American Airlines

Updated October 30, 2014
3.2

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • Great flight benefits as American has a lot of destinations around the world (in 143 reviews)

• Flight benefits are great if you don't mind the whole standby aspect (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • With all the people laid off with flight benefits, not sure you'll really get to use them (in 20 reviews)

• The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

worked here for 20 years as a structure mechanic (7 years) and an avionics tech and crew chief (13 years)

Former Employee - Avionics Crew Chief in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Avionics Crew Chief in Tulsa, OK

I worked at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the pay was very good and had pretty good benefits ,the working hours were ok i didnt mind working different hours all of the time and they had alot of saftey precautions put in place

Cons

some of the rules got quite crazy toward the end of my career there and some management let their positions go to their heads

Let the workers do their jobs

AA

Former Employee - Purchasing Department in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Purchasing Department in Tulsa, OK

I worked at American Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great legacy. Size. The company is poised for growth.

Cons

Older practices. Need to update entire departments.

Remove barriers to more effective decision-making.

Great people in the ranks who work hard for Executives who have unclear expectations and often org opposing objectives.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding people who come to work everyday & give it their all for good leaders and some in spite of bad leaders. The Supervisory staffs in Base Maintenance put in untold hours where some are compensated, others are not - it is all so unclear when it comes to consistent policy and how it is enforced. My recognition goes to all those who "Do the right thing", but never gain recognition for it. I had the best staff I have ever managed in my 20 years of aviation leadership positions - diverse, dedicated & loyal to a leader who really cared. So, there were some good leaders and there remain some really bad ones - I hope, as a stock holder, they survive their own future.

Cons

My experience, as a Sr. Level Manager in Maintenance is that the middle management and floor staff work extremely hard to fulfill often unclear objectives. Sr. Level Management & Directors cannot work together as effective teams due to their philosophy of "I want you to do well, just not better than me." and this leads them to a culture of making themselves look good by minimalizing the work of their peers - a real sickness that sucks the life out of the middle & floor workers...too sad

All Sr. & Director level leadership should have their performance honestly rated by their direct reports and staff instead of their peers & bosses. I came from a company where integrity was everything, and I now depart from a company where undermining & minimalizing the efforts of your peers, cloaking bad management behavior behind vague and unaccountable policies & processes, and leading the workforce through fear - outsourcing - and intimidation was really wearing on my own leader's psyche.
    My advice - grow a pair - rate your leaders with the honesty of their reports & staffs, promote those who can "walk the talk - not just talk the talk" and you just might create a productive, profitable & even fun environment for people to spend their careers.

A very unorganized company with a large quantity of mismanagement.

Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Mechanic in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Mechanic in Tulsa, OK

I worked at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary, okay flight benefits if you finish 20 years of service, a large portion of the aircraft are still maintained in the United States unlike other airlines.

Cons

Benefits soared through the roof even prior to the government coverage option, very little job security, high management turnover.

Probably need to establish a bottom-up approach to conducting operations.

Great Place to work if you like to work really hard and very long hours

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flight Benefits make sure you travel while working here. You will find some really gifted smart people there who deserve a really much better Management Team than what is in place

Cons

Finding a way to use the flight benefits as they really don't want you traveling or using your benefits. Every Employee seems to be a liability except if you are in Management. Then you are a valued Employee they can't do without even if you bankrupted the last Airline you were President or upper management of.

Pension and benefits are a thing of the past here.

Fire yourselves and find some real Airline People who want to run The Best Airline in the World because that has been missing since Robert Crandall Retired. Quit trying to get rid of Seasoned Employees who have literally worked themselves to death for you. Also quit coddling Employees with Drug and Alcohol Issues and either get them Real Help or fire them.

Don't ever ask an Employee to do something you aren't willing, able, or licensed for to do a job you wouldn't do.

Walk a mile in their shoes once a Month.

Quit taking bonuses and huge salaries and perks because everyone else is doing it. You used to be Industry Leaders. Now you aren't even taken seriously by Stock Holders or your peers.

Taking off . . . keep the momentum.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The flight benefits and the people you work with are solid. The company seems to be moving in the right direction. Mergers are tricky and can get messy fast, but so far so good.

Cons

On boarding is non-existent, at least in my case. Others have been more fortunate. Depends on your manager. Access to HR is via chat/phone, no personal touch. Same for just about everything; benefits, retirement, etc.

Things are looking up with the merger, but a lot to be seen yet. Stay open and direct with communication and keep employees interests at heart.

Since the merger, the company is not the same

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flight benefits are nice to have

Cons

The new ex-USAir management does not value the AA employees.

Good experience, needs to leave the 50's management style at home

Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great fun and most are hard working

Cons

The management is the "good ole boy system"

Treat employees like you would want to be treated

operations

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work life balance, benifits, seniority

Cons

work life, job security, pay, benifits

Inefficient and dated.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Tulsa, OK

I worked at American Airlines as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-I generally agree with the corporate culture
    -Little supervision/micromanagement
    -Self-directed work

Cons

-In my department, as a co-op, it was nearly impossible to find someone who had projects that I could help with. My time was wasted and I didn't really learn anything applicable to engineering.
    -Overabundance of managers/leads. Confusing/conflicting information on who is responsible to who and for what.
    -Incredibly inefficient IT/office support. It took weeks for me to get a phone/computer/internet access/software.

Play a more active role in training new members on the technical staff--help them to feel more included and relevant.

American Airlines Photos