American Airlines

Updated Jun 25, 2014

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker

Doug Parker

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people in the ranks who work hard for Executives who have unclear expectations and often org opposing objectives.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsOutstanding people who come to work everyday & give it their all for good leaders and some in spite of bad leaders. The Supervisory staffs in Base Maintenance put in untold hours where some are compensated, others are not - it is all so unclear when it comes to consistent policy and how it is enforced. My recognition goes to all those who "Do the right thing", but never gain recognition for it. I had the best staff I have ever managed in my 20 years of aviation leadership positions - diverse, dedicated & loyal to a leader who really cared. So, there were some good leaders and there remain some really bad ones - I hope, as a stock holder, they survive their own future.

ConsMy experience, as a Sr. Level Manager in Maintenance is that the middle management and floor staff work extremely hard to fulfill often unclear objectives. Sr. Level Management & Directors cannot work together as effective teams due to their philosophy of "I want you to do well, just not better than me." and this leads them to a culture of making themselves look good by minimalizing the work of their peers - a real sickness that sucks the life out of the middle & floor workers...too sad

Advice to Senior ManagementAll Sr. & Director level leadership should have their performance honestly rated by their direct reports and staff instead of their peers & bosses. I came from a company where integrity was everything, and I now depart from a company where undermining & minimalizing the efforts of your peers, cloaking bad management behavior behind vague and unaccountable policies & processes, and leading the workforce through fear - outsourcing - and intimidation was really wearing on my own leader's psyche.
    My advice - grow a pair - rate your leaders with the honesty of their reports & staffs, promote those who can "walk the talk - not just talk the talk" and you just might create a productive, profitable & even fun environment for people to spend their careers.

A very unorganized company with a large quantity of mismanagement.

Facilities Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsGreat salary, okay flight benefits if you finish 20 years of service, a large portion of the aircraft are still maintained in the United States unlike other airlines.

ConsBenefits soared through the roof even prior to the government coverage option, very little job security, high management turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably need to establish a bottom-up approach to conducting operations.

worked here for 20 years as a structure mechanic (7 years) and an avionics tech and crew chief (13 years)

Avionics Crew Chief (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

Prosthe pay was very good and had pretty good benefits ,the working hours were ok i didnt mind working different hours all of the time and they had alot of saftey precautions put in place

Conssome of the rules got quite crazy toward the end of my career there and some management let their positions go to their heads

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the workers do their jobs

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Taking off . . . keep the momentum.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsThe flight benefits and the people you work with are solid. The company seems to be moving in the right direction. Mergers are tricky and can get messy fast, but so far so good.

ConsOn boarding is non-existent, at least in my case. Others have been more fortunate. Depends on your manager. Access to HR is via chat/phone, no personal touch. Same for just about everything; benefits, retirement, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are looking up with the merger, but a lot to be seen yet. Stay open and direct with communication and keep employees interests at heart.

Since the merger, the company is not the same

Accounting Clerk (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsFlight benefits are nice to have

ConsThe new ex-USAir management does not value the AA employees.

Great Place to work if you like to work really hard and very long hours

Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsFlight Benefits make sure you travel while working here. You will find some really gifted smart people there who deserve a really much better Management Team than what is in place

ConsFinding a way to use the flight benefits as they really don't want you traveling or using your benefits. Every Employee seems to be a liability except if you are in Management. Then you are a valued Employee they can't do without even if you bankrupted the last Airline you were President or upper management of.

Pension and benefits are a thing of the past here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and find some real Airline People who want to run The Best Airline in the World because that has been missing since Robert Crandall Retired. Quit trying to get rid of Seasoned Employees who have literally worked themselves to death for you. Also quit coddling Employees with Drug and Alcohol Issues and either get them Real Help or fire them.

Don't ever ask an Employee to do something you aren't willing, able, or licensed for to do a job you wouldn't do.

Walk a mile in their shoes once a Month.

Quit taking bonuses and huge salaries and perks because everyone else is doing it. You used to be Industry Leaders. Now you aren't even taken seriously by Stock Holders or your peers.

Good experience, needs to leave the 50's management style at home

Inventory Control Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsThe people are great fun and most are hard working

ConsThe management is the "good ole boy system"

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like you would want to be treated

operations

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

Proswork life balance, benifits, seniority

Conswork life, job security, pay, benifits

Inefficient and dated.

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

Pros-I generally agree with the corporate culture
    -Little supervision/micromanagement
    -Self-directed work

Cons-In my department, as a co-op, it was nearly impossible to find someone who had projects that I could help with. My time was wasted and I didn't really learn anything applicable to engineering.
    -Overabundance of managers/leads. Confusing/conflicting information on who is responsible to who and for what.
    -Incredibly inefficient IT/office support. It took weeks for me to get a phone/computer/internet access/software.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlay a more active role in training new members on the technical staff--help them to feel more included and relevant.

G ood place to work

Stock Clerk (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

Prosif you work hard you get rewarded good benefits.

Consjust like any other job know you learn as you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employess do the job and reward the hard workers? at least let them know how you feel when they do work hard.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines reviews and ratings in Tulsa, OK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Airlines CEO Doug Parker. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees.