American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

3.1

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet
Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice offices and good training opportunities for employees (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management treats call center employees like slaves working in a sweat shop (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management had no idea about the working conditions in their department (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst employer I've ever been employed by

Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Medical, dental, vision, 401K and life insurance

Cons

he systems are horrible, management has their favorites if your not one of them nor eye candy then your a target, the rules don't apply to all, dress code doesn't apply to all, if you voice your opinion your a target to be fired, can't go to HR with any concerns that'll also make you a target you'll be fired the following week, any medical emergencies or DR appointments are unexcused and an occurrence yes even with a note), all of management and supervisors are on different pages so the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, final warnings are given without a verbal first, the employees are never made aware of changes until weeks after they happen, if disciplined management will make sure they have a witness but the employee isn't allowed to have a witness so it's your word against there's and there word will be very much incorrect, advised to go to your supervisor if anything needed but the supervisors never complete what your asked. Not loyal to employees, The supervisors are scheduled 40 hours a week but only actually work about 20 (if that), don't put in a 2 weeks notice of you resign because they'll let you go within the next few days after you put in your resignation letter and employees are told which other employees they can and can't talk too. I feel like I could go on forever and these are just a few of the cons.

You can't expect unhappy employees to provide top "legendary service" when they're treated poorly

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Customer Advocate I  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate I in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is NO good reason to work here unless you want benefits and even those aren't great.

Cons

Worked as "Customer Advocate" (apparently they don't know the meaning of advocate.) Just laid off in April with 128 other people. Taking road service calls. 5 page script - if you miss one item you fail the call. You are recorded. You are micromanaged to death. You cannot make any suggestions or comments. If you try to go any higher than your supervisor you are written up. There's no advancement. Also calltakers were melding into dispatchers over the past few months. Drivers have quit because they no long pay them for gone on arrival calls. I think drivers have quit or been let go because the wait times have escalated. Used to be within 45 mins - now wait time in most places 1-2 hours. So called "priority" calls (like on the interstate) are no longer a priorty tho they tell you that. Recently had to experience that first hand when broke down in Lakeland (live in Pinellas a 40 min drive). Broke down on interstate. 5 people - two elderly two diabetics. What water we had we put in car. It was rainy, getting dark, no bathroom, no food, no water. Called AAA - said it would be priority. Called an hour later to inquire where driver was and they said were having a hard time finding a driver that wanted to drive to Pinellas. Friend came and picked up the 3 ladies and the men stayed with the car. Ladies waited til driver called at 9:50 saying he would be there soon so we left. They said driver showed up at 10:10 - 3 hours after we called. (we stopped quick to go to use a restroom at a gas station) We got to our street and the tow truck was there. The guys said he drove 80 miles an hour the entire way. I wouldn't recommend anyone working here even if it was the only thing available. The stress is simply not worth it. The money is crap for what you have to go through and do. You have no say - it's just do your job and shut up. I see AAA going downhill- no one needs maps anymore with GPS and everyone can do their own travel arrangements online. Auto Vantage has a much better deal for less price and you get more (150 miles towing, home/car lockout and when you call them they can find you immediately - a technology AAA only has for 2 phone services.) Can't tell you how many calls I took where the member had no clue where they were at and expected us to find them!

AAA Car Care is a joke for a mechanic, Jiffy Lube is better!

Former Employee - Car Care Technician  in  Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Car Care Technician in Apex, NC

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time

Pros

Lifetime AAA membership
    Closed Sunday and holidays
    Uniforms paid after 90 days of service

Cons

Very low pay. Entirely commission based.
    No customers means NO MONEY!
    Bad location for a store
    High expectations for the pay
    Long, boring days
    No holiday pay

Try caring about your employees instead of profits. And stop lying to people and the government and saying you are non-profit. Everyone knows you make millions!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible company since the merger took over!!! They do not value their employees at all.

Former Employee - Claims Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love the employees there. Also, you have some freedom and are not really micromanaged, depending on the manager.

Cons

Terrible benefits, terrible claims handling practices, no training department/plan, dinosaur computer systems, you never have the tools needed to complete your every day job functions, promised things which never happen. Lots of "behind your back" talking by management. TERRIBLE BONUSES! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!! TERRIBLE HIRING DECISIONS!!!

Pay what people are really worth, express interest in those who are of value to the company, reward those who work the hardest for you, hire employees that actually have a brain ... or better yet experience. Oh, and background checks on new hire candidates would be nice too! Half of the people you are hiring have been FIRED from their prior companies and are lying to you about it!!!! Promote within.

I'd rather be unemployed

Former Employee - ERS  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - ERS in Long Beach, CA

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for less than a year

Pros

free coffee , discounted (barely) membership, lots of free snacks

Cons

management/supervisors and the like are all uneducated. training class is super long and tedious & bOOOOring . all they do for 6 weeks in training is tell you how amazing AAA is, and it's not. You don't even get a desk, you have to wipe down a desk with disinfecting wipes before you shift because someone sat there before you, chairs smell because everyone uses them, moral is ZERO. Everyone is scared they're going to get fired - and they usually do. AAA is a money hungry company, once you work there you'll see....Seriously fast food places start more than what you'd make here. Look elsewhere.

Want to be a face that people respect, take some of your "management" money and get some dental work, I've never seen so many missing teeth in my life!

Downhill.....John ruined it

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

Hopefully it will return to glory days. PTO is the only decent benefit. Pretty hard to get fired if you do you job, unless it's your business units time to be reviewed by Michigan, then you will get laid off any way

Cons

John Tomlin sold out the south! So now the pay, benefits, career opportunity, everything is dismal. Everything ran from north...,.and try don't have a clue. They think we are good at Travel.....lol!!!

Pay attention to what departments make money & pay people accordingly. FYI Michigan doesn't always have the right process. Your actually pretty unorganized and useless - thanks again John

ERS Field Manager

Former Employee - ERS Field Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - ERS Field Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Good Training programs, provide a company vehicle

Cons

You can get fired for wanting to transfer to another Dept.
    One day, everything is fine, the next, you receive a performance warning and are being forced out. HR takes the side of the manager 100%, even if they know the warning is bogus.

Utilize your employee's assets, don't railroad those who want to transfer. Show a little respect for the employee.

Bully management, poor team environment

Former Employee - IOS Developer  in  Heathrow, FL
    Former Employee - IOS Developer in Heathrow, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good for contractors

Cons

Company doesn't have a direction on building their products

If someone quit their job and put their notice to finish in good terms, it looks very bad to terminate their contract right away because of it.

Flexible hours are also encourage and please add a kitchen space for people to bring their food from home instead buying the food from your cafeteria.

A dysfunctional environment

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met some very talented people. Unfortunately management discouraged collaboration & friendships.

Cons

Working for inexperienced, insecure individuals who would rather "rule" the department by keeping all paranoid and on a short leash. (At one point they were actually going to make us raise our hands if we wanted to use the restroom.)

Learn how to manage by being professional. No that doesn't mean go to Macy's and buy another outfit to try and show off your assets. This is not high school. That means stop gossiping/being petty, stop employee favoritism and learn how to build a team of people that want to work hard for you. Empower your employees to provide the best end product, after all you hired them. Provide praise when someone goes the extra mile. And enough with the mind games!

"A Hiring Mill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

They are constantly hiring and then firing their sales staff and managers. No one stays at this branch for very long. Frequently, customers walk into the branch and ask the sales people, are you going stay with the company? If you enjoy chaos, and constant changing of the expectations, rules and management then you will love it here !

Make a financial investment in your staff and have them mentored properly.

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!