www.americanapparel.net

Updated December 13, 2014
2.8

American Apparel Chairman, President, and CEO Dov Charney
Dov Charney

Pros
  • They offer a 50% discount, but the items are so expensive that I never buy anything (in 54 reviews)

• Regularly bribed with free clothes to work unpaid overtime (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • There is an extremely high turnover rate at that level due to harassment, disorganization, and no work/live balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management undermines your position and staff tend to not listen to you (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the company but....

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance can be maintained. Free/discounted clothing. Easy to move up.

Cons

Low wages. No paid time off. No 401K. Do not get paid adequately for the amount of responsibility and accountability.

If you want your managers to stay. Pay them better.

Worst

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Apparel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Regularly bribed with free clothes to work unpaid overtime. Yes, that is as close as I can come to a "pro" of working here.

Cons

Literally the most toxic and exhausting workplace environment imaginable

Quit

I have been working at American Apparel

Pros

Great discounts and flexible hours. Fun work enviornment and great energy. Dress code is completely american apparel, but it's still a relaxed vibe.

Cons

Terrible pay for management. Unorganized. Lack of communication and information.

Focus on training employees and keyholders.

Good people to work with, very easy to move up, though not enough pay for the work you do

Current Employee - Backstock Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Backstock Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to move up as Keyholder within about 3 weeks of working there. Normally, good people to work with, amazing discount (50 percent off), free clothes every season or so. If you want a quick part time job, or if you're young (under 21) this job will be perfect.

Cons

Some workers are very unprofessional, not enough pay for amount of work you do there, lots of favoritism, not much structure. Not recommended for people out of college or looking for a serious job. Doesn't pay more then $14 an hour, they are known to over work you with minimum pay.

No hope for long term employment or career growth

Former Employee - Techpack Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Techpack Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Apparel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

weekly salary, onsite massage but have to expect for minimum 2weeks and some time you miss that too because of no standard time for that, discounts for clothing, easy going

Cons

The manager's lack of knowledge in this department & lack of management which leads not treating all employees in the same way in the department. Considering and favoring more for favorite employees. very little room for growth in this kind of atmosphere. Too much of internal politics and no honesty or professionalism

Not worth the stress

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Apparel

Pros

The discount is amazing.
    The clothing is good quality.
    The clothing is cute and unique.

Cons

Overall, the people who work for the company (higher ups/coporate) are rude, pretentious, unorganized, but yet, picky. They come in quite often to the local stores, immediately barking orders without any introduction to who they are.
    You can get yelled at for not finishing ridiculous and tedious tasks in the little time alotted.
    At the end of everyday you're required to take pictures of your store, which are scrutinised by some level of higher ups.
    The type of work that everyone does is not compensated well through the payment they receive.
    Overall treatment towards employees in the company is awful.
    This is a job that should not be as stressful as it actually is.
    There's no one to prevent managers from using favouritism.
    You are always asked to do something, by higher ups, with no specific instructions, often leading to you getting yelled at.
    You don't do business with normal human beings.

Act like real people. You pride yourself on "family values", yet you treat employees with little to no respect. Even a simple rephrasing of what you want can make a difference.

Tarnished reputation but positive work experience.

Former Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL

I worked at American Apparel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive work environment for a young person out of college, the company values young people and give them opportunities for leadership and advancement. It was a good place to gain a confidence boost before transitioning into a more serious workplace.

Cons

Simply the reputation of the company caused individuals to make associations that its employees were also sexually driven, vain, and vulgar. It was unfortunate because the truth is that they do good work and give many manufacturing jobs to many needy individuals in Southern California.

Rebrand the company now that Dov is gone. Aim for a more wholesome all-American image.

Ran by children

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the people I work with. My district managers were helpful and I learned a lot about retail. Hours were very flexible and it was a good job to have while still in college.

Cons

The company is run by 18 year olds, basically. Things are rather in disarray and no one seems to have a business mindset (I have a BSBA). Many of my superiors are unprofessional. Payroll is a big issue too, the company doesn't appreciate it's hard working employees with raises and the salary job is just another way to work those great employees to death.

Hire people with degrees in business.

Sales Associate/Backstock

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Backstock in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Backstock in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at American Apparel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a great sense of camaraderie during work. I actually ended up making some of my best friends at that job. I worked at the Schaumburg location so there really wasn't a whole lot of business flowing through due to the location at the mall, so there was plenty of downtime to get merchandizing and cleaning done.

Cons

You have to wear 100% American Apparel, which is hard on your ever so small paycheck because they pay minimum wage. It was a great high school/beginning of college gig. Because the company doesn't have rules about employees fraternizing with each other this can sometimes cause drama amongst the co-workers. When DOV was the CEO the corporate ladder and how demands and orders came down were sometimes unorganized and frustrating. Often they would send "models" from LA (not properly trained, college grads) to come "fix" the store if the store was having issues with making their goals. These "models" although nice, really didn't know how to properly manage or educate people. Hopefully with the new CEO these issues are irrelevant now. If you get a job here, just know it'll be a great fun experience, but most people don't usually stay longer than a year or two. Because people don't stay long it is obvious that they promote unprepared and ill equipped early 20 year old sales associates to manager positions before they're ready and this causes the store to have issues with goals etc.

An enjoyable retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment is great. I enjoy the people I work with and for the most part there is fair treatment.

Cons

Having a 18 year old manager can become frustrating because they dont understand how to be a professional. There's a lot of favoritism. My manager can be late 3 days in a row or makes a huge mistake while closing and no one says anything to him. He has been an hour late several times in one week and then one sale associate was under 10 minutes late two days in a row and she received a "final warning".

Don't let managers get away with everything. Its not fair and it makes it hard for the staff to respect their manager.