American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet

Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice offices and good training opportunities for employees(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management treats call center employees like slaves working in a sweat shop(in 9 reviews)

• Senior management had no idea about the working conditions in their department(in 8 reviews)

Conservative Company

Senior Ops Analyst (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsClose to home and friendly co-workers

ConsExpect & demand too much work but not enough resources. No training on job......

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to work with employees to help them develop.

Proseasy life, hourly pay, rewards

Conslow pay, high speed, no team

Company still treats the "Underlings" like it's the 1900's

Customer Advocate I (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsPaid vacation hours, sick days, 401k, "meh" benefits.

ConsWhile they do give paid vacation hours, you receive 2 sick “credits” every six months if you are full time. These credits are good for one time each up to three days in a row.

Due to risk of termination, coworkers will come in to work when they are ill instead of calling in, risking the health of other coworkers (desks are partially separated by walls that are roughly 3 feet tall).

Company has been around for approximately 100 years and they have extensive knowledge about how busy it gets in the winter and summer, yet they continue to hire employees only twice a year even with a high turnover rate (I believe it was 72% last I checked) and when we can take upwards of over a million calls in a year.

They reduce and/or remove lunches and breaks during busy times and when asked if they felt it was moral to do such a thing (asked due to having a required class on morality in the workplace) they answered with, “Moral or not, it’s legal”

While there is no set script, there is a list of over a dozen things we are required to say in order to “certify” calls, if a certain number of calls do not “certify” within the month we can be reprimanded and/or eventually terminated due to failure of certification.

As well as the certification of calls, we are required to have a certain percentage of “total customer satisfaction” they use a third party to send surveys through e-mail. It is an all or none system, if the customer is not completely 100% satisfied; if they are even 99% satisfied it is considered a failure and can again be reprimanded up to termination.

Even though they are a 24 hour business, AAA hires part-time temporary positions and you can work up to being a full-time permanent employee. It was not disclosed but I assume the reasoning behind that is to avoid paying for benefits and not have to pay holiday pay either.

They have regional managers, district managers, department managers, and supervisors, as well as a QA department, all in one office. The only other company that I have worked for that micromanages at that level is Wal-Mart.

Due to the fact we handle personal information (addresses, credit card information) there are strict rules in place to not have your cell phone or any recording device out, as well as not leaving with papers, etc… It is not enforced in the slightest and I have seen coworkers on their cell phone while speaking with a member.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times, with so many other companies doing roadside assistance (BP, state farm, etc...) You no longer have a monopoly on the service.

And stop saying you're a non-profit organization!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

attention licensed insurance agents interested in a solid company to work for

Licensed Insurance Agent Property & Casualty (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat team working relationships while helping consumers secure quality AAA insurance products

ConsRequired weekend work for production

Advice to Senior Managementrestore flexible work credit for weekend over time work

Accounting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, bonuses, medical, perks, etc

ConsUnfair management doesn't care about employees

Very good company

Fleet Driver Light Service (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsGreat supervisors and training opportunities give you skills that not many mom and pop companies can offer.

ConsRevamp the pay scale. The pay scale is severely confusing and based on number of calls/tows/batteries you sell. Even with the bonus, the pay is not enough to live off of. 10.30 an hour is lower than some fast food chains.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action and pay the guys more, they deserve at least 13.00 an hour for the amount of work we have to do.

Great pay & bonus

Dispatcher (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsFlexible work schedule..fun place to work

ConsLazy AAA contractors not running calls!

Advice to Senior ManagementHold contractors to running their calls or find new ones!

Horrible company since the merger took over!!! They do not value their employees at all.

Claims Representative (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsLove the employees there. Also, you have some freedom and are not really micromanaged, depending on the manager.

ConsTerrible benefits, terrible claims handling practices, no training department/plan, dinosaur computer systems, you never have the tools needed to complete your every day job functions, promised things which never happen. Lots of "behind your back" talking by management. TERRIBLE BONUSES! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!! TERRIBLE HIRING DECISIONS!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay what people are really worth, express interest in those who are of value to the company, reward those who work the hardest for you, hire employees that actually have a brain ... or better yet experience. Oh, and background checks on new hire candidates would be nice too! Half of the people you are hiring have been FIRED from their prior companies and are lying to you about it!!!! Promote within.

Good company/Almost impossible to advance

Dispatcher (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsAAASNE is a good starting point to start a job after highschool or even college. Benefits are fantastic and the atmosphere is great as well.

ConsThe pay is not that good and advancing is very difficult. There are too many managers overseeing your day to day assignments

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a little more respect to the employees working under you

Good company, no direction

Travel Agent (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTalented coworkers, ok benefits, normal 9 to 6 schedule, offer bus passes for employees who don't drive to work.

ConsNo direction, forced to sell specific products when others might meet member needs, forced to sell credit cards regardless of member needs, no answers from upper management, frequent changes in compensation plans and no answers to questions about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees. Guessing what we had to do every day and what policies might be changing. Have answers to questions. Don't go for immediate fixes and instead do some research and find out what will work best.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!