American Audio Visual Center Reviews

21 reviews filtered by
3.1
Jim Carlson

1. Large Company That Started Local

I worked at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vast customer base that is continuously growing.

Cons

In slow times, will not hesitate to cut the almost non-existent fat. Meaning slicing hours and/or cutting jobs.

Take better care of your more seasoned employees, instead of going to freelancers.

2. I enjoy working for American Audio Visual Center and there seems to be plenty of work to go around.

Current Employee - AV Technician
    Current Employee - AV Technician

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center

Pros

Most of the people are fun to be around and work with. All seem to be driven to get the job done to the satisfaction of our clients. In some cases upper management pitches in to help. Equipment is good and employee knowledge of how to operate the equipment is pretty good. There always seems to be at least one person on a crew you can go to for help with an issue.

Cons

Keeping track of everyone on a shift is not easy. There are times when whole groups of people disappear during a set or strike only to reappear an hour later. Organization of needed supplies is often sub standard causing countless trips to retrieve missing items. Making 10 trips to get one missing item each happens often. Walking 8 or more miles to do this is not uncommon.

Train crews to be efficient and know what you want each person to do before the job begins or at least divide areas of responsibility up so the job gets done as quickly and as right as possible.

3. I have been at American AVC for over 10 years +

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can grow with in the company
    It is a family environment more than a job
    Training and support from the top down

Cons

Pay is a little low but the people make up for it
    Non matching 401k and benefits are not the best

I love this company and I happy working for them.

5. The good ol' boys of AV.

Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement Opportuntities, Great People, Responsive support during emergencies.

Cons

Low ball pay and expensive benifits, 2% match on 401k, disorganized, lack of communication, tired old gear, sold their souls to hotels so their employees constantly jump through hoops with minimal to no profits made.

Spend money to make money.

6. Employee Centered?

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smaller company that has some good people working for it

Cons

I've met multiple people who have not had a review or salary increase in over 5 years.

Don't sell to PS. Keep working at it. it could be great.

7. Below standard opportunities masked with nice sounding titles

Former Employee - Director of Audio Visual in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Audio Visual in San Francisco, CA

I worked at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, good place to learn the ropes of the industry

Cons

Old equipment that never got replaced, lack of proper training, expected to perform the job of several people alone which meant long hours and weekends for mediocre pay not reflective of the job title

I heard so often about how much money the company was making, and how many new contracts they were getting. This information was officially presented during company meetings and newsletters. Yet the company was extremely slow in replacing old gear with new purchases. I found myself embarrassed numerous times when I had to set huge, clunky projectors, dirty drapes and fabrics, etc. for clients, whom more often than none made their displeasure known. Often times, customers demanded cuts to their rental fees, or their money back, due to old, faulty, high maintenance equipment.

At the same rate, many people within the company were subjected to service medium size hotels all on their own, putting in 14 hours or more a day on weekdays and weekends. Interestingly, a lot of money is put out to hire union technicians to help out, but that resource was never allocated to hiring more personnel. Same happened with having to sub-rent equipment because AAVC did not have decent gear to satisfy client's needs.

On top of all these, many people with "director" titles performed all duties pertaining to running a medium size hotel all on their own, including, sales, customer service, book keeping, accounting, set up, tear down, etc. Yet the salary rate of "directors" performing everything that an AV staff of 2 or 3 should be responsible for was sub-standard to industry.

I worked at AAVC for almost 9 years and this review is written 6 years after leaving the company. Yet, my review is in comparison with a lot of other reviews here at Glassdoor, which leads me to believe that not much has changed.

8. Sales and Production Manager

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly people who leave you alone and let you do your job

Cons

Lack of appreciation and very uncompetitive pay scale.

Start paying wages that are competitive to the competition. Having a bright cheery atmosphere to work in with managers who tell you what you want to hear, doesn't necessarily put groceries on the table or gas in your tank. If you want to lure the best people away from the competition, you have got to open the wallet. And start showing more appreciation regularly for your current employees. Regional Managers should be taking the staffs from each hotel out at least once a month or once a quarter for pizza or happy hour... Kudo newsletters just don't cut it. If Regionals don't have time, make time! The employees (Directors, Sales and Techs) are the face of this company; not the VP's, and they need to give back to the team more often or the team will go elsewhere.

9. Look out!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at American Audio Visual Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

That it's a smaller company??? It's hard to remember any. I was promised a lot and none of it was true.

Cons

Very cliquey organization. Most that are higher up have been there for a long time. If you don't kiss butt, you are gone. My experience working there was overall a very shady one. Upper management would show up unannounced and expect to drop everything that you were working on. They tried to change my compensation plan only 3 months after I was hired.

10. Ok company to get your feet wet

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center full-time

Pros

Freedom of "working" at different hotels and resorts.

Cons

The pay is below industry standard. Advancement in the company doesn't seem as promising as I was told when i was hired. I was told I'd have an opportunity to learn and grow but that opportunity keeps getting put on hold. Job is basically manual labor.

More structured training program

11. Watch your back at AAVC.

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at American Audio Visual Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not many, depends on where you work and who your supervisor is

Cons

This is a very cliquey type company. It become apparent quickly that those that have progressed have brown nosed the most. The look at technicians as being "beneath" management.

Be professionals! This should not be a club for those that are in the inner circle. Listen to your employees, especially if they have new ideas or problems. Certain directors should check their ego at the door.