American Apparel Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Company used to be better for employees, still a great place to work

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Youthful company, great clothes, still some spirit of the old CEO's values alive in various pockets. Avoid LA stores.

Cons

Hardly ever merit-based raises. New CEO makes it harder to move up from within & budget cuts affect everything.

Advice to Management

Hire less people, give hours to people who deserve it. Those who have been there putting in time for years.

2. Decent job with a lot of down time... if you can put up with illogical and infuriating management.

Former Employee - Keyholder in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Baltimore, MD

I worked at American Apparel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy routine work, friendly coworkers, great employee discount and giveaways. Slow foot traffic, enough time to bring a book or work on homework.

Cons

A LOT of shoplifting and no security guard. Management is ignorant and not understanding. (Store manager was maced at the cash desk and district management still wouldn't hire a guard, just tells us to "use good customer service.")

Advice to Management

Use your brains and common sense and give some genuine concern for your employees instead of faking it when convenient to not make yourselves look bad. You don't work the ground level, so you don't get it.

3. In-store visual merchandiser

Former Employee - In-Store Visual Merchandiser
    Former Employee - In-Store Visual Merchandiser

I worked at American Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot from different responsibilities such as floor fulfillment, working with back stock and allocators, floor presentation and mannequin styling, and daily/weekly tasks.

Cons

It's a lot on one plate at usually not that high of rate. The company is generally run by younger individuals which can make it at times seem unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Help the visual merchandiser whenever there is down time, allow others to be involved in certain creative tasks.

5. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount Flexible hours Easy to move up(in my store, if you're good at your job)

Cons

Terrible pay. Hard to get a raise. Long hours/ overnights I've worked a 26 hour shift before HR is not very helpful Corporate and district are power hungry.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring 20 something year olds who don't have experience to be in hr or be a district manager. Reward your managers and employees with pay raises. Investigate ALL of management. Be careful who you hire in to hr. My friend was in hr and exploited everything.

6. Backstock

Pros

The people are nice. Discount is nice perk

Cons

You often have to buy extra clothes because the dress code is all AA

7. Good starter retail job, but can be overwhelming

Current Employee - Keyholder in Forest Hills, NY
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Forest Hills, NY

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helps you acquire an understanding knowledge of retail and the dynamics of customer service.

Cons

Very corrupted HR management, not many good incentives to keep you working at aa besides the employee discount.

8. Disorganized and Underpaid---HQ

Former Employee - Online Sales Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Online Sales Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Apparel (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free/ Discounted clothes -Mindless work, if that's your thing -No real dress code -Everybody hates it as much as you do

Cons

-Bitchy coworkers -Hostile work environment -HR is a joke -No job security

Advice to Management

Just quit before the company goes under.

9. Fun, exciting, but unprofessional

I worked at American Apparel part-time

Pros

This company is great if you're looking for a quick seasonal job and to make friends. They are not very interested in keeping employees long-term.

Cons

It was difficult to move up or get a raise from the company. As an associate I did receive commission however my commission was mostly based on how busy the store was.

Advice to Management

Train employees better and try to keep them long-term. New people walked in and worked for the store almost every week and it was very unprofessional to have un-knowledgeable employees.

10. Ehh, it was alright.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at American Apparel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was literally hired based on my instagram feed; take that as you may. The discount is great, half off everything. It's one of the sole reasons I continued to work here. The staff was like a small family, we all got along extremely well together. It's a nice experience but do not work here if you actually need to survive off the wages

Cons

Constant switching of management. Unrealistic sales goals you would be written up for if you could not meet. Nobody needs this amount of stress over $9/hr

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. It's kind of what your job is.

11. Fun at first

Former Employee - Key Holder in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at American Apparel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tight-knit community once you prove yourself (professionally, but mostly socially) - community continues after moving on to another employer

Cons

Promotions, etc. have a lot to do with social status - if your higher-up likes you as a person, you will get a raise or promotion before someone more qualified

Advice to Management

Ease up on dress code - aesthetically cohesive is good, but don't make employees wear uncomfortable shoes while standing on the sales floor for 8 hour shifts

RSS Feed </> Embed