American Ambulance

Robert "Boo" Heffner

1. Good job

Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a good starting job to enter the prehospital field although it may not be the one to have a career in. American is great to gain experience. As wells as there need for multiple employees allows you to gain massive overtime.

Cons

Great to work for but the down sides are the pay rate. As well as kissing your nights goodbye. If they need you for one for call (late call) you can expect to stay another hour to two hours at work.

2. Paramedic

I worked at American Ambulance full-time

Pros

Great company to work for staff is great. Overtime makes up for low pay

Cons

Not a lot but I feel kinda like they throw you into working without really making sure you are ready.

Advice to Management

Nothing all of them are great and I couldn't have dealt with better staff.

3. this is what you need to know

Current Employee - Critical Care Paramedic, 24-hour Position in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Critical Care Paramedic, 24-hour Position in Orlando, FL

I have been working at American Ambulance (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Benefits after one year of full time employment. Continuing education opportunities. Such as critical care medic program once every two years or so. We need warm bodies because we are so rapidly growing. So yes, you'll most likely be hired. Grow with us or move on. But don't forget who gave you your "experience" so you could land your fire or hospital job or get into med or PA school. You can learn SO MUCH here. Keep your eyes open and always go slightly above and beyond and you'll find yourself being motivated to further your career, more than just being an EMT or medic. You'll learn a lot and you'll have a special insight that firefighters and rural metro can't give you. We care about our patients, customer service is a thing in this field and American ambulance strives to show you that.

Cons

Overworked and then sometimes underworked. It varies depending on your position. But This is the field we chose. I say get over it or get out. Would be nice to be paid better but what EMS worker isn't saying that? They're growing rapidly therefore there is constant change. It's hard to keep up and at times it causes issues due to the inconsistency.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent. You can't write one person up for something but let another slide. Everything should be uniform. Exactly the same.

5. Poor working environment

Current Employee - EMT in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - EMT in Orlando, FL

Pros

Nothing positive about this company except they do have good health insurance of which you have to pay half.

Cons

Poor equipment. Poor pay. Poor management. There's nothing positive about this company. It's a job that's all. Management won't replace ALS equipment, or ambulances. Some units have over 300,000 miles and are in very poor working condition. Cardiac monitors are horrible.

Advice to Management

Stop pinching pennies. Buy better equipment. Your employees don't care about free food, they need more money

6. American Ambulance

Pros

Flexible schedule. Internal job promotions.

Cons

Supervisors don't seem to care about employees.

7. Pretty chill workplace, great place to start a career in the EMS field.

Current Employee - EMT in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - EMT in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Ambulance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are friendly, hours are beyond flexible, you can work as much as you want or as little as you want, run all types of calls most are bs but you can get some serious ones, great job experience and really gets your feet wet for the EMS field.

Cons

Work load can sometimes be tiring, under paid for the amount of work you do, lunch isn't always guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Consider raising the employees pay really is my only complaint. Keep the employees happy to keep the customers happy.

Awful

Former Employee - Biller in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Biller in Miami, FL

I worked at American Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekends Off Depending on Position Good to put on your resume just to get your foot in the door in the healthcare field

Cons

Very Stressful Work Environment Overworked and Under-payed Managers and supervisors are constantly watching you on cameras System is down almost every day

9. The one in Fort Pierce FL

Current Employee - EMT in Fort Pierce, FL
    Current Employee - EMT in Fort Pierce, FL

I have been working at American Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

To leave and ever look back people there secretly assassinate your character

Cons

There is a under handed life style there you have to be there to know. People are delusional in who they are back stabbing is normal to them.

Advice to Management

Stop giving bad employee work history. If someone leaves the company for something better you are a bunch of racist and hateful people who can't stand for someone to do better.

10. good company, Just needs to pay their employees more

Current Employee - Call Taker in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Call Taker in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40 hours guaranteed. Co-workers make the workplace fun.

Cons

some days can be 12+hours, boring and repetitive

Mistreatment of employees and patients

Former Employee - Call Taker in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Call Taker in Miami, FL

I worked at American Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lunch break on the clock

Cons

A typical day was being forced to stay logged in only into the spanish speaking call receiving system due to the lack of bilingual employees everyone equally getting paid the same low rate, as to which this meant I was constantly over worked for 12 hours while management wasnt taking any calls period. calls were being constantly missed due to the english speakers not being allowed to pick up my line when i was backed up to place them on hold. Overwhelming, exhausting, favortism environment lack of discipline cross training an overall disaster of the work force. The owner talks about helping out the team and being a team but when it comes down to it the management will let the whole place crumble before they lend a helping hand and when u ask to assist in a call the surpervisor themselves refuse to even help, to prevent the call from escalating, The lack of customer service here is phenomenol. I wouldnt recommend for anyone to work here or use these services. Period.

Advice to Management

Help out. Instead of purposely throwing others overboard.

RSS Feed </> Embed