American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com

Reset
2.0
American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet
Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • Good work life balance and great snacks (in 14 reviews)

• They do have good benefits and nice coworkers (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No support from upper management (in 13 reviews)

• Lack of communication between leaders results in finger pointing and lies ending with agents taking the fall (in 5 reviews)

1. AAA, A...OK

Current Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall great company
    Lots of Opportunity to grow

Cons

LOTS of training that still doesn't fully prepare you.

Outdated and not relevant

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits at one time. Free membership added as taxed income. If you like micromanagement and not to be trusted, this may be a job for you

Cons

Low pay, not much paid time off, out dated technology, 'free membership' but taxed as income, many workers here because they were grandfathered into pension, micro managed, employees are treated as an expense yet this is a nonprofit organization, you won't learn any new skills, no teleworking..... AAA expects a lot more from its employees and gives little in return

Advice to Management

Increase pay to market value, buy better technology to help employees and members, treat employees right and they'll treat members right

3. Not enough pay

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, stable, reliable , always open

Cons

Doesn't pay good , micromanagement,

5. Expect to be overworked and under paid.

Current Employee - Licensed Call Center Advocate in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Call Center Advocate in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

If you are hired as a Call Center Agent and you do not have your property and casualty license, AAA will pay for your license but you must stay with the company for at least a year to avoid pay them back. The yearly bonus, which are based on the company performance, are good. Also, the AAA Membership is reduced. You will have an opportunity to bid for a different shift time based on your performance.

Cons

AAA is very inconsistent. The policies and procedures change from day to day and is based upon how much money the company makes. As an employee you have to wait 2 years before you can move into another position. Salary is very subpar based on the amount of work you have to do as a licensed call center agent. Especially since you have to clean up the NUMEROUS MISTAKES of the incompetent AAA Agents, who the company seems to praise. The phone system is HORRIBLE. The new call monitoring process is too subjective. The call center is open on Saturday to take calls from the rudest customers who work Monday-Friday. Some of the customers can be rude, nasty, and very condesending if you allow them to be.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep quality employees then YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM, especially in the call center.

Call Center Employee

Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service (Call Center) in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service (Call Center) in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-AAA has solid benefits- provided you are eligible for them.

-The company is not for profit, which means that you don't have to sell to customers and that the company goal is not more profit, but successfully helping customers.

Cons

- You are constantly micromanaged/recorded. Everything, from call time, "after call work" and even bathroom breaks is strictly recorded and criticised.

- The grading scale for CSR evaluation is somewhat unfair. One mistake in certain categories can result in 20 percent or more being deducted from your score. This, added to the performance goal of 92 percent, perceivably reduces your margin of error to zero.

- During spans of weeks to months, your phone will go off constantly, increasing your workload and decreasing your call quality. This is the worst part of the job- being overwhelmed with work constantly.

Advice to Management

- Give us a chance to succeed by overhauling point scales for evaluation and being lenient when needed.

- Go to bat for us in regards to pay. We in the call center are essentially being underpaid due to our responsibilities in the insurance industry.

Find a way not to strangle us by micromanaging our whereabouts during every second of the day.

7. Terrible!!!

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Dearborn, MI

Pros

Pay and benefits are average

Cons

Management is totally clueless! There are no team players and it's every woman or man for themselves. Employees who have worked there 35 or 40 years need to go!!!! Not willing to show New people the ropes and are totally clueless with technology.

Advice to Management

Care a little more about your staff instead making sure you make it on the presidents elite cruise!

Behind the times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time

Pros

The supportive staff throughout the company are incredibly helpful. The CEO seems to be better in tune with the needs/wants of the employees than most management.

Cons

The systems are old and outdated (just upgraded to Windows 7 and Microsoft 2010). The phone system is old (cannot forward messages to email or listen to them via email). The upper management staff is completely unhelpful. The salaries paid to the support staff are extremely low, especially for the amount of work support staff takes on. The AOB building in Dearborn is itself ancient, with elevators that break down regularly and no easy access to an alternative method of going upstairs (I feel badly for those in wheelchairs/scooters or with foot/leg issues). This company is a classic example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Interdepartmental communications are convoluted and sparse. And, there are those in upper management who do not respect their employees nor their employees' right to a life outside of work. And, the lack of refrigerators for employees to bring in their own lunches from home is atrocious. Yes, there are a lot of employees. But, if there were one refrigerator per department (actually placed in that department), it would be incredibly helpful. Especially to those who are underpaid and can't afford the minimum $8 per day that it takes to eat in the cafeteria.

Advice to Management

Upgrade everything. The company cannot expect to stay competitive in the market, despite getting it's hands into banking and whatnot, if the company does not obtain and use the latest technology. I think the company would benefit from outsourcing it's IT department. The biggest problem, and this is as a member, is that when someone contacts the call center, they should expect to have their issue resolved with one phone call, with some kind of written proof that it was done. Name and address changes are a joke to get done. 2 different systems and neither talks to the other. If a member has homeowners/renters insurance and auto insurance (God help them if they have multiple autos), name/address changes have to be submitted in both systems to have them take effect properly. And, the change also needs to be put through on the proof of insurance, too. Getting that in writing is not easy. And, when the member goes to change their information with the Secretary of State and can't because the proof of insurance is under the wrong name, it's incredibly inconvenient for the member. Especially if that member is a AAA employee and the clerk at the SoS knows it. And, give support staff a $10k per year raise. They do more than you know. AAA has branded itself well enough that the business will continue to grow, and for those who do have coverage through AAA the rates are less expensive than anywhere else. However, the dissatisfaction members feel when contacting the call center will force some to seek insurance elsewhere, despite the price difference.

9. My experience at AAA was phenomenal.

Former Intern - Member Service Representative in Dearborn, MI
    Former Intern - Member Service Representative in Dearborn, MI

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has great employees. They are great team players and they also have excellent customer service skills. Company knowledge and great performance is a must while working there. In addition you must value yourself and others, be consistent, proactive, polite, and know how to work in a team and on your own. Compensation was great.

Cons

In every company there is room for improvement. My training went by really fast, I never had the ability to move up because it was my first summer job. I also think because if the economy at the time they had to let most of us go.

Advice to Management

Even though you may have a busy schedule, do not rush through training. I was compensated very well there and I also enjoyed my time here. It is one out of two jobs that I am mostly proud of.

10. Its ok

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dearborn, MI

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent hours and benefits.
    Flex time, IF your boss allows it......

Cons

Mico managers. Executive leadership does not want to hear the truth of things...antiquated business practices. They want and expect to grow but refuse to do proper 21st century marketing. Still counting on word of mouth and brand recognition.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand. Treat team right....LISTEN to the TRUTH! change your marketing....wait, wrong words.......DEVELOP a MARKETING plan in line with 21st century....

11. I am resposnible for determining and setting policies/procedures as related to employee relations, recruiting.

Current Employee - Employee Relations in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Employee Relations in Dearborn, MI

Pros

The culture and work life balance is excellent

Cons

I do not have any cons to provide

RSS Feed </> Embed