American Apparel

Updated March 2, 2015
2.8

American Apparel Chairman, President, and CEO Dov Charney
Dov Charney

Pros
  • They offer a 50% discount, but the items are so expensive that I never buy anything (in 54 reviews)

• Regularly bribed with free clothes to work unpaid overtime (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • There is an extremely high turnover rate at that level due to harassment, disorganization, and no work/live balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management undermines your position and staff tend to not listen to you (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get paid a pretty standard retail rate as is expected. Slightly more freedom than other retail establishments and work with fun, young staff. Sometimes got to participate in unique promotions which not a lot of other retail places will do.

Cons

Well, it is a per/hour retail job so all the disadvantages that come with that. You are not particularly given much trust or value and if there is a small reason for management to dislike you, you're out, just like that. Not a lot of job security, but that is not abnormal considering what kind of job it is.

Have more respect and trust for your employees, organize and clarify your goals so the staff know 100 percent what is expected of them.

Demanding company

Current Employee - Key Holder in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees aren't allow to work more than 5 hours without a 30 minute break which is nice. I liked my co-workers and felt that we were able to know each other. Store management is fine to work under.

Cons

Corporate management expects a lot from employees. If you are within $200 of that day's sales goal, you are required to stay open until the goal is reached. There was a lot of theft in the store and sometimes accompanied by physical and verbal threats, but the corporate office did not react often. There is also high employee turnover.

Easy enough, but bad communication

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I started as a sales associate at 18 years old and was pretty much hired on the spot. I all ready had a lot of American Apparel clothes so I did not have to worry about starting a whole new wardrobe. I worked as a sales associate for about three months before I got promoted to be the visual merchandiser which I love. It seems easy enough to move up in the company if you have a good work ethic and more importantly, a very good sense of style. 50% discount is also nice. If you end up having to move away for college and there is another American Apparel nearby where you will be, it is incredibly simple for them to transfer you to another store, even if it's in another country. I plan on remaining in the company when I move to Canada. Another big part of why I enjoy this job is because of my district merchandiser; she is one of the most cool, funny, and helpful bosses ever.

Cons

-Due to being in a low budget store I do not get paid as much as other merchandisers around the country.
    -You must wear all American Apparel INCLUDING shoes. My store does not have shoes, so if I want some I must drive at least an hour to another American Apparel, which seems ridiculous. They will not order the shoes for you unless you want to pay full price.
    -There can be poor communication between corporate/district managers. A few times I've received phone calls asking why I haven't done XYZ, when I have never been told about this.
    -Even if you read the employee handbook, the rules are not clear and you can get in trouble for things that you didn't know were against the rules.
    -There can be drama since nobody over 25 is hired.
    -When district managers come in they usually just scare the staff and are super unfriendly and rude, however this could just be the ones I've dealt with. They will yell at you over the stupidest things, and we sometimes felt they made up rules just to have something to get angry over. When any district manager came in we would be reprimanded for petty things such as "no drinks behind the cash desk" which we never knew was against the rules. You can't give people 8 hour shifts with ONE 30 minute break and say you aren't allowed a bottle of water. Ridiculous.
    -They seemed to mess up someone's paycheck every time.

Be more clear on what you want from your employees. Communicate better. If you're going to have a policy that you must be wearing American Apparel shoes, make it easy for us to actually access them.

Its great once you first start

Former Employee - Keyholder in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Annapolis, MD

I worked at American Apparel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a great starter job, usually 16 and up get hired
    Pays really great compared to some retail jobs
    fun environment

Cons

Becomes very unprofessional
    Hours can be annoying when understaffed some days you may not get a break

Hire more people over 18!

It was okay.

Former Employee - Picker in La Mirada, CA
    Former Employee - Picker in La Mirada, CA

I worked at American Apparel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Set hours, two days of every week were to yourself, nice coworkers

Cons

not so understanding, very long hours, mandatory overtime.

Overall, a great experience!

I worked at American Apparel

Pros

50% discount for employees, good work-life balance (decent hours and managers are responsive to availability changes), friendly co workers, consistently busy and on trend so you'll always be doing something

Cons

Slow upward growth within company, starting salary is a little low

Fun for some extra money but, like many other retail positions, offers little in learning and advancement.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at American Apparel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the people who are really chill and fun. The clothing is super cute, which is a plus, and you know it's moral shopping because they weren't built in sweatshops. Sometimes you get your picture taken and put on the New York Instagram which is pretty sweet.

Cons

In general, working retail isn't the best job. I loved working with the people, but the job itself was extremely tedious and some customers could be completely terrible.

It really depends on your manager but mine was

Upper management was totally unprofessional, catty and made poor staffing decisions.

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I worked at American Apparel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount, lots of free clothes

Cons

Company values, young and inexperienced staff, Dov Charney

Avoid this sinking ship at all costs.

Former Employee - Inventory Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inventory Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Apparel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Full health coverage, opportunities for advancement frequent (if interested)

Cons

Little to no sense of longterm corporate vision; poor communication throughout the organization; toxic culture; inexperienced, unprofessional middle management (district level) seems to manage subordinates through fear/antagonism/bullying

Remove Mr. Charney from any and all responsibilities.

Seasonal Employee

Former Employee - Inventory/Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Inventory/Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at American Apparel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to learn how to be an inventory and sales associate. I enjoyed being an inventory associate more. People are usually easier to get along with. Easy to get time off if needed. Easy to become manager but pay always remains low.

Cons

50% discount isn't fair because year after year prices of everything have risen so they compensate through the discount. Back then it used to be less discount but that's because it was reasonably priced. Also you have to wear american apparel from head to toe which forces you to buy their stuff. I'm always left with minimal on my paycheck.

Wearing American Apparel shoes should not be mandatory. The shoes are of low quality and my feet were definitely messed up from that. And for 9 an hour definitely not worth the pain in the long run.