American Arbitration Association
www.adr.org New York, NY 500 to 999 Employees

American Arbitration Association Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014
American Arbitration Association – Boston – “AAA Boston Lobby”

India Johnson

Global leader in providing Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) services to individuals, government, and corporations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Arbitration Association

ProsFor the most part good benefits in the form of PTO, medical insurance coverage, short and long term disability. Their mission of service.

ConsCompensation lags significantly behind the private sector and management has made budget over the last 20 years by cutting staff and offices thus reducing the footprint. Little care has been paid to employee morale.

Case Administrator

Case Coordinator (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful opportunity to learn about alternative dispute resolution and work with outstanding arbitrators and mediators.

ConsToo much micro-managing. Upper management is completely unorganized and have no idea how to implement new procedures. There haven't been any raises for employees in 5 years. Employees are overworked and under paid. EEOC issues, such as sexual harassment, are not handled appropriately. Too much retaliation from management against employees. Too much lack of communication. Lots of lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of laying off your devout employees, start compensating them better, respecting them and rewarding them for their work. STOP MICRO-MANAGING!!! If you want to get rid of employees, GET RID OF THE USELESS VICE-PRESIDENTS and replace them with people who are more creative and fresh.

A mix of positive interaction with contract arbitrators and frustration with ineffective management team.

Mid Level Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent arbitrators, highly skilled and good people.

ConsA very ineffective management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what the organization's mission statement preaches. Listen to your employees rather than intimidate them.

The good colleagues, the bad management, and the ugly management.

Conciliator (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at American Arbitration Association full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people in the department are great to work with and share years of experience freely. Work life balance is incredible, 37.5 hour work week with occasional mandatory paid overtime.

ConsManagement varies from different divisions and offices so my views are related to the NYICMC office. NYICMC’s management is detached with the day to day operations. Most managers have not worked a caseload in many years and upper management have never done so. The majority of decisions are made from the top down without any opinions or feedback from employees who work directly with the clients.

Employee morale is extremely low and many in various departments are looking to leave. Currently, turnover is low but would change once the economy picks up. Upper management’s mentality must be oblivious to the morale as they still continue to say, “if you are not happy you are free to leave” at meetings. Even though there have not been any salary increases for the past 4, managers still expect employees to go above and beyond.

Corporate management may be better but from the discussions and interactions I had with them, it does not seem so. I would suggest if you are looking for a place to grow, AAA is not the company you go to. Supervisors and managers are rarely hired/promoted for their competency. Salaries are lower compared to the private sector with no benefits to balance it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better. Instead of looking outside for talent look inward and develop the employees that are top performers.

Poor management, stale ideas, shortsighted company.

Fresno, CA

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits, the hours and the paid lunch break.

ConsBad salary, nepotism, management resists change and new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the right people for the job, not the people you like best or threaten your position least.

Serve as appointed neutral on AAA National Roster of Neutrals - Commercial Arbitration to resolve contractual disputes.

I have been working at American Arbitration Association

ProsAAA is a globally respected and recognized alternative dispute resolution organization.

ConsSelection for case assignments should be increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to explore the use of technology to resolve disputes on a cost-effective basis.

Very good company to work for.

Fresno, CA

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Upfront and transparent with employees

Cons-Base pay has not been very good, however, they are making changes to the salary structure

Case Coordinator

Case Coordinator (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA learning experience in alternative dispute resolution, challenging, and an opportunity to learn how to resolve difficult issues.

ConsAdvancement in the company is based on popularity, not achievements. Sexual harassment complaints are not handled appropriately. Too much retaliation from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper and lower management need to learn how to be better leaders, mentors and provide better training to their employees. There needs to be better communication with the employees and less retaliation. They need to focus on providing a pleasant work environment so better results are achieved.

Could have been a great place to work

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work environment
Good work/life balance
Enjoyed my co-workers

ConsTerrible Management
Lack of professional development opportunities
No room for growth

Good job but they advance junior people and those who are "yes" people.

Case Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits & salary are OK. Great fellow employees. Interesting work. Great work/life balance with flexible schedule.

ConsManagement thinks its case managers are holding them back. They also tender to prefer the younger crowd and do not promote older workers as a rule. They are increasing the amount of management and executives every day and laying off case managers - the very people they need to do the work. They also changed the job titles to case administrator in our email signatures without telling us. New CEO seems bent on making the company more top-heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet good, experienced managers! Respect those who are doing the real work. Provide real bonuses and increases again, as employees are an investment.

Worked for American Arbitration Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Arbitration Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Arbitration Association CEO India Johnson. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by American Arbitration Association employees.