American Apparel

Updated November 23, 2014
2.8

American Apparel Chairman, President, and CEO Dov Charney
Dov Charney

Pros
  • They offer a 50% discount, but the items are so expensive that I never buy anything (in 54 reviews)

• Regularly bribed with free clothes to work unpaid overtime (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • There is an extremely high turnover rate at that level due to harassment, disorganization, and no work/live balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management undermines your position and staff tend to not listen to you (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

At Least They Treat The Factory Workers Well...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% Discount
    Clothing Allowance
    Promotional Giveaways
    Other People Think Its A "Cool" Job, which makes you "cool"

Cons

Obsession with aesthetics
    Wearing American Apparel EVERDAY, head to toe gets old...
    You have to obey the crazy rules which change like everyday, No boots, No sandals, don't dye your hair, don't cut your hair, don't gain weight, don't over pluck your brows, don't wear eyeliner, don't wear lipstick unless it looks like its not lipstick....lol seriously, its like American Apparel becomes your abusive controlling boyfriend.

Promote from within the store, put less emphasis on looks and more on hard work, sales, drive, stop wasting time with daily inventory/stock checks, play to people's strengths don't exclude them...give stores more freedom to be creative and embrace the culture of the neighborhood in which the stores exist...every store is different, every community is different. Pay retail employees more, make allowances bigger or increase employee discount.

Amazing company if your staff is amazing

Current Employee - Keyholder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Keyholder in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to move up, free clothes, amazing discount, flexible hours, commission

Cons

Terrible pay for management . Was paid more when sales associate. No makeup. Very strict dress code. Late nights

Mismanaged, but bearable if you are male

Former Employee - Sales Associate - American Apparel in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - American Apparel in Miami, FL

I worked at American Apparel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are looking for a job that is not demanding, requires little competency, and accommodates to a hedonistic lifestyle, AA is for you. The stock managers are generally competent, but any of the female floor managers are generally vexing and incompetent.

Cons

The hours can be excruciatingly long, but mostly due to poor management. Also, if you don't enjoy hanging out with co-workers after hours, expect to feel marginalized at times.

Stop focusing on benefits for your factory employees only and be more selective about your managerial employees.

Worst company ever

Former Employee - HQ - Creative
    Former Employee - HQ - Creative

I worked at American Apparel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can do whatever you want, good way to get your foot in the door if you know how the industry works

Cons

Lets just put it this way - anything you've heard about AA is probably 100% accurate

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Sales Associate - American Apparel in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - American Apparel in New York, NY

I worked at American Apparel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people at the store that I worked at were all really nice. Granted, some of them were only looking out for themselves, but overall, they were easy to get along with. The store discounts are pretty nice because the clothes are rather expensive for just basics.

Cons

The store I was located in didn't have a proper break room/kitchen (standing for 8 hour shifts, and then standing to eat my lunch because there was no seating for workers), the pay was definitely not worth for the amount of physical labor we went through, and some of the keyholders were unreasonable with when to let off workers who needed to get home and not be held until 2 in the morning because they lived an hour+ away.

To be fair, I might have had a really bad experience because of the store I was in, because I had a friend who loved working there and had a great things to say.

Good job- but upper management are racist

I have been working at American Apparel

Pros

Half-off clothing, free clothing, meet cool people.

Cons

Treatment of non-whites like second class citizens.

Take management classes

Horrible Company

I worked at American Apparel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team members were enjoyable to work with

Cons

CEO was inappropriate, Favoritism, Hired and promoted on looks and friends

Very poorly run company

Former Employee - Backstock Associate in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Backstock Associate in Garden City, NY

I worked at American Apparel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at American Apparel back in 2010--while Dov Charney was still in charge. I got along well with most of my coworkers and I made above minimum wage but since I was not on sales floor had no chance to make commission. Also got a ton of free clothes.

Cons

The company is incredibly poorly run. No one in management appears to be over the age of like 22, employee turnover is high, the schedule sucked. I worked there pre-RFID so this may have improved but I was regularly in the store up to 6 hours after close two nights a week for Perfect Fill nights.

Depends

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at American Apparel (more than an year)

Pros

Free clothes upon hire, 50% discount, free giveaways from time to time. If you work at a store that isn't busy most of the time, you'll pretty much be paid to wander around shopping for yourself. If you stick with the company for a while, it is easy to move up.

Cons

There are some seriously under-qualified yet pretentious people who go on insane power trips from working management here. If you don't like your coworkers, you'll probably want to quit. If you love them, you'll love working your shifts. Overnights are insane to do, especially for students with a full course load.

Get organized.

Sweat-shop free American Apparel

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Apparel

Pros

Sweat-shop free and being manufactured in Downtown LA,
    Self-expression and style, able to style own outfits to wear to work showcasing your own sense of style

Cons

working with some co-workers with snotty attitude, does not create conducive "team" environment as you feel like people talk behind your back about you at work