American Automobile Association (AAA)
www.aaa.com Heathrow, FL 500 to 999 Employees

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews in Irving, TX

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet

Robert L. Darbelnet

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

large stable entity

Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than a year

Proslots of sales training. Supportive trainers. Great name recognition. the Membership people LOVE as it is the best in the emergency roadside business. Still offers a pension plan. Managers are approachable. Central location. Free Gym Membership. Complicated pay plan, but if you learn how to maximize it it pays off. Employees treated with respect, no shouting or cursing at from management. The top manager of sales actually cares about his staff. no tolerance for anyone unethical.

ConsComputers that still use DOS. Managers have great job security as they are the few who still remember how to use the old software to do everything. Pension, but no residuals. End-Of-the -month-itis, everything goes nuts at the end of the month scrambling to make goal. Everyone has to work all weekend. Commissioned sales, but you still have to clock in and out. Advertisements talk about lower price yet AAA is usually higher. (though AAA has more to offer, its hard to explain to general public).

Advice to Senior ManagementTime with family is important too.

No future

Dispatcher (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou really learn to work as a team in the dispatch department.

ConsNo one was on the same page about anything as far as the policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanagement

Stable

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company that has been around for more than 100 years. No layoffs during my entire tenure with the company.

ConsManagement is slow to respond to some employee issues. Managment's intentions are very good, however; AAA is a tradition based company that is not starting to move in to the 21st century.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more proactive approach to employee morale and issues.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just a stepping stone.

Auto Claims Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsGood place to get started into claims.
Friendly coworkers.
Clean facilities with nice overpriced cafeteria on ground floor.
Covered parking is a plus.
On site gym.

ConsShort sighted management preventing communication to department head.
Management not all on same page - can get 5 different answers to one question.
Job performance based off of customer satisfaction which leads to either doing the job you have been trained to do and getting a bad survey or "overlooking certain issues" to try to make sure insured is satisfied to get a good survey.
Underpaid for job done.
Will be hired as a Level 1 claims rep but be expected to do level 2-3 claims all day with no increase in pay.
Limited level 3 positions available - once promoted to level 2 claims rep, only next move is to try a lateral promotion to another department to proceed to climb ladder.
Low employee moral.
Requires employee badge to go to the restroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication.
Listen to employee concerns.
Train new hires quicker instead of the 3-6 month course to get them up to taking claims.

great at first and has now declined

Membership Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible with attendance
location
quarterly incentive
cafe onsite
friendly coworkers

ConsSurveys on agents are biased
Big wigs wont do anything to change it
only one person is allowed on Monday
Slow at promoting
turnover is high

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of sterling, when offering different positions be fair and post so everyone can see. Treat your employees like you care about them and not just the members

Members are 1st, employees can come and go management doesn't care.

Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsThe parking garage, and the gym, they have decent benefits although you have to wait 90 days before they start. Also if you can last, they offer a pension plan after 8 years of employment.

ConsManagement, expresss very little concern for the employees, after 3 years of employement they seem to do everything possible to force you to leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your current employees, stop trying to make them leave just to keep hiring new people over and over again.

The opportunities that we were told were available arent which creates a very low morale amongst employees.

Direct Sales Licensed Insurance Agent Property and Casualty (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros1. Management is very flexible with your work shift/schedule. You are able given one hour to arrive to work and you're not considered late until you're 1 hour and one minute late.
2. Your Property and Casualty License is reimbursed by the company. Training materials to study are also provided.
3. 24 hour workout facility on site as well as a full service cafeteria
4. You can receive up to 10 occurrences before you get a verbal. (This includes missing a whole day of work unplanned and being late)

Cons1. If they pay for your license/training you are required to sign a 1 year contract to be a captive agent to AAA and if you quit prior to that, $2000 on a prorated basis will be deducted from your last check.
2. The leads are MINIMAL. There are more agents than opportunities. They increased the sales force from 50 to over 100 and the leads remained the same. It's an incoming call center environment where you quote people that need insurance. It's very possible to go an entire day and not receive 1 call that results in a quote/sale.
3. The pay that the new hires were told to expect is extremely less than what we are actually making.
4. There is no loyalty to tenured employees. They have been getting terminated for performace, which declined across the floor when the sales force increased drastically.
5. Mandatory 1 Saturdays/month.
6. Being on the draw system for compensation. If you don't make more than the draw you owe the $ back and you're hit with cancels (for up to a year after writing new business) that cause your commission to plumet.
7. No casual dress days on Friday

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to agents that have dedicated years of service. If you treat your employees right that will be loyal and dedicated to the company.

Apply if just out of High School

Service Counselor II--Dispatcher (Former Employee)
Irving, TX

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsStarting out is decent pay, $12/hour--entry level, not much experience needed.
Nice location & building, with Gym in building

ConsAAA sometimes does not pay their bill to tow truck companies, making your job more difficult.
Pay raises annually are less than 25 cents, this applies to EVERYONE EACH YEAR.
Watch some people not do any work & others get promoted while you don't.
Lack of communication & appreciation. They care about daily stats almost more than assisting a member. Spend a lot of time fixing other people's mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead your employee surveys & actually try to fix your issues.
Have all employees of management go to Undercover Boss!!

My job is very interesting

Manager Corporate Communication (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsMost days my position requires a high degree of interaction with people inside and outside of the company. I enjoy the fact I'm challenged and a lot is expected of me. I work for good people

ConsSince I work in the Dallas area and my team members are spread across the state and country it is sometimes difficult to get a feel for how they're doing and how I can be a better team leader

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen travel is not available or required, most use of teleconferencing and video, such as we've done in Texas with SKYPE

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Automobile Association (AAA) reviews and ratings in Irving, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Automobile Association (AAA) CEO Robert L. Darbelnet. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by American Automobile Association (AAA) employees.