American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com
  www.aaa.com

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews in Dearborn, MI

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet
Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• They do have good benefits and nice coworkers (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management staff is completely unhelpful (in 13 reviews)

• Lack of communication between leaders results in finger pointing and lies ending with agents taking the fall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience at AAA was phenomenal.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Dearborn, MI

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company has great employees. They are great team players and they also have excellent customer service skills. Company knowledge and great performance is a must while working there. In addition you must value yourself and others, be consistent, proactive, polite, and know how to work in a team and on your own. Compensation was great.

Cons

In every company there is room for improvement. My training went by really fast, I never had the ability to move up because it was my first summer job. I also think because if the economy at the time they had to let most of us go.

Even though you may have a busy schedule, do not rush through training. I was compensated very well there and I also enjoyed my time here. It is one out of two jobs that I am mostly proud of.

Call Center Employee

Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service (Call Center) in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service (Call Center) in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-AAA has solid benefits- provided you are eligible for them.

-The company is not for profit, which means that you don't have to sell to customers and that the company goal is not more profit, but successfully helping customers.

Cons

- You are constantly micromanaged/recorded. Everything, from call time, "after call work" and even bathroom breaks is strictly recorded and criticised.

- The grading scale for CSR evaluation is somewhat unfair. One mistake in certain categories can result in 20 percent or more being deducted from your score. This, added to the performance goal of 92 percent, perceivably reduces your margin of error to zero.

- During spans of weeks to months, your phone will go off constantly, increasing your workload and decreasing your call quality. This is the worst part of the job- being overwhelmed with work constantly.

- Give us a chance to succeed by overhauling point scales for evaluation and being lenient when needed.

- Go to bat for us in regards to pay. We in the call center are essentially being underpaid due to our responsibilities in the insurance industry.

Find a way not to strangle us by micromanaging our whereabouts during every second of the day.

Behind the times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time

Pros

The supportive staff throughout the company are incredibly helpful. The CEO seems to be better in tune with the needs/wants of the employees than most management.

Cons

The systems are old and outdated (just upgraded to Windows 7 and Microsoft 2010). The phone system is old (cannot forward messages to email or listen to them via email). The upper management staff is completely unhelpful. The salaries paid to the support staff are extremely low, especially for the amount of work support staff takes on. The AOB building in Dearborn is itself ancient, with elevators that break down regularly and no easy access to an alternative method of going upstairs (I feel badly for those in wheelchairs/scooters or with foot/leg issues). This company is a classic example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Interdepartmental communications are convoluted and sparse. And, there are those in upper management who do not respect their employees nor their employees' right to a life outside of work. And, the lack of refrigerators for employees to bring in their own lunches from home is atrocious. Yes, there are a lot of employees. But, if there were one refrigerator per department (actually placed in that department), it would be incredibly helpful. Especially to those who are underpaid and can't afford the minimum $8 per day that it takes to eat in the cafeteria.

Upgrade everything. The company cannot expect to stay competitive in the market, despite getting it's hands into banking and whatnot, if the company does not obtain and use the latest technology. I think the company would benefit from outsourcing it's IT department. The biggest problem, and this is as a member, is that when someone contacts the call center, they should expect to have their issue resolved with one phone call, with some kind of written proof that it was done. Name and address changes are a joke to get done. 2 different systems and neither talks to the other. If a member has homeowners/renters insurance and auto insurance (God help them if they have multiple autos), name/address changes have to be submitted in both systems to have them take effect properly. And, the change also needs to be put through on the proof of insurance, too. Getting that in writing is not easy. And, when the member goes to change their information with the Secretary of State and can't because the proof of insurance is under the wrong name, it's incredibly inconvenient for the member. Especially if that member is a AAA employee and the clerk at the SoS knows it. And, give support staff a $10k per year raise. They do more than you know. AAA has branded itself well enough that the business will continue to grow, and for those who do have coverage through AAA the rates are less expensive than anywhere else. However, the dissatisfaction members feel when contacting the call center will force some to seek insurance elsewhere, despite the price difference.

AAA, A...OK

Current Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall great company
    Lots of Opportunity to grow

Cons

LOTS of training that still doesn't fully prepare you.

Its ok

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dearborn, MI

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent hours and benefits.
    Flex time, IF your boss allows it......

Cons

Mico managers. Executive leadership does not want to hear the truth of things...antiquated business practices. They want and expect to grow but refuse to do proper 21st century marketing. Still counting on word of mouth and brand recognition.

Get your head out of the sand. Treat team right....LISTEN to the TRUTH! change your marketing....wait, wrong words.......DEVELOP a MARKETING plan in line with 21st century....

I am resposnible for determining and setting policies/procedures as related to employee relations, recruiting.

Current Employee - Employee Relations in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Employee Relations in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and work life balance is excellent

Cons

I do not have any cons to provide

Historically a great company and household name, changing for the worst rapidly.

Former Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Dearborn, MI

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid company to work for has some form of job security and provides a good pension along with good benefits offered.

Cons

Management team a bit inept and lacks full leadership. Quite often you find yourself being micro-managed for the simplest of task. Income leaves a lot to be desired and little if any chance for career advancement.

Management should lighten up when it comes to overseeing basic task, which drains the morale of the employee.

A difficult Place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company! Really trying to make it into the 21st century.

Cons

The management in the claims department is AWFUL!! They are negative,rude, crude and down right nasty. Supervisors and managemant have improper intimate relationships with each other.

You need to clean house in the claims department with the supervisors and upper management.

It was simply AWESOME working at AAA !! We had many in hose activities such as Halloween parties & Bar B Q's

Former Employee - Emergency Roadside Representative in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Emergency Roadside Representative in Dearborn, MI

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the HQ in Dearborn , Mi & I liked the food bar in the building along with the credit union

Cons

They employed so many people that parking was a disaster !! Other than that nothing to complain about

Keep doing a wonderful job of caring about your employees , because we sure care about you all !!

Friendly company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very cool client. low pressure environment

Cons

Technologies are not up-to date. We still use Java 1.4

Need to have some software methodology to deliver products more efficiently

American Automobile Association (AAA) Photos