American Appraisal

Add Photos

Joseph P. Zvesper

Great Place for Education

Associate Appraiser (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCompany pays for education needed to become a licensed appraiser. Learn about different types of real estate.

ConsNot enough PTO. A lot of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange to 19 days of PTO. Give people CoStar in every office.

Terrible company

FAMIS Associate (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

Prosairline points and hotel points

ConsThis company does not care about their employees at all. they take every opportunity that they can find to nickel and dime you out of the pay that is rightfully yours. they make you work long hours for little pay. they make you leave for a business trip on sunday afternoon, and you don't come back until late friday night. so saturday is the only day you'll have at home. there in no training, and no room for advancement. the only times I ever talked to senior management- they were belittling or lying to me. I have worked for a lot of companies in the past, and this has by far the most toxic culture I have ever seen.

Advice to Senior Managementstop posting misleading positive reviews on glass door. It is obvious that all the positive reviews are fictitious because nothing they say is even remotely close to the truth.

On a Path Straight to the Bottom

(Former Employee)

ProsThe people in the trenches are easy to work with and are truly those who give the firm its value.

ConsThe childlike mentality of the senior management team is absolutely shocking. If you are liked, you will become a member of the firm’s inner circle and nothing you do will ever be framed in a negative light. If you are not liked, your accomplishments are minimized and seen as a threat to senior management, and will lead to your untimely exit.

This is an organization which takes employment at will to an entirely new level. Longtime loyal employees need to watch their backs after achieving a certain level of experience and salary. The Grim Reaper has frequently visited the offices of these employees in the interest of saving costs, while failing to recognize the value of these consultants to providing a superior level of client service. The number of people shown the door over the past 12 months is absolutely shocking! Some people in senior management, contrary to their words expressing regret, clearly enjoy carrying out the executions. Such a toxic environment is the logical end result when accountants are permitted to run a professional services firm.

Disagree with management? Rather than use criticism as an opportunity to initiate a healthy level of discussion, senior management’s approach is to terminate the person attempting to facilitate change for some contrived reason to eliminate dissent.

Using the firm's characteristic penny wise, pound foolish mentality, senior management grants very few employees unemployment benefits in connection with their separation, in order to save costs necessary to maintain their lavish lifestyles.

Another penny wise, pound foolish strategy relates to the amount permitted for meal expenses while travelling on the road for business. This guidance has not been revised in at least 30 years, and would require employees to eat at fast food restaurants in order to comply with the letter of the policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry keeping some of your most loyal and productive employees, if it is not already too late.

The guy running this country's operations has no prior experience running a valuation firm, and recent operating results should make that evident.

As long as this firm continues to be headquartered in Milwaukee and be run by Milwaukee-based employees, it will continue to flounder in mediocrity. An injection of reality from the outside is sorely needed.

The thud you hear shortly will be the firm hitting rock bottom in the absence of any change in direction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Appraiser

Associate Appraiser (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe experience looks good on the resume

ConsLack of team interaction, poor project scheduling, inefficient workflow plans, no training

Overall excellent people, terrible management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers and many traveling opportunities.

ConsShort-term thinking and no vision from management. The company appears to have no direction.
    The IT department is a disaster (extremely small for a company of this size and it is centralized in Milwaukee).

There is a constant sense that the company is about to be sold in the near future and people with over 15 years in the company will cash out and leave (probably taking the big clients with them).

Management has a centralized and small town mentality. You can't expect to be recognized outside of Milwaukee when you can't see past Milwaukee. It feels like a big town company, not a global company.

Each department solely focused on their own interests and there is a massive disconnect among the various sections of the company. The greatest example of this is the "Business Development Managers." These employees are purely focused on getting their commissions and, accordingly, will underbid projects in order to ensure that they get the client to sign on the dotted line. However, this puts pressure on the employees that actually work on the project and who are expected to deliver the final project on an unrealistic budget. When budgets are exceeded, management focuses on the employees working on the project and not the Business Development Managers who grossly underbid the project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside Milwaukee. Try getting new clients and avoid thinking that the old clients will never leave. Get BDM's to think about the company and not about their pockets.

Burn 'em and turn 'em!

Associate In FAMIS (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsHotel and Airline points.
    Your co-workers are good people, just watch out for management!

ConsPoor quality of life.
    Lack of training.
    Terrible management that will make your life a living Hell!

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees some respect!

GREAT!!!!

Associate Appraiser (Current Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity for young professionals to grow and get the experience that would be unavailable at a smaller appraisal firm.

ConsI have only been with the company for a few months but I truly have no downside and I do not see any in the near future. Great company with exceptional co-workers.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

American Appraisal is a good springboard.

Fixed Assets Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to travel the United States, and manage your own projects or work collectively with individuals from various offices.

ConsNot knowing when and where you will be. It can be very tough to plan your life when you do not know what city you will be in or when you will be home.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement does a great job of placing you on jobs that you would like to be on.

Senior Appraiser

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsAllow analysts to work on projects independently with minimal supervision.

ConsGrowth opportunities are limited. This company has been shrinking the last 10 years. Cutting costs and employees is the only thing that keeps them profitable. Have not kept up on new products and services. Have not provided a company match on it's 401K plan in the last 6 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSacrifice the short term profits and develop a good long term business plan.

Limited opportunity for advancement

Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsHelpul training. Good starting salary with little or no experience.

ConsVery little personal time. You are expected to work overtime and on weekends. Very little incentive for going above and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your employees for the work they do. Communicate better with employees and upper management on important engagement requirements.

Worked for American Appraisal? Contribute to the Community!