American Arbitration Association

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.8

India Johnson

Great company overall but the NYICMC leadership needs work

I have been working at American Arbitration Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company. Friendly coworkers and supervisors we've all become like family. The benefits are decent. We were updated on great new things to come. Corporate office are really accesible make you feel like you are being heard. Solid reputation and the work is interesting.

Cons

Speaking of their NYICMC upper management needs improvements. Favoritism is a big issue. No real room for growth within the center. Retaliation is also very apparent when things are not done within the time limits or how they want it done.

Great employee's, totally disconnected leaders

Current Employee - OSM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - OSM in New York, NY

I have been working at American Arbitration Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who are on the job and complete the everyday going on's in the company are very friendly and out going. They are sociable, helpful, friendly and for the most part great people to work with. You will meet many great people from all walks of life and experiences. Dealing with people from case management though the corporate environment will be pleasurable. The location offers up many great places to enjoy lunch and relax as there is a nice sitting park directly across the street from the building, there is also another great area to sit and enjoy down time a block away from the office.

Cons

In my experience it is said that they don't believe in micromanaging but that is a farce. From a overly involved director who you may share a paper thin wall with you who will absolutely put her ear to the wall or door to listen to any and all of your conversations and relay these 1/2 conversations and draw and fill in whatever blanks to suit her agenda. To the over bearing, wanting to fill her day with something to do executive assistant who will call you and email you 5 and 10 times a day about anything under the sun. To the totally disconnected and inept people who are supposed to be on your team and will swear that they have communicated or trained you on something that they clearly have not. To the no matter how many times you ask or have said something the will act completely oblivious to what was actually said but will not fall short of trying to chastise, condemn or talk down to you to make themselves feel complete and important to no one other than themselves or those they want to show how "in charge" they are. There is no room to make or bring about efficiencies, cost effectiveness or a cohesive environment because that would make way to much sense. These people want to see you work, work and work, no time for a joke or a smile because that means your wasting time.

Irregardless to the fact that you are non-profit it is no excuse for unprofessionalism or berating people who may have made a mistake. How about trying to treat the people who work with you like human beings, with respect and dignity and not like a sweat shop. You would bring about a refreshing change and would more than likely get more from your employee's who are voicing there opinions miles away from the office because they KNOW if it was heard they would immediately be targeted. Amazing how this company is settling issues for others but can't seem to see their own contradiction in persecuting and playing favorites.

Woefully out of touch

Former Employee - Case Manager in East Providence Center, RI
    Former Employee - Case Manager in East Providence Center, RI

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively few pros - if you are a quick study and enjoy the tedium of case administration, you will be well suited for the work.

Cons

Even by the company's most recent employee survey, more than 80% of employees covered under Title VII can not agree they are treated fairly.

Reshuffle the deck; get some new blood, forward thinkers, and diversity at every layer of your organization.

Loved my colleagues, but upper Management not so much!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits (but I heard they've changed to bare bones), great office environment, and I absolutely loved my colleagues.

Cons

Upper management doesn't give a hoot what the underlings (who actually execute the work) think or feel, and will make complete structure & downsize changes without consideration for those left to do the work. Every year you get more and more added to your plate with no raise.

Listen to your employees!!

Lot of case management and great experience!

Former Employee - International Case Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - International Case Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, management understands the trials of motherhood and having children vs. trying to work and allows for flexibility.

Cons

The case management is tedious. The pay is limited but the benefits (non profit) are pretty good.

More hands on training instead of trying to wrap it up in a week or two with various trainers.

AAA

Former Employee - Case Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have very affordable insurance and very generous vacation and sick time, although they do not allow you to accrue time.

Cons

Uneven distribution of work. Lack of growth, Micromanagement.

Be more fair and consistent.

Gain Corporate experience , horrible company culture.

I have been working at American Arbitration Association

Pros

experience, gain insurance knowledge, customer service, relationships, training

Cons

Company Culture, Company Values, Growth, Understanding, Personal growth

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

People, work environment, type of work, leadership is transparent.

Cons

Some managers could use people training, but the company seems to be addressing this.

The company is transitioning itself for the future by upgrading its IT infrastructure and services.

Former Employee - Oracle Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Oracle Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at American Arbitration Association as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people are very nice and easy to work with. There is a nice presence of company culture and values.

Cons

The management needs to work more on coordinating objectives and activities. Providing a sense of job security would be great considering the mismanagement of IT projects was not reassuring.

My first job out of college. It paid the bills.

Former Employee - Construction Case Manager
    Former Employee - Construction Case Manager

I worked at American Arbitration Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely no overtime. Very structured schedule.
    Quiet Office. Mostly cubicles. Case managers constantly on the phone, so not really a buzz/energy in the air. I didn't mind that.
    Low Stress. If you can learn not to make other people's problems your own, this is a great job to be able to walk away from at the end of the day. There were a couple of working moms who loved the environment. I see now why it was a great fit for them. Structured hours, not lots of birthday lunches, happy hours, overtime, or drama.
    I enjoyed learning about the construction industry. The arbitrators I worked with were engineers, architects, electricians, and lawyers. Interesting people. Can't say the same about AAA management.

Cons

Very poor office culture. Very distinct us and them between management and case managers.
    Constantly told case managers are replaceable. (That was my title.)
    Little opportunity for upward mobility within organization.
    Dull job overall.