American Automobile Association (AAA)
www.aaa.com Heathrow, FL 500 to 999 Employees

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews in Heathrow, FL

Updated Feb 10, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet

Robert L. Darbelnet

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly, comfortable environment.

AAA National Office (Former Employee)
Heathrow, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people you work with are some of the best reasons.

ConsThe organization is a little bit top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and value your employees...let them know you appreciate them and all they do to make you look good!

Bully management, poor team environment

IOS Developer (Former Employee)
Heathrow, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPay is good for contractors

ConsCompany doesn't have a direction on building their products

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone quit their job and put their notice to finish in good terms, it looks very bad to terminate their contract right away because of it.

Flexible hours are also encourage and please add a kitchen space for people to bring their food from home instead buying the food from your cafeteria.

Started my career at AAA and had a great learning and work experience

Director (Former Employee)
Heathrow, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, Great people to work with, Always trying to stay current in all of its policies and technology initiatives. Good work Life balance and a good community partner.

ConsThere are always some things that different people don't always agree with at any company. In this case there is nothing that is systemic in nature or that warrants a major change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stay current in all aspects of the business climate.

I was a contractor working at AAA in the Action Center/E-Marketing Dept.

Email Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time

ProsSome of the people outside of my department were very nice.

ConsVery poor management. Manager claimed she did not believe in micromanaging, but she did every day.

Strange robotic and retro place

Specialist (Former Employee)
Heathrow, FL

ProsSalary and benefits, cafeteria, building

ConsMany useless or outdated services lead to strange environment where CYA and meaningless ritualistic communication is the norm. Old guard management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Great company to work for

Applications Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsGreat benefits package and every employee has an opinion that is valued. The business is helping other people out of a jam - road service. It's very rewarding to know that you are a part of a company that exists to help out others.

ConsTenure of employees averages over 10 years. This means that people stay with the company because the company is a great place to work for, however, this also means there are few opportunities for advancing your career.

Great Benefits, but tendency to stick with the norm even if the norm is from 1995

Applications Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros- Great Benefits package that gets greater the longer you are there (first 5 years you get 6.5 hours off every 2 weeks, but after 30+ years you get 12 hours off every two weeks). It steps up every 5 years.
- Great work-life balance. If you need time off, you will get it. If you need to go to the doctor you will be allowed to go. If you get there before 9am, you will be only one there. If you stay after 5pm, you will be the only one there.
- Yearly bonus package up to 4 weeks of salary. It will never be a full 4 weeks as it is based on company financials and your performance. Your performance is purely subjective and everyone will come out and say that upper management does not like to see anyone getting the full amount. So even though you can get 4 weeks technically, do not hold your breath.
- The Lake Mary/Heathrow area is awesome.
- Most of the coworkers are very fun. And some of the smartest people around.

Cons- There is a habit of sticking with the norm, and the norm is 10-15 years outdated. This means you will write code in Visual Studio from 1998 and be occasionally asked to write Java 1.1 code because they cannot update to a newer flavor due to being shackled to hardware vendors.
- Your immediate manager will more than likely be incompetent and lack necessary soft skills. Sure, he would have been a good programmer, but will be a very ineffective manager.
- Your manager will not be open to new suggestions to change things, even if it is just to make a prototype. If you want something developed for the better good of the company, you have to do it in your spare time. And even after you do it in your spare time, you better take it to your manager's boss instead of just your manager.
- You will be constantly doing the job of Club Support, so I hope you like support work.
- It will take weeks if not months to get anything done, even if management has approved. The sea of red tape is overly much. Talk of changing any of these policies so signatures are done online instead of slow inter-office mail will fall on deaf ears. After all, this was the norm 15 years ago.
- The equipment is horrible. Your computer will be 6 years old and have a 40GB hard drive. It will take it 30 minutes to start up, but you will be required to shut down every night and start every morning to save power. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes every morning staring at the computer screen waiting for it to boot. The chairs also do not have backs and are 10 years old. There was a chair-sale 5 years ago and the ones people didn't buy due to them being in such bad shape are now the ones you will be required to sit in for meetings and while at your cube. So many people complain of back pains they just bring their own chairs in and chain them down so they cant be stolen.
- The pay is a lot lower than jobs you would find elsewhere.
- The turnover is very high. If you stay 4 years you are an old timer.
- You will be asked to do something, and then when you get halfway into it the requirements are changed. And I don't mean tweaked, I mean completely changed. And thats if the project is not scrapped completely. A big joke is that we move 90mph, but most of that time is spent going sideways instead of forward to real progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementA serious look needs to be taken at middle management and effectively evaluated on a quarterly basis. I would also recommend the upper management meet individually with the team members sans manager to find out what things could be improved upon. Communication does not flow up or down very well at all.

The most chaotic environment I ever worked in

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
Heathrow, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsThey give you time off whenever you ask
They monitor when you come and go
The pay rate is very good
You get a lot of free stuff (promotional items)

ConsMy manager wrote me up based on hearsay. Only time I was written up at work in 15 years.
They expect people who work in tech support to put in overtime without pay and lots of it.
They really have no idea how to run a tech support department. I know because I had previously worked in one of the best tech support organizations in the country. AAA didn't want me to share any of my knowledge about that though. It is their way or the highway.
They are like a big monopoly so they don't really care about good customer service on the tech side. They constantly brag in meetings about how only the Catholic Church has more members. They basically feel like their customers will take whatever they give because they have no alternative (which is wrong but I guess their customer base has never heard of travelocity or google maps or can't figure out how to use those things)

Advice to Senior ManagementEducate yourself so you actually now enough about the technologies your people support.
Get some experience in the field you are actually managing.
Never beat your employees up verbally or with bogus reprimands.
Don't come to work late 1 hour or more at least once per day every week. It sets a bad example.

My personal growth was nurtured by my supervisors and co-workers.

Member Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsWorking for national corporation has it's perks in higher salaries and better benefits. But the feeling of being part of a team was an unexpected benefit.

ConsThe only con I can think of was that we weren't very busy in our department and had quite a bit of down time. I guess that's a good thing considering we handled complaints and problems.

Review

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsGood compensation, pretty good job security, and above average benefits (health insurance, vacations, 401k matching, PTO, etc). Nice building and location.

ConsDemanding customers (internal, ie "clubs"), unrealistic expectations, stagnation. Very long hours, no work / life balance. Slow to change even when change is demanded by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making unrealistic promises to (internal) customers and/or give middle management the number of employees and technology they need to deliver on said promises.

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Automobile Association (AAA) reviews and ratings in Heathrow, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Automobile Association (AAA) CEO Robert L. Darbelnet. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by American Automobile Association (AAA) employees.