American Audio Visual Center

Updated October 6, 2014
2.9

Jim Carlson

Sales and Production Manager

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly people who leave you alone and let you do your job

Cons

Lack of appreciation and very uncompetitive pay scale.

Start paying wages that are competitive to the competition. Having a bright cheery atmosphere to work in with managers who tell you what you want to hear, doesn't necessarily put groceries on the table or gas in your tank. If you want to lure the best people away from the competition, you have got to open the wallet. And start showing more appreciation regularly for your current employees. Regional Managers should be taking the staffs from each hotel out at least once a month or once a quarter for pizza or happy hour... Kudo newsletters just don't cut it. If Regionals don't have time, make time! The employees (Directors, Sales and Techs) are the face of this company; not the VP's, and they need to give back to the team more often or the team will go elsewhere.

Below standard opportunities masked with nice sounding titles

Former Employee - Director of Audio Visual in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Audio Visual in San Francisco, CA

I worked at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, good place to learn the ropes of the industry

Cons

Old equipment that never got replaced, lack of proper training, expected to perform the job of several people alone which meant long hours and weekends for mediocre pay not reflective of the job title

I heard so often about how much money the company was making, and how many new contracts they were getting. This information was officially presented during company meetings and newsletters. Yet the company was extremely slow in replacing old gear with new purchases. I found myself embarrassed numerous times when I had to set huge, clunky projectors, dirty drapes and fabrics, etc. for clients, whom more often than none made their displeasure known. Often times, customers demanded cuts to their rental fees, or their money back, due to old, faulty, high maintenance equipment.

At the same rate, many people within the company were subjected to service medium size hotels all on their own, putting in 14 hours or more a day on weekdays and weekends. Interestingly, a lot of money is put out to hire union technicians to help out, but that resource was never allocated to hiring more personnel. Same happened with having to sub-rent equipment because AAVC did not have decent gear to satisfy client's needs.

On top of all these, many people with "director" titles performed all duties pertaining to running a medium size hotel all on their own, including, sales, customer service, book keeping, accounting, set up, tear down, etc. Yet the salary rate of "directors" performing everything that an AV staff of 2 or 3 should be responsible for was sub-standard to industry.

I worked at AAVC for almost 9 years and this review is written 6 years after leaving the company. Yet, my review is in comparison with a lot of other reviews here at Glassdoor, which leads me to believe that not much has changed.

Look out!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

That it's a smaller company??? It's hard to remember any. I was promised a lot and none of it was true.

Cons

Very cliquey organization. Most that are higher up have been there for a long time. If you don't kiss butt, you are gone. My experience working there was overall a very shady one. Upper management would show up unannounced and expect to drop everything that you were working on. They tried to change my compensation plan only 3 months after I was hired.

Ok company to get your feet wet

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center full-time

Pros

Freedom of "working" at different hotels and resorts.

Cons

The pay is below industry standard. Advancement in the company doesn't seem as promising as I was told when i was hired. I was told I'd have an opportunity to learn and grow but that opportunity keeps getting put on hold. Job is basically manual labor.

More structured training program

Watch your back at AAVC.

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not many, depends on where you work and who your supervisor is

Cons

This is a very cliquey type company. It become apparent quickly that those that have progressed have brown nosed the most. The look at technicians as being "beneath" management.

Be professionals! This should not be a club for those that are in the inner circle. Listen to your employees, especially if they have new ideas or problems. Certain directors should check their ego at the door.

Good culture. Lots of opportunities

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of career development opportunities all over the USA and Canada. Constant new opportunities as AAVC opens new properties.

Cons

Hotel AV is always a strenuous environment. Not just with AAVC, but all companies, and I've worked for a few. AAVC will groom you into any position you wish as long as you make your career path known.

Equipment is a constant struggle. Making an investment into newer, more relevant gear would help drive sales as the environment evolves more and more into a high-definition, digital video, and video mapping mecca.

Investing in their own employees and equipment

I worked at American Audio Visual Center

Pros

Mostly nice people, but some don't listen to what you have to say.

Cons

Rely too much on hiring freelancers and sub renting equipment

Get with the times with what it takes to really gain customers and motivate employees.

Watch Your Back Here!

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center

Pros

Is one of the main AV companies in the Milwaukee and other areas.

Cons

Politics are huge here, it's not how much you know but the amount of butt you are willing to kiss. Some, not all, managers will throw their subordinates under the bus and District Manager that just "don't want to be bothered with it", will ignore the problems and keep the bad manager and lose the knowledgeable technicians.

See cons.

Really solid company, with a great niche in a tough marketplace

Current Employee - Director of Audio Visual
    Current Employee - Director of Audio Visual

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Individual owner (awesome), great marketing strategy, hire really good people. Remaking themselves as a company over the past five years. Healthy growth.

Cons

Lack of regional support because of time and money. Some talk, little action in employee development. Deep investment in technology.

Have your regional staff invest in their people more often. It's spread thin and I don't feel valued. I get little direction and growth advice on a daily or weekly basis

Very good Audio Visual Company, with Great Morals

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family owned company that takes pride in taking care of their employees.
    Smart business minded people

Cons

A little slow to grow, but this is a plus really as they are growing smart, not growing just to grow.

continue the strong spirit this company has with emphasis on customer service and not growth like some of those larger inefficient A/V companies. They neither care about the employees or customers like AAVC does.