First Officer (Current Employee)

ProsTravel. The co-workers are mostly good people.

ConsPay, hours, schedule, benefits, management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Stop taking bonuses while asking us for pay cuts.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!