American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews in Dearborn, MI

Updated Jul 18, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet

Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice offices and good training opportunities for employees(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management treats call center employees like slaves working in a sweat shop(in 9 reviews)

• Senior management had no idea about the working conditions in their department(in 8 reviews)

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I am resposnible for determining and setting policies/procedures as related to employee relations, recruiting.

Employee Relations (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsThe culture and work life balance is excellent

ConsI do not have any cons to provide

A difficult Place to work!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsGreat company! Really trying to make it into the 21st century.

ConsThe management in the claims department is AWFUL!! They are negative,rude, crude and down right nasty. Supervisors and managemant have improper intimate relationships with each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to clean house in the claims department with the supervisors and upper management.

It was simply AWESOME working at AAA !! We had many in hose activities such as Halloween parties & Bar B Q's

Emergency Roadside Representative (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsI worked at the HQ in Dearborn , Mi & I liked the food bar in the building along with the credit union

ConsThey employed so many people that parking was a disaster !! Other than that nothing to complain about

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a wonderful job of caring about your employees , because we sure care about you all !!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsVery cool client. low pressure environment

ConsTechnologies are not up-to date. We still use Java 1.4

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have some software methodology to deliver products more efficiently

Overworked and Underpaid; Culture/Policies Breed Mediocrity

(Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsThis AAA conglomerate of several clubs under the ACG name has its headquarters in Dearborn, MI with a variety of corporate depts, positions, and experiences, yet is small enough to be a manageable company to run. If you like the corporate world but don't want to be completely lost in a sea of thousands of employees in a massive corporation, this is a good middle ground.

Most employees are good folks, intelligent, and tend to become like extended family over time. Benefits are decent. Vacation time allotment appears to be above-average (that's one major way they get people to stay--"where am I going to go and get 6 wks vacation time?") Pay can be reasonable but depends on how you play your cards when you join the company. Once you're in, pay policies are rigid and you have to leave the company to make financial traction in your career (promotions do not equate to meaningful increases in pay.)

ConsMorale is extremely poor and has worsened over the years since the last CEO came on board. Old-timers will all say it used to be a fun, family company but it's not like that anymore. There is little incentive to be a high performer because working your tail off for that "exceeds expectations" rating is only going to get you 1% more in terms of an annual raise (when they're giving them out) than the waste of space in the next cubicle who surfs the net and does personal business all day long.

There is a palpable negative energy in the work environment and it's become an "every man for himself" culture. Very political esp. in higher ranks and survival depends on how well the game is played, not on how well the job is executed. Middle-mgmt is not willing to go too far out on a limb for subordinates because they're always worried first about their own jobs (Massive JE's have occurred on an almost biannual basis since CEO arrived.) Over the span of a dozen years since the CEO took over, there was this sense that dark clouds were moving in and they just settled over the company. The CEO in one decade has changed his executive leadership team so many times, you can't keep it straight. There appears to be no strategy or well-thought out plan. It just changes with the wind. (Thank goodness the CEO provided copies of "Who Moved My Cheese" to all management to prepare everyone for all these changes.)

HR Sr. VP was quoted in a town hall meeting as saying (in response to negative comments about pay/benefits issues): "If you don't like it here, you can find another job elsewhere." It's easy to say that when the unemployment rate is high but what happens when it turns around and then your most talented people hightail it out of there for being undervalued and treated as dispensable?

Finally, ACG is OLD school, run by old (typically white) men. Things like work/life balance, telecommuting, and flexible work schedules are virtually non-existent. More progressive, forward-thinking companies recognize the numerous benefits of offering these programs: employee satisfaction, decreased real-estate expenses, increased productivity and employee loyalty. Even our country's leaders have put legislation into place that encourages this because it just makes good sense (..."if all U.S. white-collar workers teleworked only two days a week, the country would conserve over 233 million gallons of fuel each week..."). ACG is always 10 steps (or more) behind everyone else with policies, products, innovation, and just basic business practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to retire CHP. You've made your mark, let someone else take the reins and give employees a reason to WANT to come into work each day. Would be nice if the Board recognized that there is more to running a good company than how many AAA clubs can be acquired in one decade. AAA is becoming irrelevant and not keeping pace with changing times. Younger, talented fresh blood is needed to help reinvent and reinvigorate this company.

AAA Michigan offers good benefits but falls far behind in advancement opportunities and diversity.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsBenefits and generous time off.

ConsVery little diversity. It's an old-boy's network as far as upper management is concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving all of your diversity in your call centers does not constitute corporate diversity.

Only been there 1month but so far I think I've made a good decision

Support Assistant (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsTraining, benefits, co-workers are nice, work atmosphere not as esthetically please as hdqtrs, but adequate

ConsAs with every new job: It took a few days for computer to be hooked up correctly. The training I was required to take familiarized me with the software but did not how to do my job. My job is complicated. My training should have been in a class room setting but instead I was trained by sitting with one of my co-workers while they told me what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be people who are experienced and versed in the department they manage.

Unsettling; too much complaining and incompetent management My office had 5 managers in 4 years.

Insurance Sales (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsGood benefits and the company provides many excellent services and products.

ConsToo many tiers of management transfers to too much time filling out reports and leaving paper trail for everything we do. Typpical large corporation being out of touch with local branch needs, great people and day to day operations

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce levels of reporting and remember you have caring experienced human beings working positivly to represent the company. Too many employees are neglected and positive outcomes go un recognized

Supervisors need some help!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsThe location in Dearborn is very beautiful.

ConsWhere to begin! I felt like I was chained to my desk even when I went on break. It was a horrible feeling to know that you only have 30 minutes to eat your lunch, I would just stay at my desk., I felt like a slave on a sinking ship and the dumb numerous supervisors were of NO help!

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors should Not be allowed to be dumb. They are the ones that should have the answers or at least know where to look for them not another person on your team!

Way behind the times...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsAs heard by many employees: "It's a paycheck and bennies".

ConsThis company is as behind the times as any I've seen. Lodged somewhere in the 1960's, they are archaic -- from their culture to their technology. Employees are kept on staff for 20, 30, even 40 years with little attempt to update their skills -- many are shuffled around the organization and "re-purposed". Dress codes are antiquated, work areas are strictly policed by H.R., and reprimands to offenders are swift. Employees (including middle management) are micro-managed, and nobody is empowered to make decisions. Change-agents in specific fields are periodically hired, but never to make lasting changes -- more to clean up and fix departments that have languished for years and have broken down.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 21st century -- Apply basic management methods from more progressive companies. Train, coach and empower your workforce to manage their tasks efficiently, and with pride.

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!